1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 May '08 12:40
    There's a lot of nonsense in the "Picks" thread, so I thought I'd start a new one focusing on the games and matchups.

In the first round, ALL the higher seeded teams won. Has that happened before?

So far in the second round, the home team is 11-0.

If these trends hold, every series will go to 7 games and the Celts will beat the Lakers in the Finals.

Anyone else have any observations and/or comments?
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's a lot of nonsense in the "Picks" thread, so I thought I'd start a new one focusing on the games and matchups.

In the first round, ALL the higher seeded teams won. Has that happened before?

So far in the second round, the home team is 11-0.

If these trends hold, every series will go to 7 games and the Ce ...[text shortened]... the Lakers in the Finals.

🙂 Interesting facts but I think the chances of that happening are quite slim. But it could happen and I'd love to see a Lakers-Celtics matchup. The last time that happened was I believe in 87 and the Lakers won that championship.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 May '08 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    🙂 Interesting facts but I think the chances of that happening are quite slim. But it could happen and I'd love to see a Lakers-Celtics matchup. The last time that happened was I believe in 89 and the Lakers won that championship.
    I wouldn't mind a Celtic-Laker series either; the Celts routed LA twice this year. Kobe was almost as ineffectual in those two games as LeBron has been in the first two games of the present series. I'm sure Boston would use a similar scheme in a Celt-Laker final.
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:101 edit
    I wouldn't mind a Celtic-Laker series either; the Celts routed LA twice this year. Kobe was almost as ineffectual in those two games as LeBron has been in the first two games of the present series. I'm sure Boston would use a similar scheme in a Celt-Laker final.
    Just out of curiosity I can't remember. When the Lakers played the Celtics this year, did the Lakers have Gasol yet? Cause as a friend of mine pointed out, so far if Kobe has had a bad game, Gasol has had a huge game. But anyways the difference between the Lakers and the Cavs is that the Cavs have only one guy who can score and that's Lebron. The Lakers have several guys who can score if need be, they can all step up and have huge games at any given point. I feel the Lakers have the most depth in the league but I'll leave it up to you to agree.
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:121 edit
    Oh and I did some research. The Celtics have the most championships for a franchise at 15. The Lakers have 14 as a franchise and 9 since moving to L.A. The Lakers have the most all-time wins in the regular season and the playoffs and the best winning percentage in both categories. This is definitely the biggest rivalry in the NBA though we haven't gotten to see much of it since the 80's.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:16
    Just out of curiosity I can't remember. When the Lakers played the Celtics this year, did the Lakers have Gasol yet? Cause as a friend of mine pointed out, so far if Kobe has had a bad game, Gasol has had a huge game. But anyways the difference between the Lakers and the Cavs is that the Cavs have only one guy who can score and that's Lebron. The ...[text shortened]... nt. I feel the Lakers have the most depth in the league but I'll leave it up to you to agree.
    No, but they had Bynum playing, who I believed you said was a "monster". Of course, Kendrick Perkins embarrassed him in the first game and Bynum was ineffectual in the second.

The Cavs have 4 other players besides James who average in double figures; the present Lakers have only three.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:24
    Oh and I did some research. The Celtics have the most championships for a franchise at 15. The Lakers have 14 as a franchise and 9 since moving to L.A. The Lakers have the most all-time wins in the regular season and the playoffs and the best winning percentage in both categories. This is definitely the biggest rivalry in the NBA though we haven't gotten to see much of it since the 80's.
    Celtics have 16 championships.

But yeah is the biggest/most historical rivalry in the NBA. I think its going to happen again this year and I think it will be an epic series between two teams that I think match up pretty evenly. I wouldn't be surprised to see an overtime or two.
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:26
    No, but they had Bynum playing, who I believed you said was a "monster". Of course, Kendrick Perkins embarrassed him in the first game and Bynum was ineffectual in the second.

The Cavs have 4 other players besides James who average in double figures; the present Lakers have only three.
    But honestly if you take Lebron out of the game for the Cavs, they cannot win games and they've proven that so far. And if for some reason you take Kobe out, which is very hard to do even when being faced with double and triple teams, you still have other guys who can step up and make big shots. Farmar, Radmonovich, and Vujajic are all 3 pt threats. And as I've said if Kobe is having a bad game, Gasol is usually having a big game. It will be quite hard for a team to take out both Gasol and Kobe.
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:28
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Celtics have 16 championships.

But yeah is the biggest/most historical rivalry in the NBA. I think its going to happen again this year and I think it will be an epic series between two teams that I think match up pretty evenly. I wouldn't be surprised to see an overtime or two.
    Oh ok I was looking at the NBA champions for the last 60 years or so and just missed one. I apologize. Anyways this would be a great matchup and one that I think could go either way. A Gasol-Garnett matchup would be interesting.
  10. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 17:36

Ok in the playoffs, and I repeat the playoffs ONLY, the Lakers have 4 guys other than Kobe averaging 10 pts or more. The Cavs only had 3.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 May '08 18:00
    Oh ok I was looking at the NBA champions for the last 60 years or so and just missed one. I apologize. Anyways this would be a great matchup and one that I think could go either way. A Gasol-Garnett matchup would be interesting.
    It wasn't too interesting for Gasol the only time he played Garnett this year: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=2008010402

Gasol was only 3-13 while Garnett went 7-10. The rest of the Grizzlies played rather well; Memphis lost by only 4 in Boston.

Of course, the Lakers are a stronger offensive team than Cleveland, but they are a similar type team built around one player; the same type defense has been successful against LA. I don't count the Cavs out anyway though they must win the next 2 IMO.

BTW, have you noticed that there are other teams besides LA playing in the playoffs?
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 18:28
    Yea, the Celtics haven't won on the road yet this postseason, the Lakers have. lol, anyways there is still a round and a half until the finals, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I bet your praying that Mr. Big Shot doesn't recover from his injury huh no1marauder?
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 18:35
    Of course, the Lakers are a stronger offensive team than Cleveland, but they are a similar type team built around one player; the same type defense has been successful against LA.
    Wrong, the Lakers have the triangle offense, the Cavs just have Lebron. If the Cavs get swept I think they really need to fire Mike Brown, he is wasting Lebron's talent by using an inferior offensive system.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 May '08 18:36
    BTW, have you noticed that there are other teams besides LA playing in the playoffs?
    The Spurs/Hornets series has been amazing. I love the Paul vs Parker match up.
  15. Joined
    25 Mar '08
    Moves
    10 May '08 20:20
    GEAUX HORNETS!!!!!! On our way to bringing home the first championship ever to Louisiana lol.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree