Site update status

Site update status

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y
lovin the sea breeze

Up North!

Moves
02 May 13

giving it until my subscription is due, if i still dont like it i will unsubscribe and probably realise that i didnt need to spend as much time on the internet playing chess and can read a book, play with real wooden pieces and a person.... arh those old fashioned chess clubs filled with old men in suits sipping cups of tea, i may just venture into one.....

Moves
02 May 13

Hi Russ,

You did a good job of re-vamping the site, no fuss, no muss, minimal bother.

Unfortunately, I don't like any of the changes you made, it was better the way it was. I'm a minimalist, so the larger fonts, new icons, pastel shading, subtle shadowing, clever animations and friendly buttons kinda kill the whole thing for me.

If I can make a some suggestions for the next revision:

Use your horizontal space better. Move all the functions into an icon bar on the side of the screen, so that the whole page, including the board can be displayed without scrolling.

Lose the colors, they're just distracting.

Go back to the previous format for the analysis board. It was easier to interact with.

Kudos for the Grandmaster Games Database. Very well done. A little work on the 'search by opening' menu and it'll be perfect.

Thanks,
Leo

Framingham, MA

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

agree on the message pop-up when replying; could be much more,ah, petite 🙂

In "My Games" window, would also like to see the Game Status column moved left, to just right of the Opponent's column. Make it easier to select a game when scanning the list.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 May 13

In the "my games" view next to my user name there is an expanded box full of code.

Australia

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
In the "my games" view next to my user name there is an expanded box full of code.
This one's got me intrigued. Do you mean up in the top righthand corner? Mine goes {white space}{star} Kewpie {green dot} {logout icon}. Are you using W7 ?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 May 13

Using Vista and Firefox.

Yes in the top right on the games listing page instead of seeing:

divegeester
# games waiting
# messages

It says divegeester followed by a 3x3 inch box of code.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 May 13
2 edits

It's now changed to

divegeester (a href) - This must be code for crap at chess

Edit: no the box of code is back.

😕

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
03 May 13

Originally posted by divegeester
It's now changed to

divegeester (a href) - This must be code for crap at chess

Edit: no the box of code is back.

😕
Please uninstall the Grease monkey scripts you have installed.

I'm starting to suspect they are the cause of a number of Firefox related issues that are being reported, and they are completely beyond my control.

Read a book!

Moves
03 May 13

Divegeester, have you been monkeying with grease again?

Dave

Kansas City area, MO

Moves
03 May 13

Still getting used to the white-space and color change.
Still need to disable the Firefox Grease Monkey add-ons.
But overall no big issues with the changes.

Pardon my ignorance, but I can't find where the grandmaster games link went.? Anyone point me in the right direction?
Dave

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by oradbaforpsoft
Still need to disable the Firefox Grease Monkey add-ons.
You probably know, but I need to point out that Greasemonkey scripts modify the site after it is sent to your browser - completely out of our control. I do not maintain these scripts either, so I am unable to fix them for you.

edit : GM games link on homepage, at bottom.

Amersham, Bucks, UK

Moves
03 May 13

I set My Games to view as "Recently Moved" every time I log off it returns to "Newest Game"

It's not holding the preference

Dave

Kansas City area, MO

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

Russ, thanks for the instant response. Once I reboot I am sure the greasemonkey scripts will no longer fire.
I am still unable to see any link to the grandmaster games.
Is the navigation off the 'My Home' link? I still cant find it... OK - I found it on the home page, I guess I always default to 'My Games', so just need to change the url at the top.
I used to see it from any game board page as an option - I assume that was a grease monkey add-in?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
03 May 13

Originally posted by Hyperion7
I set My Games to view as "Recently Moved" every time I log off it returns to "Newest Game"

It's not holding the preference
Please see Thread 152783.

ca

Moves
03 May 13

Hi Russ,
2 things:
a) The Inbox in My Games page no longer shows the Game ID. I know you can see that in Info (which corresponds to the old Game log) which you have to click - not as fast as before. Since there is space in the Action column on the right (does this serve a purpose?) can you not use that empty space?
b) On the same page, before whenever you finished looking up a game and you went back, the previous game was highlighted so that you could choose another game with the same opponent. As it is now you have to remember which game you looked up or use Info again. Small thing but time wasting and annoying...