1. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '10 05:52
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    24yrs ago since they retained the Ashes..what of Ponting now, great captain he's been but I really really hate his badgering of the umpires and another evident case should've been considered yesterday...not sure I know anyone that feels that 'habit' does him any favours !
    Is it REALLY such a big deal? It's a very competitive environment out there and I'm amazed at how well the players control themselves most of the time.. but are people soooooo offended by that? I'm not trying to defend Ponting but I reckon too much is made of it all..
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Dec '10 07:16
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Is it REALLY such a big deal? It's a very competitive environment out there and I'm amazed at how well the players control themselves most of the time.. but are people soooooo offended by that? I'm not trying to defend Ponting but I reckon too much is made of it all..
    Yes it is. In rugby, and I expect some other sports too, he would have been sent off the field for BS like that.
    What's worse is that him and Haddin were WRONG from the start of that debacle.

That sort of behaviour has no place in any sport, much less cricket. When it comes from an Australian captain who is losing an Ashes series badly and is under personal pressure to perform, then it just seems absolutely childish.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '10 13:531 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Yes it is. In rugby, and I expect some other sports too, he would have been sent off the field for BS like that.
    What's worse is that him and Haddin were WRONG from the start of that debacle.

That sort of behaviour has no place in any sport, much less cricket. When it comes from an Australian captain who is losing an Ashes series badly and is under personal pressure to perform, then it just seems absolutely childish.
    yes its the type of behaviour that has marred football (soccer) players badgering and harassing the referee, although its understandable to a degree, from the personal pressure that Ponting is under, he should realise that it sets a precedent and cannot therefore be tolerated.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '10 16:591 edit
    It's an even bigger deal than it is made out. Cricket is one of the few sports where respect for the umpires is still taken for granted even by the players, at least in civilised countries. Sledging your opponent is one thing, but sledging the umpire is simply unacceptable, and should be followed by a suspension. If you want to argue with your betters on the field, you can switch to footer, if you like, where that kind of behaviour is regarded as admirable. In that sport, boys will be boys, but please, Ponting and friends, keep it out of the games for men.

Richard
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 02:151 edit
    From where the aussie cricket team were looking from (looking at a huge screen of the replay) , they saw a white mark on hotspot.

Basically if the bigscreen wasn't showing the replay so quickly, while all the players can see while an appeal is still being considered, Ponting (and Siddle 😕 ), wouldn't have said anything.
    Perhaps they should delay replays before a decision is given (and possibly reviewed)?
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 09:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    From where the aussie cricket team were looking from (looking at a huge screen of the replay) , they saw a white mark on hotspot.

Basically if the bigscreen wasn't showing the replay so quickly, while all the players can see while an appeal is still being considered, Ponting (and Siddle 😕 ), wouldn't have said anything.
    Perhaps they should delay replays before a decision is given (and possibly reviewed)?
    Maybe.
    Still, arguing with the on-field umpires about a decision the third umpire made who has all the technology at his fingertips is just silly and childish, at best.
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Jan '11 06:211 edit
    Talking of technology and a decision affecting Ian Bell's overturned dismissal a while ago...why didn't the third umpire employ 'snicko' with this decision, has anyone an idea ?? I heard the 'time element' being alluded to, in that snicko takes a bit of time to review.. but surely it's something that really could, and should, be in the overall review \ decision !? It just seems at odds with the wonderful use of technology that cricket has led the world with, of that there is no doubt....
    Edit: Given the fact that this review would've enforced \ upheld the original umpires decision to give Bell out, I think it's employment should be all the more mandatory..any ideas on this or someone that understands the where withall a bit more than I do 😳
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '11 12:571 edit
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    why didn't the third umpire employ 'snicko' with this decision, has anyone an idea ?
    It's as you say - time. The Snicko analysis can't be provided to the third umpire fast enough for a decision to be reasonably made. If they ever manage to speed it up enough I'm sure it'll be used.

(In this particular case, I reckon the original decision should probably have stood - the decision's only supposed to be overturned if there's clear evidence. Hotspot can show contact was made, but it's not so good at proving contact wasn't made).
  9. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 14:40
    So now I've read almost every article and watched every podcast on the interwebs about this most enjoyable Ashes series, perhaps I can finally catch up with some sleep!

Would be nice to look forward to the World Cup, but I fear that it's going to be another tediously drawn out affair with too many pointless games. With seven teams in a group and four qualifying from each it seems like the ICC have tried to ensure that none of the big teams, and particularly India, goes out in the first round.

Have also watched some of the SA v India series, the first two games of which were fascinating. Shame about the third. Surely it would have been better for this series to have been five tests, so that we couild perhaps have had a more definitive outcome?
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 07:08
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Have also watched some of the SA v India series, the first two games of which were fascinating. Shame about the third. Surely it would have been better for this series to have been five tests, so that we couild perhaps have had a more definitive outcome?
    Absolutely. The top 2 test teams in the world really needs to face off in a 5 test series.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 03:351 edit
    Aussies absolutely smashed in the last test.
    Twas easily the worst ashes ever, that I've seen anyway.
    (Or the best if your an english supporter,yay😛 )
    But seriously, at least this will give the aussie test selectors a green light on making wholesale changes for the rebuilding of the aussie test team, which I believe are not playing again until September.

Thnx for all your comments people. I look forward to sharing my views with you all for the World Cup🙂
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 07:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Aussies absolutely smashed in the last test.
    Twas easily the worst ashes ever, that I've seen anyway.
    (Or the best if your an english supporter,yay😛 )
    But seriously, at least this will give the aussie test selectors a green light on making wholesale changes for the rebuilding of the aussie test team, which I believe are not playing again until Sept ...[text shortened]... r all your comments people. I look forward to sharing my views with you all for the World Cup🙂
    Do you think Ponting continue playing, or maybe just not as captain? Clarke?
    Haddin, Hussey and Watson will probably be safe. You guys need an opener who can bat for 6+ hours and a decent spinner.
  13. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 03:38
    Haddin, Hussey and Watson will probably be safe. You guys need an opener who can bat for 6+ hours and a decent spinner.
    Ponting and Clarke should both be dropped immediately and possibly never to play again. Australias talent pool is pretty thin and to find players to replace them is not easy. I am a fan of Tim Paine (who is a keeper but could play as a batsman only). Spinners are nowhere to be found. Katich was a fair opener but probably won't play again due to his injury and age now.
    Whatever the case, the Aussies had a terrific side for many years with lots of match winners (Hayden, Gilly, Warne, McGrath, (the old) Ponting etc) - now they are gone, the Aussies were always going to struggle.. and it's little wonder they have been thrashed. There are some good cricket sides out there..
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 07:38
    Ponting should become batting coach or assistant coach. But I assume he will try for another world cup win.
    Hughes is a decent openner, but has not delivered on the test stage.
    The spin thing is more of a problem. You need a decent winning team to raise up a new spinner. I think they should stick with Smith. Between him and the part-timers, they should be able to hold up an end. Not mention he can hold his own with the bat at no. 6 or 7 and is close to the best fielder on the team.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 07:42
    Ponting and Clarke should both be dropped immediately and possibly never to play again. Australias talent pool is pretty thin and to find players to replace them is not easy. I am a fan of Tim Paine (who is a keeper but could play as a batsman only). Spinners are nowhere to be found. Katich was a fair opener but probably won't play again due to his injury a ...[text shortened]... and it's little wonder they have been thrashed. There are some good cricket sides out there..
    Hold on there, I think Clarke has shown enough character over the years to warrant his re-selction in future test teams.
    I like Paine too, but Haddin is doing the job at all levels for the wicket keeper.

No need for knee jerk reactions. The current test team will only get better and has already some experince.
    You wouldn't want to replace half the team with even more inexperienced players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree