1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 23:47
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Why? Would you call it anything different, then?

Richard
    It entirely depends upon which epoch of history you are referring to.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 15:29
    They may. They very well may. But consider this... The Scots cricket team lost to the Dutch. Twice. Seriously, that's like losing a waterpolo match to Mali. You just shouldn't be allowed to talk about the sport for at least five years afterwards.
    Not a good example: the Netherlands have beaten England a couple of times, most recently in 2009.
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 17:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, yes but we are elephant polo champions of the world though and as far as i am aware there are no indigenous elephants in Scotland !
    Susan Boyle ?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 17:28
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Not a good example: the Netherlands have beaten England a couple of times, most recently in 2009.
    i am worried Matthew mate, watched an interview with Andrew Flintoff yesterday, he reckons that the Angles are in with as good a shout as any and will retain the ashes. He cited various aspects, Australia's recent form, the form of Swann and Anderson, Kevin Pietersen. I remember prior to the tour Alistair Cooke form was not very good and there was speculation about whether he would go, apparently his averages against Australia are not very good (20s i think) One interesting aspect that he mentioned was Swann who he reckons has reinvented the art of off-spin with which he reckons Australia dont play against too well. Worrying moments!
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 20:44
    It entirely depends upon which epoch of history you are referring to.
    Doesn't. It's the English Imperial Army. Always was, still is, always will be until you split from the Sassenach.

Richard
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 20:50
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Well, to be quite honest, on that last occasion our team mostly beat the boy Broad... man, what a miss. Poor boy.

Richard
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 22:501 edit
    Doesn't. It's the English Imperial Army. Always was, still is, always will be until you split from the Sassenach.

Richard
    no that is a erroneous, it is the British army, England is only one contingent, you may term it as you will but it is inaccurate. The real reason that we resent our cousins south of the border is that in events like the Ashes, you get four days of media cover for England if they win, they hire a bus and tour their country and we shall never hear the end of it, in fact if you are Scottish, you dare not open a newspaper or turn on the television, in the case of a Scottish sporting achievement about four minutes. It will be a cultural disaster for us if England win. This is the reason why i have a German football kit (muhaha) which i proudly wear and an Argentinian one too, in honour of the services rendered to us by Maradonna 🙂
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 01:58
    any predictions, my goodness i have had to convince myself that the Aussies really are not fifth in world rankings but are just sandbagging and that England have not really looked quite comfortable in the warm ups, any more and i am taking it to spirituality to ask for divine help!
    Aussies 2-poms 1
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 02:08
    Originally posted by obsesschess
    Robbie,

Good to reply to one of your posts outside of the spirituality forum 😉

Anyway, I am a cricket tragic and have the feeling the Aussies will really struggle this time around at home.

Some of the problems can be summed up as follows:

- recent performances by the Aussie team in all forms of cricket are dismal
    - no good attacking spinne ...[text shortened]... irst time in a long time. I am hoping I am wrong (1st test starts this Thursday in my home town)
    Oh ye of little faith!!
    Lets address acouple of points you've raised here-
    1.Clarke is a great player and will rise to the occasion. Remember when he broke up tih Bingle and the media circus surrounding that? Whyat did Clarke do the following day? He went out and made 168!
    2.Ponting, yoo will rise to the occasion and eaverage above 50.
    3. North and Hussey have been in bad form, but again all that doesn't matter. They too will rise to occasion. Do i need to remind you of Husseys last shiled innings when his test carrer was on the line? He blasted a 100.
    4.Atherton pointed out that this is the first time (in recent times) that the media has not been behind tha aussie team, trying to stir up a good story. Thats why its good they've left the bulk of experience there. They'll handle that media crap.
    5. Plenty of good pacemen in the Aussie team. All someone like Bollinger needs is a wicket and you wont be able to stop him after that.

I do admit that a lot will ride on the first test, and if either team gets their confidence up with a bag of wickets or a hundred, it could set the tone for the rest of the series.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 10:39
    any predictions, my goodness i have had to convince myself that the Aussies really are not fifth in world rankings but are just sandbagging and that England have not really looked quite comfortable in the warm ups, any more and i am taking it to spirituality to ask for divine help!
    It's a sad state of affairs for Scottish sport when one of her countrymen has nothing to champion apart from the scraps of American football and live off the faint hope that the Aussies will beat the English. A sad day indeed. I hear a minister has just been called to read Scottish sport her last rites.

She was revived for a short time last weekend when the Jocks beat the Boks but fell back into unconciousness when she heard the news that an Englishman is in charge of the team.

Your mission Agent Robinson, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate the Scottish rugby team................
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 11:461 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's a sad state of affairs for Scottish sport when one of her countrymen has nothing to champion apart from the scraps of American football and live off the faint hope that the Aussies will beat the English. A sad day indeed. I hear a minister has just been called to read Scottish sport her last rites.

She was revived for a short time last weekend wh ...[text shortened]... n, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate the Scottish rugby team................[/i]
    yes we beat the mighty Boks, media attention on the BBC (the last minute of victory), about a 40 second video, If you manage to beat the Aussies we and our children will be living with it for centuries to come. I hope the Aussies give you a good thrashing for at least we wont have to be forced to read about it in the newspapers as if it meant something significant to us living above Carlise! They should rename the BBC the EBC for that's what it amounts to, saying that dear Noobster I don't despise those south of the border, indeed i have many friends and relatives who reside there but it must be done so that we are not subject to further marginalisation. Andy Robinson is an honorary Scot, he came to us in our plight and joined the good cause, we are proud that he is at the helm of our thin raft.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 18:36
    no that is a erroneous, it is the British army, England is only one contingent, you may term it as you will but it is inaccurate. The real reason that we resent our cousins south of the border is that in events like the Ashes, you get four days of media cover for England if they win, they hire a bus and tour their country and we shall never hear the ...[text shortened]... roudly wear and an Argentinian one too, in honour of the services rendered to us by Maradonna 🙂
    It's a good job "us sassanachie's " do not re-pay the compliment regarding the shirts . It would cost us thousands of pounds buying all the team shirts of countries that had marmalized Scotland in the past ...😛😉😏
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 20:05
    no that is a erroneous, it is the British army,
    Oh, is that what the Sassenach told you? And you believed it, too? Tsk...

The country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, true enough. But the Empire has always been exploited for, and the army always fought for, the benefit of the English only. Of course, they're careful enough to give the Scots and Gurkhas a shove in the back when things get hairy, but equally eager to shove them aside when it gets to the division of the loot. So yes, in unpleasantly clear fact, it's the Scots Highland Guards in the English Imperial Army.

Richard
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 22:491 edit
    Oh, is that what the Sassenach told you? And you believed it, too? Tsk...

The country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, true enough. But the Empire has always been exploited for, and the army always fought for, the benefit of the English only. Of course, they're careful enough to give the Scots and Gurkhas a shove in the ba ...[text shortened]... pleasantly clear fact, it's the Scots Highland Guards in the English Imperial Army.

Richard
    You mock us because we do not have our own sovereignty, what are we to do? chisel away the border and float England out into the Atlantic by means of a large stick? You could of course be correct that the army has only fought for the benefit of English interests, don't really know enough about it myself not being a fighting man, i prefer sleeping and fishing?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 00:041 edit
    naught for one after three balls - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree