1. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:011 edit
    Any chance we can be given a choice with this? I can't seem to make my chess board look like it did, and I can't find it in any of the board options. I also think the new Homepage looks cluttered, and you have multiple options to get to the same place.... The overall design of the interface is far far too Windows 8 for my liking too...
    PS - As subscribers, wouldn't a consultation process have been appropriate as we pretty much pay for the site? I think if you had done a survey of all members of RHP before you would probably have received massively positive feedback about the old site and a definite NO to any changes.
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:08
    Analyze board is not working correctly. It will not let me take pieces while analyzing.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:27
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Analyze board is not working correctly. It will not let me take pieces while analyzing.
    This issue has been noted. You can use "drag and drop", but cannot select a piece and drop on another.

Until this is fixed, please use the drag and drop method.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:30
    Originally posted by SteveWil
    Change it back, it looks like a VIC-20 screen, seriously.
    I own a Vic 20. It does not look like a Vic 20. 🙂
  5. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:32
    I thought the same but you can just go into board settings and reduce the board size
  6. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:43
    Originally posted by randolf
    Holy crap !!!

Perhaps I am an old stick in the mud but really don't like the new graphics nor the pop up box which appears when you write an in-game message to your opponents.

I don;t understand the reasons for the changes if the old interface worked perfectly. The 'new look' is too modern with too much appearing on the screen at once. It seems to have been designed for children or those with low IQs.

Sorry, but not impressed.

Chris
    I agree. It is a major change. too much on the screen as randolf says. Also agree that why change something that worked so well??? Is this the crazy modern way? Update for the sake of it???
  7. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:49
    People don't like change.

I disliked the look of all my games when I logged in this morning but I think it is more because I am losing them all than the new look of the site

Give it a chance, there are good reasons for the changes and some functionality has improved. You will get used to it

I discovered http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/ in another thread - I think that looks the best
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 13:05
    Hopefully Helpful Hint...

There are 3 board sizes + a number of device screen resolutions for your viewing pleasure.

Best wishes to us all.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 13:10
    I'm devastated, this new look is awful, what was wrong with the old one? I cant even see all the board on my screen and find it so difficult to move peices, not to mention slow. Now how do I get my chess fix, I'm just going to have to hang myself! GIVE ME MY OLD RHP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 13:13
    Yes, I fear the Microsoft "update for the hell of it" disease has inflicted its symptoms on our favorite chess site. The items on the screen are now so large that multiple steps are needed to get to things that were available quickly under the old format.

1 vote against, though I do appreciate the fact that the site developers are struggling to keep the place updated and current.
  11. Amersham, Bucks, UK
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 13:56
    I was a bit shocked. But now I like it, more options is good.
    I downsized my board to the middle size and it looks like it used to, so I'm happy.

Does the new site improve my ranking?

MP
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 14:01
    One thing I liked about the old analyze board is that it did not have the distracting habit of highlighting squares in green when moving pieces. I wish there was an option to turn that off (or maybe there is and I just don't know about it).
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 14:03
    Originally posted by gelston
    I'm devastated, this new look is awful, what was wrong with the old one? I cant even see all the board on my screen and find it so difficult to move peices, not to mention slow. Now how do I get my chess fix, I'm just going to have to hang myself! GIVE ME MY OLD RHP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Try My Settings ... My Board Settings and set your board size to small. Helps a lot.
  14. Amersham, Bucks, UK
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 14:05
    Originally posted by Hyperion7
    I was a bit shocked. But now I like it, more options is good.
    I downsized my board to the middle size and it looks like it used to, so I'm happy.

Does the new site improve my ranking?

MP
    Given the fill on the Waiting, Game Won, Game Lost, Game Drawn entries.
    Why not have different colours for Won, Lost and Drawn so you can see easily and in colour the game results?
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 14:08
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I'm disoriented a bit but I like it. Nice job. The only issue I have so far is I sometimes get the following bit of code displayed next to my user name in the upper right. Using Win & and Firefox 20.0.1.

Edit: It seems to only happen when I go to My Games.

(a href="#" onclick="XPopGamesUrgent( event );;return false;" title="Pop out urgent games"> ...[text shortened]... e.php" style="text-decoration:none;color:white;display:block">0 games waiting</a)
    Russ,

I solved my own problem by disabling the Firefox RHP addon I had downloaded forever ago that shows a user's rating etc.. So never mind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree