1. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 04:52
    Originally posted by skeeter
    No, but you've certainly answered your own question.

skeets
    You do not see my point.
    And, you feel that I've answered my own question.
    I do not see the point of this combination. Does it improve your position? Is there an unseen mate looming?
    This level of chess is beyond my comprehension.
    We had GMNorblackheart in our clan for a short time, and during that time, I personally asked him the same questions. And, received no reply. In fact, he was able to write well enough in English to ask for a position on a league team, but would not reply one word to my honest inquiry as to how much time he had to devote to this site, or why he was interested in playing here. On ICC, there are GM's who play real-time games, usually with other talented players. Here, this GM has played mostly lower-rated people at first. Where is the benefit?
    Thus, I have brought those questions to the public forum. Does anyone else feel that I'm being foolish in pursuing this?
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 05:261 edit
    I do take your point and, like me, I'm sure others feel that you're being a little foolish and/or naive, possibly playing the devils advocate here, but are prevented from saying so for fear of penalties. Grow up, read between the lines because there are simply no GM's playing on this site.

skeeter
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 05:51
    That's been my downfall since age 6! Wanting to grow up. Now that I'm 62 I find that wish to be a mistake!
    And, the Devil's Advocate is not a characterization which I want to accept, as I despise the legal profession these days.
    But then, stipulating that this person is not who he says he is, then why has no one else spoken out? Many of the players here, including some in my clan, have taken him at his word. My original note was a response to the last post of No1Marauder, and addressed one of the points he made.
    Well, you will hear no more from me tonight, as I'm past midnight here; "tomorrow is another working day, and I'm trying to get some rest." - Paul Simon
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 05:551 edit
    Shalom.

skeets
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 13:35
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    You do not see my point.
    I do not see the point of this combination. Does it improve your position? Is there an unseen mate looming?
    We had GMNorblackheart in our clan for a short time, and during that time, I personally asked him the same questions. A ...[text shortened]... questions to the public forum. Does anyone else feel that I'm being foolish in pursuing this?
    Its just a name used here, doesn't mean it's actually that person. Too many people have joined the site claiming to be some GM or IM, found to be wanting and have subsequently been banned.

I am quite sure than User 393772 is not THE Nigel Short, but may in fact be a genuine Nigel Short.
  6. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 04:04
    Originally posted by adramforall

I am quite sure than User 393772 is not THE Nigel Short, but may in fact be a genuine Nigel Short.
    As I am not THE William Morris, but indeed that is my genuine name.
    However, I think we have agreed on the aforementioned GM's lack of correct identity. Which was my point originally in response to No1marauder's comment on weeding out certain individuals prior to the commencement of the Championship.
    It did not bother me that this charade was ongoing up until I noted this entry in the most important event RHP sponsors. Since it does seem so evident that there is a falsity here, and eventually will be revealed as such, why has it not been brought up before it can disrupt the tournament?
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 04:45
    Well, It's certainly not for the want of it. No.1, myself, GP, CP, adramf, kewpie, atti2 and, if you read through the lines, the Tebb and a few others have risked suspensions for raising this very issue.

But you know what the most suprising thing is....?? Not one member has asked me directly, why I've not entered any of the annual championships. I'm going to butcher an old adage in an attempt to answer that and I'm sure you'll excuse the bad pun : "whilst honesty is only skin deep, the truth will cut to the bone". That's all.

skeeter
  8. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 05:051 edit
    Well, It's certainly not for the want of it. No.1, myself, GP, CP, adramf, kewpie, atti2 and, if you read through the lines, the Tebb and a few others have risked suspensions for raising this very issue.

But you know what the most suprising thing is....?? Not one member has asked [b]me
    directly, why I've not entered any of the annual champion hilst honesty is only skin deep, the truth will cut to the bone". That's all.

skeeter[/b]
    Well, that must be a New Zealand expression!
    Probably derives from rugby, which occasionally cuts to the bone.
    I guess I've put myself on that hot seat as well, then. But, if RHP allows impersonators, are they not liable to the real personage if this masquerade is brought to that person's attention? I would think so. Thus, would not they ban people for this reason ASAP? It has gone on since October, and it seems so blatant. And, of course, he's not the only one. People treat this site like World of Warcraft, where they can freely be anyone (or thing) they like! I prefer a serious chess site, not a fantasy game.
    I, too, considered the Championship but abstained, as it seems more trouble than it is worth. And, I have serious correspondence games ongoing in the USCF that require most of my free time. They even have cash prizes! (Not that I've ever won any!)
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 10:10

But you know what the most suprising thing is....?? Not one member has asked [b]me
    directly, why I've not entered any of the annual champion ...[text shortened]... hilst honesty is only skin deep, the truth will cut to the bone". That's all.

skeeter[/b]
    But you know what the most suprising thing is....??

Just out of curiousity, why do you find that surprising?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 01:43
    It's certainly disappointing that the tournament will commence with a number of rather blatant engine users included.

For myself, I've decided to play anyway and hope (against hope) that this will be corrected before we have to have the mass eliminations of the last rounds that have occurred in prior years.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 01:482 edits
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    You do not see my point.
    We had GMNorblackheart in our clan for a short time, and during that time, I personally asked him the same questions. A questions to the public forum. Does anyone else feel that I'm being foolish in pursuing this?
    Out of curiosity, Dan, your profile claims you are a "lifetime member of the USCF", yet no one with that name is listed in their member database. http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Why is that?

EDIT: I apologize; I see you gave your actual name in a post above and someone with that name is a Lifetime member.
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 03:401 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Out of curiosity, Dan, your profile claims you are a "lifetime member of the USCF", yet no one with that name is listed in their member database. http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Why is that?

EDIT: I apologize; I see you gave your actual name in a post above and someone with that name is a Lifetime member.
    Apology accepted.
    That someone would be me. 38 years of Chess Life in the house.
    Do not be surprised that people play under alias here! Or pretend to be someone they are not. DanTriola was my Napster alias, now departed, as is Napster. RIP. They asked me for a handle when I registered, so I used the old one. The name is a joke with my oldest boy, who talked me into playing here. (Scared Gopher) You probably would not be interested in that backstory though. Don't ask and I won't tell.
    And good luck in the Championship. Watch out for GM Norblackheart.
  13. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 10:20
    It's ON!
  14. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 12:32
    And you can find it under

Tournament 10998
  15. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 16:08
    Nice groups to be in: 12, 18, 19, 36, 38, 51, 52, 56, 69, 71
    Bad groups (2 or more over 2000): 6, 28, 30, 45, 59, 74, 85, 90
    I'm a 200-ish point favorite in 44. Group 85 looks to be the absolute worst, with "GM" Norblackheart and another 2200+.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree