2011 Championship

2011 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
02 Feb 11

Gm Norblackheart listed his name as Magnus on gameknot... go figure.

k

Moves
02 Feb 11

Hi I received this message. How do I participate. I don't see an option? Sorry I am a newbie here...

Sid

Conductor

Zwolle

Moves
02 Feb 11

Originally posted by koolsid
Hi I received this message. How do I participate. I don't see an option? Sorry I am a newbie here...

Sid
1. You are too late, as the tournament has started today....
2. You need to be a subscriber....

Jan.

k

Moves
02 Feb 11

Thanks Jan. 🙂

Sid

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Feb 11

And in Group 27 we have the first to go out of the tournament. Sadly enough not because of performance.

Moves
03 Feb 11

Well, at least he has little effect on the outcome of the group by resigning now. It worse when someone wins a few games and then resigns all the rest. Not terribly fair to the folks he beat.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Feb 11

Originally posted by Erekose
Well, at least he has little effect on the outcome of the group by resigning now. It worse when someone wins a few games and then resigns all the rest. Not terribly fair to the folks he beat.
Indeed it has been a fair mass resignation, but he would have had the potential for round two I think

Milwaukee, WI

Moves
11 Feb 11

So what happens if two players tie for first on points in their group? (2011 Championship) Do both players advance?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
11 Feb 11

Originally posted by Bebop5
So what happens if two players tie for first on points in their group? (2011 Championship) Do both players advance?
Yes. As in all tournament all people with the maximum number of points won advance (You can find examples where four people advanced in a quartet tournament

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by randolph
Nice groups to be in: 12, 18, 19, 36, 38, 51, 52, 56, 69, 71
Bad groups (2 or more over 2000): 6, 28, 30, 45, 59, 74, 85, 90
I'm a 200-ish point favorite in 44. Group 85 looks to be the absolute worst, with "GM" Norblackheart and another 2200+.
Your post has definitely given me perspective! I had two lucky wins against rookgrabber (one was practically all book in a KID, and I think he resigned too early in the other), but reality is asserting itself and I am slowly getting ground down in several games. At least I know it's a tough group!

Paul

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
15 Feb 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Your post has definitely given me perspective! I had two lucky wins against rookgrabber (one was practically all book in a KID, and I think he resigned too early in the other), but reality is asserting itself and I am slowly getting ground down in several games. At least I know it's a tough group!

Paul
Whoops- Rookgrabber and I met in the 1/14 clan league- the league season started at roughly the same time as the tournament, and I was inundated with games, and the start to run together!

Houston, Texas

Moves
23 Feb 11

Originally posted by skeeter
Now, I've just had a look at this Green Clubs and some 3-4 weeks ago he was getting a hiding from his 1400-1500 contemporaries. Then, after a brain transplant from a GM he's now defeating 1800, a couple of 1900, and not to mention the 2000 win and a draw, rated players. WTF ?

How obvious does it need to be ? I'm going to do a Tom Hanks here ( Saving Priv ...[text shortened]... but I don't have your patience.

See you all around sometime ( I hope )

skeeter
Green Clubs has made an incredible improvement in a very short time. I beat him the first time I played him a few short months ago. He gave up a piece in the opening and then gave up the exhange (and thus I was a rook up), and then he let me mate him. I think his rating at that time was about 1500. He showed tactical promise but I was able to comfortably beat him.

And then I played him a month or so later, and he was freaking relentless, and I loss like 4 games in a row to him. I avoid playing him now.

Anyway, the experience got my interest so I looked at his playing history. Two months ago in early December, he lost like 11 of 12 games to players averaging 1600 rating and with a loss to a 1350 player (you can see the dip on his profile). Now, two months later he is 2200+. I guess it is possible? I am not accusing him of cheating. There is no telling what the reasons might be. Any comment is just conjecture without rigorous analysis? It is just fascinating. I would like to improve like that. I sent him a message asking about his improvement and he never replied.

Below is his first RHP game, which was just a few months ago. In this game, it looks like he knows how to move chess pieces, but that is about it. (Of course the interface will not let you make an illegal move.) Maybe he was messing around.

Game 7575368

Houston, Texas

Moves
23 Feb 11

The awesome 1 . . Na6 move followed by 2 . . Nb8! for the 2200+ player currently entered in the 2011 Championship. I wonder if his 5 . . f6 move was to block the scholar's mate? But he had already just played the incredible Nh3.

Game 7575368 as black.

Then there is this game of the 2200+ player as white.

Game 7575514

The awesome 1.Nh3 opening and the subsequent great tactical continuous moving of his Q.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
23 Feb 11

Read from the start of the thread, moon1969. Then you'll realise Green Clubs has already been mentioned in dispatches. What seems obvious to you seems obvious to the rest of us too. Not much more we can do.

Is improvement from absolute patzer to 2200+ possible in a matter of weeks? To be quite frank, and scientifically accurate too, it isn't possible for 99% of the human race ever. And for the lucky 1%? Maybe possible over several years, but not via RHP

Houston, Texas

Moves
23 Feb 11
2 edits

Originally posted by atticus2
Read from the start of the thread, moon1969. Then you'll realise Green Clubs has already been mentioned in dispatches.

Oh ya, I looked back through the thread to the beginning. You are right -- my post was not a fresh post.