1. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 18:22
    i hate to ask but can we still send messages ? I have looked at the board but am unable to find any mention other than message log
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 18:26
    I've noticed a lot of problems!!When I select a piece to move the square ahead of the piece becomes highlighted!
    If you are playing Black and you go to the log review board, White is at the bottom and you cannot flip the board!
    Response is terrible.
    If it AIN'T BROKE...DON'T FIX IT!!!!
  3. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:52
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but on the whole I like it.

One minor gripe - the opponent's avatar is now always on the screen, even on the analysis board. If you're playing someone with an animated gif as an avatar, it can be pretty distracting when you're trying to concentrate on the board. A workaround is to arrange the windows so that the gif is covered up, but it's a bit fiddly.

Anyway, a minor gripe. On the whole I think it looks fresh and modern.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:54
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but on the whole I like it.

One minor gripe - the opponent's avatar is now always on the screen, even on the analysis board. If you're playing someone with an animated gif as an avatar, it can be pretty distracting when you're trying to concentrate on the board. A workaround is to arrange the windows so that the gif is ...[text shortened]... it's a bit fiddly.

Anyway, a minor gripe. On the whole I think it looks fresh and modern.
    Animated GIFs will be stopped in future for this reason. One thing at a time though.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:56
    Originally posted by gcyrus
    I've noticed a lot of problems!!When I select a piece to move the square ahead of the piece becomes highlighted!
    If you are playing Black and you go to the log review board, White is at the bottom and you cannot flip the board!
    Response is terrible.
    If it AIN'T BROKE...DON'T FIX IT!!!!
    Can you let me know which OS and browser you are using please? The piece selection should be accurate.
  6. Framingham, MA
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:571 edit
    Would like the option of the old colors and size! Much of the screen is wasted (i.e., blank), the colors are all faded pastels, more. Liked the old appearance much more- this just looks like a massive coding error.

In Analyze Game- should have previous/next move tabs at top, since they are used *frequently*.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:58
    Too soon to tell. Give it a week.
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 20:02
    Originally posted by Russ
    Animated GIFs will be stopped in future for this reason. One thing at a time though.
    Booooo. I'm going to hypnotise you Russ with my avatar.

Look into my avatar, look into my avatar, checkmate, checkmate,

repeat after me, I resign, I resign.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 20:35
    Originally posted by rapabst
    Would like the option of the old colors and size! Much of the screen is wasted (i.e., blank), the colors are all faded pastels, more. Liked the old appearance much more- this just looks like a massive coding error.

In Analyze Game- should have previous/next move tabs at top, since they are used *frequently*.
    Change your board size from the "board style" button above the game board.
  10. Toronto, Canada
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 20:48
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It's a matter of numbers, more people are playing on smaller devices than widescreen PCs, and trying to keep everyone happy has to be a webpage developer's nightmare. I think this is a good compromise, almost anyone can use the new site, wherever they happen to be or how bad their devices are. We who have the luxury of big screens shouldn't complain about h ...[text shortened]... space on display. My own screen width is more than 50% white space and I'm not complaining.
    The solution to that is very simple: Offer a choice of format. I'm sure Russ meant well, but if many others are as alienated as I am, it is going to be highly problematic not making it a choice.

Imagine introducing neon chess pieces on an altered LED indicated board. Will people get used to it? Some, over time. It doesn't make it wise or attractive.

I have little against formatting for the x-pad crowd, but don't poison the well you drink from now to cater to a trend that many of us are purposely avoiding.
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 20:55
    Originally posted by Stephen Saines
    The solution to that is very simple: Offer a choice of format. I'm sure Russ meant well, but if many others are as alienated as I am, it is going to be highly problematic not making it a choice.

Imagine introducing neon chess pieces on an altered LED indicated board. Will people get used to it? Some, over time. It doesn't make it wise or attractive ...[text shortened]... oison the well you drink from now to cater to a trend that many of us are purposely avoiding.
    I agree. There seems to be a lot of people alienated by this change.
    I play on a laptop so it makes little difference to me.

But if it were possible to have this format and the old format as well
    then everyone is happy. I do not know if that can be possible because
    I am not technically minded.

What say you Russ? Is it possible or not?
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 21:32
    It is well known that whenever a website changes, in any way, there are howls of anguish from users.
    This is partly because we all have different ways of using a site which are personal and important to us and partly because humans are deeply conservative and like to see the same sort of thing they are used to.

The last time the BBC News website changed its 'look' I absolutely hated it. Then I remembered that I had also hated the previous update, so I used Wayback to find the version of the site before that. OMG - it looked awful! I realised that I just needed to use the new one for a week and that then I would be used to it ... and so it proved.

It appears as if the main reason for the changes to the site are to give full mobile/tablet functionality. This has necessitated some changes to the main site and the way we view it on computers. And then there will be some cosmetic changes too.

For those who don't like it, I suggest bearing in mind:
    This won't have been done just to annoy us
    There will inevitably be some glitches - and I am sure they will be ironed out quickly
    There are probably solutions to some other problems
    You will like it after a week or two

For example, I couldn't see the whole board on my laptop any more. So I went to 'My Settings' and selected 'My Board Settings' and then changed the size to 'Small'. Works fine now.

Do give it a chance!
  13. Joined
    11 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 22:05
    The site has alot of improvements. I like the way the analyzer moves. I like the way RHP works on IPAD...much easier to read. I don't like the white boarders and don't like the green. Looks like a christmas tree. I would suggest letting a graphic artist give it some flare that is pleasing to the eye. Grade - B+
  14. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 22:18
    Originally posted by durham7869
    The site has alot of improvements. I like the way the analyzer moves. I like the way RHP works on IPAD...much easier to read. I don't like the white boarders and don't like the green. Looks like a christmas tree. I would suggest letting a graphic artist give it some flare that is pleasing to the eye. Grade - B+
    Green is my favourite colour.
  15. Joined
    11 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 May '13 00:46
    Ref. Game - 9915704 - Trying to take bishop w/pawn....system sees it as illegal move....plese fix before time out...thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree