1. Standard memberMrVarnell
    The Unteachable
    Over yonder
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 13:42
    They won that game becasue of the momentum shift in Kobe after the Paul Pierce acting debacle. Thats rediculous! You dont call running into people like a full back, but you call a flail of the arms and a ridiculous fall. it was a sham.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 14:021 edit
    Originally posted by MrVarnell
    They won that game becasue of the momentum shift in Kobe after the Paul Pierce acting debacle. Thats rediculous! You dont call running into people like a full back, but you call a flail of the arms and a ridiculous fall. it was a sham.
    This is possibly the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

A championship caliber team doesn't blow a 24 point lead because of one questionable call.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 15:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Prediction time:

I think this game will be considerably higher scoring with both teams getting into triple digits; I don't expect both teams to shoot as poorly as they did in Game 3. Barring foul troubles, I think the Celts will go with their starters for more minutes - that's been a pattern in games they felt they had to win (though here t ...[text shortened]... ater and ridicule me if and when some of these predictions don't come true. So be it.
    Jesus, I pretty much got everything wrong about the game but the result! But who could have POSSIBLY predicted what did happen?
  4. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 18:23
    Originally posted by MrVarnell
    When you're running like that and someone hits you even a little bit, its often times enough to throw off your equilibrium. From what I could see, Kobe made a small amount of contact, not enough to call foul in my opinion. Fact remains, from the way pierce was running that could have been a legitimate reaction.
  5. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 18:32
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Dumb luck my arse!! They won that game on sheer guts and determination and the fact that they started shooting lights out in the 3rd quarter.

I'll agree with you though that it was embarrasing for the Lakers. One thing I've learned from this series is that a team full of Euro-pussies doesn't have what it takes to win in crunch time in the NBA.

I actuall ...[text shortened]... cuses after the game after he let Ray Allen waltz in for a layup in crunch time says it all.
    I was using the term sheer dumb luck very loosely. Regardless, they didn't make make it back in the game on sheer guts and determination, they made it back because LAL sucked just as much as they did at the end of the game as Boston did in the beginning.

I don't feel bad for Kobe whatsoever. Sasha V. and Radmanovic are both very talented, Bryant is exceptional. Once again we all know how good Kobe is including him. So its only okay for him to screw up because he's the talent. There's been plenty of times where he did dumb maneuvers.
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 18:49
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Dumb luck my arse!! They won that game on sheer guts and determination and the fact that they started shooting lights out in the 3rd quarter.

I'll agree with you though that it was embarrasing for the Lakers. One thing I've learned from this series is that a team full of Euro-pussies doesn't have what it takes to win in crunch time in the NBA.

I actuall ...[text shortened]... cuses after the game after he let Ray Allen waltz in for a layup in crunch time says it all.
    Well half of what you said was right, the Celtics were very determined, but IMO, the Lakers gave that game to the Celtics. After they got that 24 point lead, they started settling for long jumpers and threes, low percentage shots that lead to long rebounds and fast breaks. And as I have been saying all along, the fast break is the strongest part of their offense because it gets their shooters wide open looks; in the first game, Pierce alone made about 6 of 7 threes in transition. It was very frustrating to watch as a Laker fan. Kobe's shot selection during the majority of the game consisted of long two's, the worst shot in the NBA; he didn't actually attack the rim until crunch time, but it was too little too late. If anything, that was the one critical flaw in Kobe's leadership last night, he definitely didn't lead by example. Let me tell you right now, don't get fooled by that Curt Shilling article, he doesn't know half the stuff that Kobe says in practice, in the locker room, and on the court, especially during an emotional game in one of the loudest arenas in the Association. IMO, that was just another piece of propaganda produced by the Boston Globe that they used to fuel the rivalry; there was no factual information in it, it was just one big conjecture.

And about Sasha...

Were you expecting help on that?
    Vujacic: No. Doesn’t matter, help or not. With him I was supposed to be more aggressive and not let him break the top of the key and again tomorrow I can re-watch the game and there’s nothing to say about it. It’s a tough loss. It hurts. But we’re not done yet. And like I said, it should be a good test for us.

What excuses are you talking about?
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 18:56
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    When you're running like that and someone hits you even a little bit, its often times enough to throw off your equilibrium. From what I could see, Kobe made a small amount of contact, not enough to call foul in my opinion. Fact remains, from the way pierce was running that could have been a legitimate reaction.
    Kobe's a smart player, he should know that Pierce likes to draw fouls and that he is very good at. That being said, Kobe definitely was out of position when he was guarding Pierce on that possession. From what I remember, he was playing him tight near half court and Kobe didn't give himself any space to recover on a drive. Thus, Pierce attempted to drive on Kobe, and Kobe's slide impeded Pierce's progress. Good call, it was definitely a foul. Oh, and fyi zak, the refs called the same foul on Pierce in game 3 during crunch time.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 20:33
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Well half of what you said was right, the Celtics were very determined, but IMO, the Lakers gave that game to the Celtics. After they got that 24 point lead, they started settling for long jumpers and threes, low percentage shots that lead to long rebounds and fast breaks. And as I have been saying all along, the fast break is the strongest part of th ...[text shortened]... And like I said, it should be a good test for us.

Here is the Sasha excuse making that I was referring to:

"The whole game, from the minute I came in, they called fouls on me. He fell down, foul. I was trying to find a way to guard him for 48 minutes, and everything I did was a foul. He got me. He went to the basket, and it was a good basket. I don't know what else to say," Vujacic said, half-forlorn, half-disgusted as he stood in front of his locker in a morose Lakers dressing room."

And lets not forget his hissy fit shown again on the 4th video in this link:

http://redsarmy.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/this-is-awesome/
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 20:37
    Well half of what you said was right, the Celtics were very determined, but IMO, the Lakers gave that game to the Celtics.
    Why is it with so many fans that when the other team beats your team that it's always your team that "gave" it away. It's never "they just beat us". Always "we gave it away".

The Lakers gave the Celtics nothing. The Celtics won that game because they are the better team and it shows.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 23:04
    Well half of what you said was right, the Celtics were very determined, but IMO, the Lakers gave that game to the Celtics. After they got that 24 point lead, they started settling for long jumpers and threes, low percentage shots that lead to long rebounds and fast breaks. And as I have been saying all along, the fast break is the strongest part of th ...[text shortened]... And like I said, it should be a good test for us.

According to the stats, the Celtics scored only 4 fast break points and only 6 points off turnovers. http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=2008061213

The real difference in the game was that the Celtic bench, primarily Posey and House, absolutely outplayed the supposedly superior Laker bench. The latter was only 5-21 with a mere 15 points; while the Celts were 11-28 (still not great) with 35 points. The Laker second squad was awful esp. Sasha and Farmar (who had played so well in Game 3).
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 19:48
    The Lakers pulled out Game 5 though they blew another big lead. Game 6 is tonight and it looks like Kendrick Perkins will be out again. Without his defensive presence last game, Garnett got into early foul trouble and Gasol and Odom were able to play effectively in the paint. I wonder if Doc will give some playing time to "Big Baby" Glen Davis who has the bulk (about 290 lbs) that Perkins has and that PJ Brown and Leon Powe lack on the defensive end. He's played sparingly the last two rounds, however.

All the games have been close and I expect another dogfight tonight. But I think the Celts will find a way to get it done.
  12. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 21:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Lakers pulled out Game 5 though they blew another big lead. Game 6 is tonight and it looks like Kendrick Perkins will be out again. Without his defensive presence last game, Garnett got into early foul trouble and Gasol and Odom were able to play effectively in the paint. I wonder if Doc will give some playing time to "Big Baby" Glen Davis who has th ...[text shortened]... and I expect another dogfight tonight. But I think the Celts will find a way to get it done.
    Perhaps but we shall see. 🙂 With Perkins out, their defense is MUCH weaker. It is still good but much weaker. If the Lakers can continue to contain Garnett and if they are able to shut down Paul Peirce, then they should win the game. But Odom needs to have a big game as well as Kobe. Kobe hasn't done much this series other than that 34 point game in game 3. I think the Lakers can pull off the upset and make this series interesting. If they do, then game 7 is anybody's game. The Celts may have the homecourt advantage, but the Lakers should have the momentum going into game 7 if they win tonight and that should even things out.
  13. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 03:441 edit
    I think its safe to say when theres a 38 point lead with 2 minutes left, that Boston has this wrapped up.

Well, its official now. Boston are the National champions.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 04:18
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I think its safe to say when theres a 38 point lead with 2 minutes left, that Boston has this wrapped up.

Well, its official now. Boston are the National champions.
    Wow. I was sure it would go seven games.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 04:29
    With AUTHORITY!!!

They left absolutely no doubt who the best team in the NBA is right now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree