1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 16:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I take it from this that you're a vegetarian.

D
    I'll take that as sarcasm. What do you think would happen if there were a farm where they were torturing each animal for kicks rather than slaughter them and try to kill them as quickly as possible? What do you think would happen on this farm if there was a person smashing chickens to the ground for kicks and farm hands taking bets how many smashes it would take to kill the animal?

I eat meat, I'm eating as we speak. But I trust the government to regulate how these animals are treated and killed. I've eaten game animals that were killed by hunters, and I trust them to know what they were doing when they killed the animals.

I also trust that if someone is torturing an animal, that the laws laid to protect these animals will be stiff.

So Rags, please 'enlarge' on this subject... I've always trusted your reasoning skills.

P-
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:33
    People take off from work and go hunting because they think killing is a sport and fun, not because they have a civic duty to control animal population. It might be better to be killed by a hunter than electrocuted by Michael Vick, but it is not like hunter use sterilized syringes to perform euthenasia on animals. I am sure if you are a wounded animal being tracked, hunting does not seem like a fun activity and if you are lucky enough to escape and die a few days later maybe you'd be better off being electrocuted by Vick. Furthermore, there is no evidence that Vick went out of his way to kill dogs in an inhumane way, there is a probably a non-sadistic explanation for why dogs were drowned or electrocuted instead of shot like wild game (which apparantly would not bother a lot of you).
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:35
    Originally posted by poundlee
    1000s of dogs are killed ever day and no one cares. People are starving, people don't have homes and live on the street in cold area. No one cares if help or if the people die. But a few dogs .... not even cute pets, but the kind that would rip your head off, get killed and it is the crime of the century. He's so evil that he is not fit to play the over ...[text shortened]... her dog and walks down the street past people that have no roof over their head. Perspective.
    Again . . . yes there are bad things that happen every day, and many of them are worse than a dog begin tortured to death. The legal system even acknowledges this by setting the maximum prison sentence much much lower than that for murdering a human.

Simply put though, the frequent occurrence other horrible things has no bearing on Vick's crime. What he did was disturbingly sick and cruel. Case closed.
  4. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:39
    People take off from work and go hunting because they think killing is a sport and fun, not because they have a civic duty to control animal population. It might be better to be killed by a hunter than electrocuted by Michael Vick, but it is not like hunter use sterilized syringes to perform euthenasia on animals. I am sure if you are a wounded animal bei ...[text shortened]... r electrocuted instead of shot like wild game (which apparantly would not bother a lot of you).
    What does that have to do with Vick commiting a crime?
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:45
    People take off from work and go hunting because they think killing is a sport and fun, not because they have a civic duty to control animal population. It might be better to be killed by a hunter than electrocuted by Michael Vick, but it is not like hunter use sterilized syringes to perform euthenasia on animals. I am sure if you are a wounded animal bei ...[text shortened]... r electrocuted instead of shot like wild game (which apparantly would not bother a lot of you).
    You show your ignorance again. The dogs were tortured, and there were bets placed on how long they would survive.

Yeah, that would be great if a hunter couldn't find the deer, but Mike came along and kicked it's head in as a 'favor'.

Many people do hunt for pleasure, and it is there right to. People have been hunting longer than people have been farming. It is what people do. People have been killing for pleasure also, but much of that is outlawed because it's cruel and inhuman. Cock fighting, dog fighting is outlawed for a reason. Hunting is legal for a reason.

You are comparing 2 totally different things here, and it's flat out stupid.

P-
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:46
    Originally posted by torch71
    What does that have to do with Vick commiting a crime?
    Read some of my posts... I think this user is responding to things I've stated.

P-
  7. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Read some of my posts... I think this user is responding to things I've stated.

P-
    Got that, but there is no comparison from what Vick did and a hunter. One involes a crime and the other doesn't.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 17:51
    Some posters here ask, "Why does killing some dogs get all this airtime when much worse things happen everyday that go by unnoticed?"

I think these posters have confused the media blitz surrounding Vick's crime for an indication of the severity of his crime. The mass buzz around this case is only fueled by the nature of the crime to a minor degree. The real force behind the frenzy is the celebrity of the perpetrator. If the men who are now co-defendants in the case had committed their crime without any involvement from Vick, their story would probably amount to a three minute piece in the local news. It's Vick's celebrity that makes it a national story. Heck, it would still be a national story if all Vick had done was smoke weed.

This isn't to say that the heinousness of the crime has no effect. It is responsible for the overwhelmingly negative judgment cast upon Vick. If he had smoked weed it would still be a national story, but many of us would say, "Big deal." Here the response is much different. Taking pleasure in torturing animals, especially intelligent, trusting, obedient ones like dogs, makes Vick one very sick puppy and deserving of all the shame he now receives.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 18:02
    I take it from this that you're a vegetarian.

D
    Interestingly, I do have a problem with the way mass meat industry operates and have chosen to be a vegetarian. I drink little cow's milk for the same reason. Instead I drink soy milk which I've come to discover tastes better to me anyway. It's not something that I get up in arms about or try to push in others' faces. Just a personal choice. If I'm a guest at some one's house and they make a meat dish, I say, "Thank you," and eat it gladly.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 18:08
    Originally posted by torch71
    Got that, but there is no comparison from what Vick did and a hunter. One involes a crime and the other doesn't.
    It's painfully obvious that he's desperately grasping at straws here. I mean now he's moved from just downplaying Vick's crime to justifying it! We obviously have a major fanboy here who just cannot admit that his hero is a thug.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 19:18
    I think there is something pretty sick about getting pleasure in going out a killing animals (hunting) and the idea that people have done it for thousands of years makes in completely irrelevant. I am also more concerned about people who hurt people like Leonard Little (running someone over while driving drunk), Ray Lewis and Pacman Jones (hanging out with someone while they murder someone). No one says ban them for life. To me those are far worse people who were involved in far worse act but I guess they did not hurt a dog.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 20:55
    I think there is something pretty sick about getting pleasure in going out a killing animals (hunting) and the idea that people have done it for thousands of years makes in completely irrelevant. I am also more concerned about people who hurt people like Leonard Little (running someone over while driving drunk), Ray Lewis and Pacman Jones (hanging out with ...[text shortened]... ose are far worse people who were involved in far worse act but I guess they did not hurt a dog.
    I hope pacman is convicted and never plays again. Ray Lewis was charged with obstruction of justice... was it proven he was actually there while the women were killed, or was it a case of him knowing something he decided not to say? Was he there watching, if so... I agree on that point too. I'm not familiar with the case.

P-
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 13:51
    Personally, I don't think Vick needs to be banned for life. I have a feeling a long jail sentence combined with perhaps a 1-year suspension for violating the NFL's behavior policy and all the bad publicity will be enough to ruin his NFL days anyway.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 14:03
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I'll take that as sarcasm. What do you think would happen if there were a farm where they were torturing each animal for kicks rather than slaughter them and try to kill them as quickly as possible? What do you think would happen on this farm if there was a person smashing chickens to the ground for kicks and farm hands taking bets how many smashes it wo ...[text shortened]... ags, please 'enlarge' on this subject... I've always trusted your reasoning skills.

P-
    Just an observation on the hypocrisy of the apparent emotional response to this case (which, I'll have to admit to knowing nothing about).

If you think a battery chicken doesn't live a life of torture, you're living in lala land.
    http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/egg-battery.html

The fact that they face a life of torture so that people can eat the chicken that they love, at a price that they adore, means that the people who are up in arms at 10 dogs being tortured will willingly support the wholsale torture of millions of chickens.

Battery owners, like Vick, torture animals for money. But, the torture they inflict on their animals is part of big business, and accepted for its productivity and profit.

Of course chickens aren't as loveable as dogs either, are they?

You trust your government? LOL!!!

I'm not condoning Vick's apparent actions, just stating that unless you only eat organic, free range chickens/eggs, then you too are an animal torturer. On a GRAND scale.

D
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 14:24
    Just an observation on the hypocrisy of the apparent emotional response to this case (which, I'll have to admit to knowing nothing about).

If you think a battery chicken doesn't live a life of torture, you're living in lala land.
    http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/egg-battery.html

The fact that they face a life of torture so that people can eat th ...[text shortened]... ic, free range chickens/eggs, then you too are an animal torturer. On a GRAND scale.

D
    A sad thing about free-range chicken (I've heard) is all they need to do is crack the door for 20 minutes or so a day and it's now "free range".

I don't like the whole "Well this, this, this, this, this!" arguments. There are priests who rape kids, there are people starving in Africa, there's war in the middle east... so why do you care about Micheal Vick?! Whaaa!

Guess what, I do. I'm not going to grin and bear it just because there are worse things in the world, Vick has done something awful and unconscionable and I'm not needing to compare it to anything else.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree