World Champion Cincinnati Reds

World Champion Cincinnati Reds

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
04 Aug 13

I tried giving myself a thumbs down for starting this thread, but it would not let me. :'(

Never again will I doubt the superiority of the Cardinals. They reign supreme and always will. What other ball club and jetison the best ball player of our time in Prince Albert right before he begins to slump and then build another world champion team without missing a beat?

As much as I think that the Cardinals are indeed Satan's spawn, I must give credit where credit it due. Even the Reds got better after picking up their rejects.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by whodey
I tried giving myself a thumbs down for starting this thread, but it would not let me. :'(

Never again will I doubt the superiority of the Cardinals. They reign supreme and always will. What other ball club and jetison the best ball player of our time in Prince Albert right before he begins to slump and then build another world champion team without mis ...[text shortened]... ust give credit where credit it due. Even the Reds got better after picking up their rejects.
Your comments about this team are banal, wistful at best. It's only early August!

I can't believe a Reds fun would post this bunk.
You're obviously forgetting the team from Pittsburgh that's taking the division by storm. (If you actually believe what you're saying lol)

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
05 Aug 13

Reds are right where they want to be... why the long face?

w

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by SmookieP
Reds are right where they want to be... why the long face?
The Reds just got handed their arse 2 games out of 3 games by losing each game by about 10 runs.

Looking at history, when the Reds play the Cardinals I would say that they win about 1 out of 10 games. Looking at history, we can see domination by the Cardinals in their division with recent World Champion for as long as I can remember.

Sure, the Reds may make it to the playoffs like the Pirates, but in the end they still have to beat the Cardinals, who will go all the way this year.

Mark it down, the Cardinals are as good as world champions this year.

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
05 Aug 13

The Reds just got handed their arse 2 games out of 3 games by losing each game by about 10 runs.

Looking at history, when the Reds play the Cardinals I would say that they win about 1 out of 10 games. Looking at history, we can see domination by the Cardinals in their division with recent World Champion for as long as I can remember.

Sure, the Reds m ...[text shortened]... all the way this year.

Mark it down, the Cardinals are as good as world champions this year.
Hmmm, the Pirates are 7-3 against the Cards and last time I checked the Cards have a losing record against teams above .500....just sayin'😉 There are still roughly 50 games to play, though.

w

Moves
06 Aug 13

Originally posted by Chaswray
Hmmm, the Pirates are 7-3 against the Cards and last time I checked the Cards have a losing record against teams above .500....just sayin'😉 There are still roughly 50 games to play, though.
The Pirates have something to prove. To date they have not done that even if they win the division.

As for the Reds, their best starting pitcher appears to be history and the part time Cingrani they brought up seems to now be their best starting pitcher.

As for the rest of them, Phillips is no clean up hitter and they now have the worst short stop in team history with Cozaar.

What is sad is this is the best team the Reds have had since probably the early 1990's.

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Aug 13

The Pirates have something to prove. To date they have not done that even if they win the division.

As for the Reds, their best starting pitcher appears to be history and the part time Cingrani they brought up seems to now be their best starting pitcher.

As for the rest of them, Phillips is no clean up hitter and they now have the worst short stop in t ...[text shortened]... aar.

What is sad is this is the best team the Reds have had since probably the early 1990's.
I'm curious as to what you think the Pirates "have to prove, even if they win the division"? This is a team that hasn't finished over .500, or made the playoffs since '92. A team handcuffed by low revenue and an owner who doesn't spend wildly...a small ball team. They haven't been to the World Series since "79. Are you saying their season will be a disaster if they don't win it all? Hardly, just ask the Pirate fans starved for a winner😀

w

Moves
09 Aug 13

I'm curious as to what you think the Pirates "have to prove, even if they win the division"? This is a team that hasn't finished over .500, or made the playoffs since '92. A team handcuffed by low revenue and an owner who doesn't spend wildly...a small ball team. They haven't been to the World Series since "79. Are you saying their season will be a disaster if they don't win it all? Hardly, just ask the Pirate fans starved for a winner😀
As I have said in the past, $$$ determines success in MLB. A low market team has not won a world series since the Marlins did it in the 1990's.

Every year low market teams seem to find their way into the playoffs, and then conveniently lose. There is always a small hope, but history proves me right in thinking the way I do.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
09 Aug 13

Your stats are flawed. Marlins did it twice, in '97 and '03. The D'Backs did it also. Tampa Bay went to the World Series as well, and got screwed by rain outs. Lame argument I say. The Yankees consistently have the biggest payroll, yet rarely have one the past 30 years or so. Duh.

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
09 Aug 13

As I have said in the past, $$$ determines success in MLB. A low market team has not won a world series since the Marlins did it in the 1990's.

Every year low market teams seem to find their way into the playoffs, and then conveniently lose. There is always a small hope, but history proves me right in thinking the way I do.
Well, that doesn't really explain why you feel the Pirates season won't be a success. As to the money thing, it doesn't always work either. One only has to look at the Marlins last year to prove that. After the 2011 season they spent mega-bucks on free agent signings, brought in Guillen and by mid-season 2012 they were dismantling the team due to the poor performance. I wouldn't really call the Cards a big money operation either, their payroll this year is around 102 M, right around the middle of the pack, the Pirates payroll is about 80M. I'd much rather have team chemistry than a bunch of high paid divas!! Every night now on the sports news the lead story is Arod this, give me a break and ban the idiot from baseball!!!!

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
10 Aug 13

I can't believe how good the pirates are doing and my braves.

w

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SmookieP
Your stats are flawed. Marlins did it twice, in '97 and '03. The D'Backs did it also. Tampa Bay went to the World Series as well, and got screwed by rain outs. Lame argument I say. The Yankees consistently have the biggest payroll, yet rarely have one the past 30 years or so. Duh.
OK, so 3 teams out of about 25 years.

Pfft.

Try watching the movie "Moneyball". It splains it all.

Basically, low salary teams can find ways to get into the post season, but usually that is as far as it can go when matched up against the better money teams.

w

Moves
11 Aug 13

Well, that doesn't really explain why you feel the Pirates season won't be a success. As to the money thing, it doesn't always work either. One only has to look at the Marlins last year to prove that. After the 2011 season they spent mega-bucks on free agent signings, brought in Guillen and by mid-season 2012 they were dismantling the team due to the poor p ...[text shortened]... ports news the lead story is Arod this, give me a break and ban the idiot from baseball!!!!
Pirates are dependent upon their pitching. Find a team that can match it and they will lose if the other team has better hitting. With high salary teams, this tends to be the case.

The Pirates may just pull it off, but then, as I've pointed out, it has rarely happened in recent times.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
12 Aug 13

Pirates are dependent upon their pitching. Find a team that can match it and they will lose if the other team has better hitting. With high salary teams, this tends to be the case.

The Pirates may just pull it off, but then, as I've pointed out, it has rarely happened in recent times.
Just about as "rare" as a Yankee's World Series Win in recent times.

FAIL

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
13 Aug 13

IMHO, in a short series, 5 or 7 games, good pitching "should" win most often. There are exceptions to that (see 1971 World Series), but it is an old baseball axiom!!