NFL Playoff Prediction Thread

NFL Playoff Prediction Thread

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Ullr
It's true they should have beaten them in the AFC Championship last year even though the "dropped pass" was not a drop but was broken up by the defender. The Pats should have beaten the Ravens this year and lost also by missing an easy FG just like the Ravens did in last years AFCCG.

One reason I take the Pats in this one is their defense is better than i ...[text shortened]... he Pats are just a better overall team than the Ravens are used to seeing the past few years.
The "improved" Pats defense was still 29th against the pass this year. The Pats did not miss a FG in their game against the Ravens this year.http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320923033

Z

Moves
14 Jan 13
1 edit

Ravens and 49ers. If Ray Lewis wins the Super Bowl in his last year like this, I will have to consider the fact that there is indeed a God and he watches the NFL 😛

t

Moves
14 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
The "improved" Pats defense was still 29th against the pass this year. The Pats did not miss a FG in their game against the Ravens this year.http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320923033
And they usually stuff the run because the other teams are more one dimensional from being down which usually ends up with the Pats getting turnovers. I don't like the Pats but idiots like you are incapable of looking at the big picture.

Moves
14 Jan 13
3 edits

I stand corrected on the missed field goal. I was thinking of the Pats choke job against the Cardinals around the same time of year.

The Pats finished the season 9th in Points per game against. Ravens finished 12th. They were also #1 on the league in Turnover differential (a hugely important stat as everyone knows).

Yes on paper they look not so great against the pass in terms of yardage but two things I would point out.

1. They we're playing with a lead most of the season and so teams passed a lot more on them trying to play catch up.

2. They are actually middle of the pack when it comes to QB rating against. A more important stat than yardage.

3. The aformentioned turnover differential shows they are capable of making plays.

Then there is the eyeball test and anyone that's watched the Pats throughout the season can tell that their defense has gotten better especially with the addition of Talib at corner and the emergence of Dennard as a decent rookie corner on the other side. Now McCourty plays safety and he is much better at that position than corner and Gregory has also become a solid player for them as the year progressed.

I'm not trying to claim that their a great defense just that they are "improved" quite a bit over what the Ravens faced last year at this time and even earlier in the season. I don't think there is any doubt about it.

Edit: One last point. Their points allowed per game for the 1st half of season was 23.87. That went down to 20.12 for 2nd half. Talib joined the team for last 4 games and the average went down to 17.75 for those games.

Edit #2: Sorry, stats can get addicting. Passer Rating against 1st half of season 99.8. Second half 78.37. Last 4 games w/Talib 75.75. Huge difference. Huge improvement.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Jan 13

Originally posted by tomtom232
And they usually stuff the run because the other teams are more one dimensional from being down which usually ends up with the Pats getting turnovers. I don't like the Pats but idiots like you are incapable of looking at the big picture.
The crybaby really is angry about his team getting their comeuppance. BooHoo.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Jan 13

Originally posted by Ullr
I stand corrected on the missed field goal. I was thinking of the Pats choke job against the Cardinals around the same time of year.

The Pats finished the season 9th in Points per game against. Ravens finished 12th. They were also #1 on the league in Turnover differential (a hugely important stat as everyone knows).

Yes on paper they look not so great ...[text shortened]... 9.8. Second half 78.37. Last 4 games w/Talib 75.75. Huge difference. Huge improvement.
The Texans put up 425 yards and 25 first downs last week. The Pat defense is vulnerable esp. to the deep ball. Turnovers have saved them all year, but the Ravens protect the ball well - only Washington had fewer turnovers. And while they may have looked improved in the last part of the season against the fading Texans and punchless Jacksonville and Miami, they did allow 4 TD passes to CK three on deep balls. The vulnerability is there.

Moves
14 Jan 13
1 edit

The Texans put up 425 yards and 25 first downs last week. The Pat defense is vulnerable esp. to the deep ball. Turnovers have saved them all year, but the Ravens protect the ball well - only Washington had fewer turnovers. And while they may have looked improved in the last part of the season against the fading Texans and punchless Jacksonville and Miami, they did allow 4 TD passes to CK three on deep balls. The vulnerability is there.
A lot of that yardage (over half) came when they were down by 18 or more and had to just drop back and sling it and go for it on every 4th down. One of those 4th and 1 conversions appeared to be a bad call on the spot as well.

Nevertheless I don't think the Pats defense are world beaters or anything just better than they were at this time last year.

No doubt the Ravens are a tougher challenge for the Pats than the Texans. Flacco is a better QB than Schaub. Their defense is better than Houston's. The Vegas line is too high IMO. Ravens can win it and I won't be too surprised if they do.

t

Moves
14 Jan 13
1 edit

The crybaby really is angry about his team getting their comeuppance. BooHoo.
Not really and it wasn't comeuppance... don't know where you came up with that since they will be in the thick of it for years to come and Russel Wilson will prove to be better than Eli Manning while the Giants stink up the field.

The teams play next year in New York... we'll see what happens then.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
14 Jan 13

Haven't played so far, but:

49ers
Ravens

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Jan 13

Originally posted by tomtom232
Not really and it wasn't comeuppance... don't know where you came up with that since they will be in the thick of it for years to come and Russel Wilson will prove to be better than Eli Manning while the Giants stink up the field.

The teams play next year in New York... we'll see what happens then.
LMAO! If I thought you were trustworthy, I'd bet you $50 that the Giants finish with a better record than the Seahawks in 2013. I suspect your team will drop back to the mediocrity of most of its miserable history.

When Russell Wilson has a couple of rings and a better than a 1-1 post season record maybe you can start talking about him in the same sentence as Eli.

U

Moves
15 Jan 13

LMAO! If I thought you were trustworthy, I'd bet you $50 that the Giants finish with a better record than the Seahawks in 2013. I suspect your team will drop back to the mediocrity of most of its miserable history.

When Russell Wilson has a couple of rings and a better than a 1-1 post season record maybe you can start talking about him in the same sentence as Eli.
Betting the Giants have a better season than Seattle next season is a ballsy move.

I approve.

U

Moves
15 Jan 13

Come to think of it, I'm in for $20. The money goes to the charity of the other person's choice.

t

Moves
15 Jan 13

You're delusional. We have the second youngest team in the NFL and all of our key players are under contract. If you really believed that you would bet more than a measly 50 bucks. The Giants posting a better record than the Seahawks next year? LMAO! We had one of the toughest schedules this season, next year we'll have a tougher season (a few teams underperformed this season like the saints and the panthers and will probably be tougher next season) but we'll come out with a better record.

Z

Moves
15 Jan 13

I'll take some of that action too.

s

Moves
15 Jan 13

49ers and Ravens!