1. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 07:38
    Originally posted by surtism

Blackamp - we can play too if you like? Unless I am too knuckle headed to be able to comprehend somebody elses point of view!
    I'd be happy to play, but i don't really go for anything longer than 3/7. Good luck with your project though - I'll follow your progress with interest.
  2. Blighty
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 16:04
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    I'd be happy to play, but i don't really go for anything longer than 3/7. Good luck with your project though - I'll follow your progress with interest.
    I'm happy with 3/7 if you want!
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 21:21
    Originally posted by surtism
    I'm happy with 3/7 if you want!
    i tried to start one, but you're only accepting 7+ day games. Feel free to send me one, or one of each colour if you prefer.
  4. Blighty
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 23:06
    Friday 5 June 2009 progress report :

Games in progress : 334
    Games to target : 1666 (hmmmm, Devilish!)
    Games waiting : 107
    Position for moves made this month : 9th
    Enjoyment factor : High

My rating : 1463 (second highest its been this year)
  5. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 11:05
    Quantity is not [b]Quality[b]!!!
  6. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 20:30
    Originally posted by Alzheimer
    Too true. I play neither a lot of games, nor play with any real quality. I suppose you have to be 1800+ to even start to think about quality. Mind you, I enjoy some exciting (though often losing 🙂 ) games.
  7. Blighty
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 22:08
    Originally posted by Alzheimer
    Who yanked your chain you loser?

Either post something worthwhile or go back to your text books geek.
  8. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 01:04
    Originally posted by Surtism

OK, how about this as worthwhile?

Permit me to predict your future for all to see. The peak-and-valley effect in your graph will accelerate. Human nature being what it is, you will begin to move more quickly in the games where you are ahead and shun those games where you are losing despite your best efforts to play equally in all games.

You'll feel great on days where you win multiple games or win 5 point pieces in exchange for your 3 point pieces. You'll feel giddy, smart, and brave. You're already showing those tendencies in this thread. You'll be in here bragging that this was the smartest thing you ever did and we all owe those who came before an apology because um, well you explained the why of it before and it didn't make any sense then either.

But then the time controls will begin to nag at you. You'll come to dread logging in because of the tremendous load you've incurred. And as great as those peaks feel, the slides feel even worse. You'll come to wonder why you boasted that you could do this stunt.

The slide rule brigade will come out to support you and say that theoretically it can be done because it says so right here on my calculator.

Lose ten games in a row and come back here and tell us what point you've proven. Lose twenty back to back and remind us how high you got before the load dragged you back down.

The point you claim to be making is rooted in circular logic. But you are making a point and a quite entertaining one: the crowd loves SPECTACLE.

Now fly away, little Icarus, you have an appointment with the sky...
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 09:58
    Personally, I can fully understand how the post quantity is not quality would offend you. It is a horrible accusation, how dare anyone post such insults.

What is the point in posting on a forum if someone disagreeing with you is not allowed to post.
  10. Blighty
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 13:54
    Originally posted by tansje
    Personally, I can fully understand how the post quantity is not quality would offend you. It is a horrible accusation, how dare anyone post such insults.
    Quite right - it is insulting and innapropriate - glad you agree that they are a jerk!
  11. Blighty
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 13:59
    Originally posted by sbacat
    OK, how about [b]this as worthwhile?
    Nope, and not even entertaining, just a person with their own inadequacy issues trying to be big in a chess forum.

My rating fluctuates a lot and yes the peaks and troughs will be more often (thats simple maths), so what? Why should you care if I have highs and lows? Are you worried about my health?

It is a shame that you have the inability to comprehend simple words in earlier posts, perhaps you can get your Mummy or Daddy to explain them to you?

What is your actual concern here? Or your deeply entertaining consideration? Do you have any aims in life? Do you have any life?
  12. Blighty
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 14:01
    Originally posted by tansje

What is the point in posting on a forum if someone disagreeing with you is not allowed to post.
    If somebody makes a valid point and is actually disagreeing then no problem, but the post did neither. So please elaborate on your point if you have one.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 14:58
    Surtism, you started this topic with the following goal: 'I am just intending to prove that the insulting behavior displayed towards other players on this site were uncalled for.'

Then you continue by saying the following in response to someone calling your idea stupid:

'You have a stupid name, but at least I can easily change my idea. Your stuck with your name. Poo poo head!'

'but I am happy to play anyone, even sleaze like you.'

When someone tries to explain why they think the idea is wrong, based on arguments (some of which I agree with, some of which I certainly don't) you reply:

'Frankly, you are a moaning minnie! Just here to winge and try to be all big. Your arguments are flawed and childlike, youa re over 13 aren't you? Should you be on site at all?'

In your opinion, when someone has nothing to add to the discussion the proper response is:

'Who yanked your chain you loser?
    Either post something worthwhile or go back to your text books geek.'

When Sbacat responds to that pretty agressive post your reply is:

'It is a shame that you have the inability to comprehend simple words in earlier posts, perhaps you can get your Mummy or Daddy to explain them to you?
    What is your actual concern here? Or your deeply entertaining consideration? Do you have any aims in life? Do you have any life?'

May I ask you, why are you so angry?

As a sidenote, I do think that the 'quantity is not quality' post adds something. Several remarks have been made about playing lots of games and the quality of those games. Earlier I have indicated that playing 2000 games and not finishing them influences both ratings and tournaments, in my view in an unnecessary way. As has already been said many times, I take no fault with anyone playing so many games and actually playing them. In my opinion the 'quantity is not quality' remark supports this reasoning. Naturally, this sidenote is an opinion, we can disagree. There is no need to call me names if you disagree with me, but I can understand it if this discussion is heated enough for you to feel the need.
  14. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 20:23

I didn't mean it as an insult, what are you trying to achieve with playing 2000+ games at the same time.
    Obviously the standards of your games may drop and that may mean that the old adage "Quality is not Quantity" may be right. 😉😀😉
  15. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 20:24

Alzheimer is hardly a loser with a rating of 2175!! There are a few players on this site who play a lot of games and have a rating over 1800. However the general point he makes is a valid one. If you play a lot of games it reduces the thinking time. However for some players (like me) it wouldn't matter how much thinking time I had. I would still lose to 1700+ players.

My games are never going to be pored over as examples of quality chess. More like blunders to be avoided.

However I enjoy playing. Everyone to their own thing I say. Just as footballers playing in local Sunday leagues will never be international players, they enjoy playing. Same with chess. Just enjoy within your limitations. So if a lot of games is your thing ok. If being a high rated player is your thing ok. But please, let's cut out the insults and bile.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree