1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 May '09 23:18
    Originally posted by surtism
    Because both Atri and Heng were accused of cheating the system, unfair play and being inconsiderate. Therefore, if somebody can play that number of games without the 'cheating' they were accused of, then all those who were involved with this diabolical behavior will we them an apology.

Righting a wrong, in short.
    If you play that many games and keep up with them then you are not doing what atri did. He "sat" on games and let his clock run completely out without moving and entered more tournaments at the same time. Will people please finally get it thru their thick skulls that that was the problem? I have said repeatedly that I don't care how many games someone plays (I do not want a limit) or whether they use vacation (if you have it use it.) What was offensive about the whole pathetic episode (wasn't here for Heng) was that this guy had no intention of actually playing 2000+ games thus he was being dishonest by promising to play when he did not intend to honor that promise. I also never said that he broke the rules That is why I called for a change of the rules (no tournament entry while flying vacation flag) instead of throwing him off the site.

I personally don't care how many games someone takes on (that is their business) as long as they are actually playing. Likewise I don't care at what pace you play (as long as you're meeting your obligations to your opponents.) I have pointed out also (endlessly) that the danger of this kind of disrespectful behavior is not what one irresponsible person may have done but that 10 or more behaving this way could ruin the site for people who did act responsibly.

Please use your brain and think this thru! It is not very difficult to understand what this was all about. Go look at some of his sparkling 2 and 4 move games and then come back here and tell me he is your hero. You would have to be a very shallow and alienated person to find any joy in wasting so much of other people's time. Surely you can see that?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 02:15
    Frankly I see no problem with him "sitting" and "losing" all his rating points.

hey! he chose to spend his $30 doing it, the main problem i see is that

your impatient. The timebank takes care of the problem eventually, so

why worry about him?
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 03:04
    Because both Atri and Heng were accused of cheating the system, unfair play and being inconsiderate. Therefore, if somebody can play that number of games without the 'cheating' they were accused of, then all those who were involved with this diabolical behavior will we them an apology.

Righting a wrong, in short.
    actually, it doesn't follow from the fact that one player can take on that kind of gameload, that others were not acting inconsiderately. if you restrict yourself to longer timeout tournaments and play quickly, then perhaps you can handle 2000+ games without inconveniencing others, but that is not what these other players were doing Atri in particular had to resort to throwing up his vacation flag when massive numbers of his games exceeded their timeouts, and it eventually caught up with him.

if making the kind of point you mentioned is your main motivation for embarking on this, i would say 'do't bother', because you won't actually be making that point at all.
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 04:43
    Originally posted by chessisagame
    Frankly I see no problem with him "sitting" and "losing" all his rating points.

hey! he chose to spend his $30 doing it, the main problem i see is that

your impatient. The timebank takes care of the problem eventually, so

why worry about him?
    So you're not here to play chess? Just amass rating points so you can ...?

I can't speak for everyone but I didn't pay my money to sit around and wait to time-out some knucklehead so I could do a Tom Cruise dance. I paid my money to play chess with other chess players. Ratings, tournament victories, gold stars from my preschool teacher don't mean much when weighed against the eventually of death and whatever time I have left in this life. I'd much rather lose rating points than time. But hey, you have a right to your preferences (and so do I.)
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 11:17
    Originally posted by TerrierJack

... but I didn't pay my money to sit around and wait to time-out some knucklehead so I could do a Tom Cruise dance. I paid my money to play chess with other chess players.
    57 games finshed to date

11 games won by timeout

Thats nearly 20%

What happened to the I paid my money to play chess with other chess players ?
  6. Blighty
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 11:44
    Thanks to all for their comments, I will post updates as and when I can and will see how it goes.

Marauder - look up Constructive.

Terrier - Thanks for your comments, but have you tried to play chess on here much? You dont seem to try very hard, just winge at a system that works perfectly well for most on here. There are thousands of active players who will play you at a fast pace, why worry about one or two who play within the riules. If you only want a fast game then choose the hardcore tournis (Im in three at the monent and don't believe that I am slowing them down too much), or one day move games. Its easy to play your own type of game if you get off your ahem - I mean to say look for them.

Thanks all
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 12:411 edit
    First off, I do play and timeout those who don't.

I have already explained that I am playing less games now for 2 reasons: 1. I have been on actual vacation recently (and never put the flag up and never timed out.) 2. atri entered every tournament (even the fast ones) so I purposely did not enter the tourneys he was in (didn't leave much because his scope was wide and as you would determine if you looked at his current activity his commitment was not even skin deep.)

AND for the umpteenth time: I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PACE OF PLAY! If you have the time use it any way you like within the rules - I fully support your right to do so. I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT CONTRACTING TO PLAY GAMES THAT YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING! If you plan to PLAY 2000+ games then all I can say is "have fun." That was not what atri was doing. He was only increasing the number of games he promised to play. If those games were NOT IN TOURNAMENTS I would NOT HAVE A PROBLEM because his opponents could have chosen not to waste their time by believing his promises but in a tourney you don't have choice. A game is assigned to you. I just want players who enter tourneys to appreciate the fact that they are making a promise. Players were hurt because for every one of those tourneys there was most likely someone who would have gladly taken his slot and fulfilled their obligation to play.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:261 edit
    You are right in saying that that behaviour is not abusing or cheating. However, people questioning this manner of playing are not taking part in 'diabolical behaviour'. The actual amount of people calling the use of the vacation flag in this manner abusive are very limited and have in my opinion been corrected in the previous threads.

As you have surely read all the arguments in the other threads and as has been indicated in this one, the point is not whether you will manage to play 2000 games and keep your rating going. Playing 7/7 games you will surely reach your goal, the point is that Atri does not manage to keep his games going.

Timeouts and resignations are fine, but if you are being timed-out due to infrequent moving, why sign up for more tournaments? I don't think it is wrong to question that (in a non abusive or accusing manner). For the argument as to what actually is the problem, see my post in the arti thread, in my opinion it affects both ratings and tournament outcomes. (While it is possible to questioning whether that actually matters, I would say that you then question the entire reason of playing tournaments and having ratings and most of us care.)

Therefore, I wish you luck in your attempt, but personally I would only do it because you want to, not to prove people wrong.

On a side note, I really enjoy the quality of posts on this forum, there is very little abuse. Let's keep it that way, there are enough forums on the internet to learn new ways of calling each other names.
  9. Blighty
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:26
    Sorry Terrier dude, but why didn't you enter any tourni's he was in?

What was your beef?

Lets consider a 3/7 duel with 16 people in it. You have a 1 in 15 chance of getting Atri in the first round, which is lower than 7% chance, therefore you are more likely to get somebody else. With a 3/7 tourni and a very limited vacation time remaining it was most likely that Atri would either (a) be timed out, or (b) play nicely, before the remaining games have finished. Therefore not delaying the tourni at all, and for the poor/lucky person drawing Atri its an equivilent of a first round bye.

Or a threesome with 21 competitors, you will definately not get him in one of the games and only have a 1 in 10 chance of getting him in the other, so a 10% chance of getting him at all. Again, with limited vacation settings you still are likely to have him timed out before the first round finishes.

Ok, worst case, an Octet - you definately get him in 2 games, but have 12 other games to play and all are in the same position, so alls fair again.

Frankly, you are a moaning minnie! Just here to winge and try to be all big. Your arguments are flawed and childlike, youa re over 13 aren't you? Should you be on site at all?

Nuff said!
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 17:43
    Sorry Terrier dude, but why didn't you enter any tourni's he was in?
    I did play him 2 games. It was clear from his play that he was not paying attention. (He may actually be a better player than me.) While playing him I examined his record and determined that he was on a stunt and was sitting timed out in many games. If he promised to play a game in the future I had no expectation that he would actually play. I didn't pay my money to stare at the initial setup. (Again!!!! I am NOT talking about the PACE OF PLAY - I am talking about playing at all.) It brings me no joy to skull someone. If I promise to play you a game I'll either play within the time constraints (even taking vacation if for some reason I need to) or I will resign. That is sportsmanship. To act otherwise is to insult your opponent. With rights come responsibilities. If someone is here just to abuse other people then I wish they would go away. If someone is here to play chess and act respectfully towards their opponents (no matter how many games they play or at what legal pace) then I don't have a problem with them.
  11. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 18:02
    I did play him 2 games. It was clear from his play that he was not paying attention. (He may actually be a better player than me.) While playing him I examined his record and determined that he was on a stunt and was sitting timed out in many games. If he promised to play a game in the future I had no expectation that he would actually play. I didn't pa ...[text shortened]... matter how many games they play or at what legal pace) then I don't have a problem with them.
    TerrierJack,

I understand the point you are making, and sympathise, but there are people here who will either never get it, or who understnd only too well but will never admit it publicly. Trying to reason with such people is the equivalent of banging your head on the proverbial brick wall. Rather than try to convince people who don't even have the power to effect the changes you want, why not just directly petition the site owners, making reference to the number of people who have started threads about this.

As I said, I understand your point, yet Atri's antics don't bother me personally - in part because, although i enter quite a few tournaments, i have only come up against him once or twice. The other reason is that i have taken on about the maximum number of games i can handle, and i'm not at all disappointed generally to find someone hasn't moved. Maybe that's what you need to do: take on more games so that you're so busy keeping up you never have time to stare at that unchanged board in your Atri games.

My own pet hate is people who start going slow when they get into a losing position, especially if they were all gung ho when they thought they were winning. As you point out, behaviour like this is disrespectful of one's opponent, but i think a great many here would struggle to understand that. Unfortunately, the internet being what it is, people can hide behind their anonymity and spatial separation to be far more disrespectful to people than they would ever dare to be in the flesh. Such conditions only bring out the worst in certain people.

Then, of course, these people are defended vigorously by those who misguidedly think that the only real sin is to judge the conduct of others, no matter how inconsiderate or worse that behaviour might be.

So, i guess the take home message would be: just enjoy the site and work around the fools you encounter. Posting about it is probably a good idea though, as it lets others know about potential problem opponents and who knows - it might even get things changed.

Blackamp
  12. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 21:17
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    So, i guess the take home message would be: just enjoy the site and work around the fools you encounter. Posting about it is probably a good idea though, as it lets others know about potential problem opponents and who knows - it might even get things changed.

Blackamp
    Bravo!! I couldn't have said it better. I fully agree!
  13. Blighty
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 22:34
    I did play him 2 games. It was clear from his play that he was not paying attention. (He may actually be a better player than me.) While playing him I examined his record and determined that he was on a stunt and was sitting timed out in many games. If he promised to play a game in the future I had no expectation that he would actually play. I didn't pa ...[text shortened]... matter how many games they play or at what legal pace) then I don't have a problem with them.
    Now your paraphrasing Spiderman? Come on.

So he is abusing you by having the audacity to enter a tournament and then not move? Very big of you to say that he may best you if he played properly, by the way. He has, effectively, provided you with a free passage through the first round, which is great for you, means that you get to a definately serious player.

I am not as good as you at chess, so if I enter a tournament against you am I abusing you by giving insufficient competition?

By starting a game on a CC website you promise nothing at all, I've had people stop playing for any number of reasons, too many games, hurricans taking out the internet connection, work commitments, the list is endless, they are not abusing me either. Have you asked Atri directly his intent? Was he doing it just to smite you, or did he envisage that he was getting a new Internet connection and would be able to play the 200 or so moves a day? Mario Krale played over 700 moves in one day (yesterday), so there is no reason why Atri, given the connection and the time could not play in 2000 3 day move games. I never could, but he may.

If Atri was just doing it to get lots of games and have a dumb looking graph before leaving the site, then yep, I agree with you he would be an arrogant, ignorant prick (sorry to anybody of a sensitive disposition) and not worhty of being on RHP, which is a tip top site. I hope he will come on to one of the threads and take us through his logic!

I am a nice chap, reasonably intelligent (though my rating fluctuations may make that a cause of debate!) and need something to exercise my brain at night whilst waiting to feed my baby girl so that my wife can sleep. So I am going to try to get up to 2000 games in progress and play them all fairly and on schedule, just for me.

If you want a game, on any time frame from 3 day move upwards, then send one across, you are likely to win, but what the heck, its one closer to my aim of 2000 games. And given that you only have 2 games in progress you are somewhat wasting your subscription fees!

Blackamp - we can play too if you like? Unless I am too knuckle headed to be able to comprehend somebody elses point of view!
  14. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 22:52
    ''If Atri was just doing it to get lots of games and have a dumb looking graph before leaving the site,''

But has he left, he has been moving today.
  15. Blighty
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 23:38
    Originally posted by jayaitch
    ''If Atri was just doing it to get lots of games and have a dumb looking graph before leaving the site,''

But has he left, he has been moving today.
    Excellent, he's back, perhaps he can join in the chat and put Terriers mind at rest?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree