World Series

World Series

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by uzless
Garbage.

NFL, NBA, NHL all have salary caps.

You phlabit and pocketkings all make the same garbage argument.

MLB is the only major sport in North America without a cap. So move on to a better argument than just name calling....you bunch of cow tits.
MLB hasn't had a repeat champion since 2001 while it's the norm in the other sports you mention (well I, like 99% of people don't follow the NHL). In fact this year only 1 team made the playoffs that reached the playoffs in 2006. MLB is far more competitive and balanced than other sports so there isn't any need for a salary cap which is just another way to increase owners' profits.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Oct 07

Garbage.

NFL, NBA, NHL all have salary caps.

You phlabit and pocketkings all make the same garbage argument.

MLB is the only major sport in North America without a cap. So move on to a better argument than just name calling....you bunch of cow tits.
LOL.. Nice debate.

My opinion is right, yours is garbage... you tits!

Bravo.

P-

p

Moves
25 Oct 07

What north american major sport has the most competitive balance? Answer: baseball. No team has one more than one championship this decade. No team this season one more than 60% of its games. No team lost more than 40% of its games. No other sport had only one team make the playoffs this year that made it the year before. A salary cap merely redistributes owners profits. In the NFL and NBA salary caps some teams are good every year because they use other non-competitive methods (1) some teams have more sucess getting players to play below market value. Other teams have guys holding out and increasing salry or leaving via free agency (2) In the NBA, players max out but have very differing ability. So a team with Tim Duncan is always e good but a team with Eddie Curry and the leagues highest payroll always sucks. In the NFL, you can be better than your draft spot so for years Brady was great but was sort of underpaid because he was a 6th round pick (3) some teams actually outright cheat and you are limited in what you can do. The Niners when they were good cheated in the salary cap. The Patriots cheat with video cameras. Nevertheless you are limited in what you spend so you can't overcome cheating.

Read a book!

Moves
25 Oct 07

Getting back to tonight's game..

Sorry, but it's one more for the high rollers.. Boston goes two up after another gem by Schilling. Even with their obvious talent, the Rockies seem like boys competing with men.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Oct 07
4 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
MLB hasn't had a repeat champion since 2001 while it's the norm in the other sports you mention (well I, like 99% of people don't follow the NHL). In fact this year only 1 team made the playoffs that reached the playoffs in 2006. MLB is far more competitive and balanced than other sports so there isn't any need for a salary cap which is just another way to increase owners' profits.
here's a run down of the last 6 years of who made the playoffs..Yankees every year and Boston 4 times outta 6. And i'm only talking american league here...not up on the National league...especially considering NY and Boston have the leagues 2 highest payrolls.

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS

Call me crazy but that seems a bit repetitive. What possible evidence can you come up with to refute this???????????? 🙄

What's wrong with owners making profits? I have no problems knowing Ted Rogers made some cash if the Jays won the pennant with a league salary cap.

What's wrong with profits...are you guys communists or something?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by poundlee
What north american major sport has the most competitive balance? Answer: baseball. No team has one more than one championship this decade. No team this season one more than 60% of its games. No team lost more than 40% of its games. No other sport had only one team make the playoffs this year that made it the year before. A salary cap merely redistrib ...[text shortened]... video cameras. Nevertheless you are limited in what you spend so you can't overcome cheating.
No cheating in baseball?

As for who makes the playoffs year after year...read above.

You can't judge a league solely on who wins the actual championship. Look at what teams made it to the playoffs and then judge it.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
25 Oct 07

Wrong.

Most teams can't afford $194 Million in salary so they cannot build their team anyway they want.
You are not required to spend a fortune to have a good team. Arizona and Colorado were among the lowest payrolls in the game, yet they both advanced to the NL Series. You can build through the farm or through the pocketbook and free agency or a combination thereof. Free Agency gets you there quicker, but you are correct, everyone can't afford it. Personally, if cities would quit ponying up for expensive ballparks that they pay for out of tax dollars and force the teams to pay for their own stadiums, you would quickly see the salaries come way down. If the consumers would quit buying tickets to the games, you would see the salaries come way down. If the consumers would quit buying the products of the advertisers who pay MLB for ad time, you would see advertising revenue fall whihc would cause TV revenue to drastically decrease, which would cause salaries to fall. If the IRS would disallow the cost of advertising as a legal expense against earnings, you would see manufactures stop paying for advertising, TV would stop paying MLB for game rights, salaries would come way down, ballpark amenities would dwindle and the cost of a ticket would become afforable for everyone. Interesting domino effect. Until someone wakes up and smells the coffee though, it will be status quo, and the haves will usually outperform the have nots, because they have the cash to build a stronger team, but not always, as this season, in particular, has shown.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Oct 07

here's a run down of the last 6 years of who made the playoffs..Yankees every year and Boston 4 times outta 6. And i'm only talking american league here...not up on the National league...especially considering NY and Boston have the leagues 2 highest payrolls.

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS

Call me crazy but that ...[text shortened]... a league salary cap.

What's wrong with profits...are you guys communists or something?
There isn't anything wrong with profits, but don't you think they should go to the people actually blowing their joints, muscles and tendons out (the players) rather than a guy sitting in the office?

On top of that, they already profit. Sox and Yanks and other teams just make more profits because they know how to put a quality product out there for their fans.

P-

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You are not required to spend a fortune to have a good team. Arizona and Colorado were among the lowest payrolls in the game, yet they both advanced to the NL Series. You can build through the farm or through the pocketbook and free agency or a combination thereof. Free Agency gets you there quicker, but you are correct, everyone can't afford it. Person ...[text shortened]... ve the cash to build a stronger team, but not always, as this season, in particular, has shown.
When you consider there about 6 "Have teams" and about 24 "Have not teams" the odds are much better that if you are a HAVE team you will get into the playoffs much more often than if you are a HAVE NOT team as evidenced by....

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS

p

Moves
25 Oct 07

The Colts and the Patriots, the two best teams from last year are gunning for a perfect season again this year while teams like Miami have no wins. Certainly isn't like baseball where everyone wins between 40 and 60% of their games. Only one team made the playoffs in baseball the last two years and that team lost in the first round both years. How much more balance can their possibly be?
I think you are crying specifically about Toronto. So let's address that (1) every other division in baseball has more balance than the AL East but the Blue Jays did finish in second place in '06 ahead of the Red Sox. The Twins made the playoffs with a much lower payroll. (2) The Blue Jays won two World Series in a row in '92 - '93. Since then only the Yankees '98-'00 have repeated. The idea that you are a long suffering fan in a competitively unbalance sport is simply untrue.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by poundlee
The Colts and the Patriots, the two best teams from last year are gunning for a perfect season again this year while teams like Miami have no wins. Certainly isn't like baseball where everyone wins between 40 and 60% of their games. Only one team made the playoffs in baseball the last two years and that team lost in the first round both years. How much m ea that you are a long suffering fan in a competitively unbalance sport is simply untrue.
Are you even looking at the stats i've posted about 4 times now?? I'll post them again. NY and Boston have the 2 highest payrolls for the last 6 years. These are the results of who got into the playoffs. Refute this....please.

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Oct 07

When you consider there about 6 "Have teams" and about 24 "Have not teams" the odds are much better that if you are a HAVE team you will get into the playoffs much more often than if you are a HAVE NOT team as evidenced by....

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS
I think you're too focused on NY and Boston to realize there are also other teams who have been several times in a short span in the past 15 or so years.

Angels
Diamondbacks
Braves
Athletics
Padres
Mariners

I think you are complaining to and about the wrong thing. You need to tell the Jays to get THEIR act together, not complain about the teams that can actually do something, or the teams that pay more for something.

P-

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I think you're too focused on NY and Boston to realize there are also other teams who have been several times in a short span in the past 15 or so years.

Angels
Diamondbacks
Braves
Athletics
Padres
Mariners

I think you are complaining to and about the wrong thing. You need to tell the Jays to get THEIR act together, not complain about the teams that can actually do something, or the teams that pay more for something.

P-
A - you've got National League teams there who don't compete against boston and new york for a playoff spot.

B - the salary gap has shot way up since 15 years ago.

C - the few american teams you've listed had a couple of good years and then couldn't afford their good players anymore and had to let them go. More evidence of the salary gap having a detrimental effect.

D - No one has stated anythig to refute that salary and playoff appearances are directly related as evidenced by

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS

p

Moves
25 Oct 07

There is nothing to refute boston and the yankees have been the two best organizations year in year out this century. Just like the Patriots and the Colts in the NFL. That does not mean that there is anything wrong with the system. Someone has to be best. There is still more competitive balance in baseball than the other sports as I outlines above.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 Oct 07
1 edit

A - you've got National League teams there who don't compete against boston and new york for a playoff spot.

B - the salary gap has shot way up since 15 years ago.

C - the few american teams you've listed had a couple of good years and then couldn't afford their good players anymore and had to let them go. More evidence of the salary gap having a det ...[text shortened]... d as evidenced by

02 NY
03 NY & BOS
04 NY & BOS
05 NY & BOS
06 NY
07 NY & BOS
What does the salary cap going up have to do with it? The cost of EVERYTHING has gone up. If I was making 5K in the 50's or 8 million now I'm still getting paid what I expect.

Just because you pay a lot for a player doesn't mean they are worth it.

The NL teams need to compete against St Lois, the Yankee/Sox of the NL.

More teams than the Sox and Yanks have made it just as often as the Sox. You seem dead bent on ignoring that for the sake of whinging about money.

Mets paid the most in NL, and what did it get them?

P-