1. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 11:57
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    Assassins Creed......... Best of the best.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-ClutaN_I

Or if you are the battle type Call of Duty 4, and Battlefield 2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC3UMJ2It4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFJDVlxKZw
    Assians Creed and Call o Duty 4 are good games, I have both and like them

Bit late to this thread, but I think GTA IV will wipe the floor with everything in its path.
  2. Standard memberRapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 12:46
    Originally posted by RSMA1234
    Assians Creed and Call o Duty 4 are good games, I have both and like them

Bit late to this thread, but I think GTA IV will wipe the floor with everything in its path.
    Unfortunatly, you may be right. But I haven't played the fourth one. Whats it like?
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 13:06
    Unfortunatly, you may be right. But I haven't played the fourth one. Whats it like?
    Nobody knows, it will be released in a fvew days, I believe.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 15:04
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Ultima VII.
    Ultima VII was basically just Ultima IV with a different story and better graphics, and without the
    insistence on virtue. I think innovation and creativity in expanding the world of gaming should
    count for something, which is why I would rate Ulitma IV over its next three installments.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 15:201 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Ultima VII was basically just Ultima IV with a different story and better graphics, and without the
    insistence on virtue. I think innovation and creativity in expanding the world of gaming should
    count for something, which is why I would rate Ulitma IV over its next three installments.

Nemesio
    I disagree.

First of all, Ultima VII was much more about the plot than Ultima IV, where progression was mostly done by fighting.

Secondly, what I truly loved is the moral ambiguity of it all. At times, the Avatar's quest for virtue appeared dangerously strict to the point of being almost fascist and the Fellowship's values appeared more humane. At points it seemed like an evolution (very roughly) mirroring the transition between the Old and the New Testament, with the former dictating morality through commandments (actions) and the latter focusing on morality more conceptually (ideas).

Edit - Also, the amount of non-essential subplots is staggering and the freedom to solve quests in different ways was pretty amazing. I certainly never seen anything remotely like U7, not even the Elder Scrolls come close in my opinion.
  6. Hull, UK
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 15:49
    I'd have to say EVE-online is up there with the best games of all time. Huge learning curve, but it's very immersive!
  7. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 16:40
    Assassins Creed......... Best of the best.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-ClutaN_I

Or if you are the battle type Call of Duty 4, and Battlefield 2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC3UMJ2It4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFJDVlxKZw
    oh god no, you're way off....

defender

nothing beats it, even today global compititions are held to find the best player.... how many games written today will be able to say that 30 years down the line?

i'd put outrun as a close second though.... not the crappy spin offs, the original, the best
  8. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 16:42
    if i have to choose a few more modern ones, yes, call of duty, medal of honor, final fantasy and kotor are all pretty good...

but nothing beats defender, simple yet highly addictive
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 17:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I disagree.

First of all, Ultima VII was much more about the plot than Ultima IV, where progression was mostly done by fighting.

Secondly, what I truly loved is the moral ambiguity of it all. At times, the Avatar's quest for virtue appeared dangerously strict to the point of being almost fascist and the Fellowship's values appeared more humane. At poi ...[text shortened]... nly never seen anything remotely like U7, not even the Elder Scrolls come close in my opinion.
    I agree that Ultima VII was more involved and it had better graphics, too. There can be no question
    about that. But I'm talking about innovation, the step from Ultima III to IV was enormous. The
    creation of a huge world with diverse NPCs each possibly containing a clue for solving the puzzle
    was totally novel (as I recall). The use of reagents, the combination of virtues in a hierarchical
    structure: it was the first video game that I recall that felt like Dungeons and Dragons.
    Ultima VII just elaborated on that success. I don't think that there was anything in the plot of
    VII that couldn't be ported directly back into IV. The same couldn't be said for IV into III, for
    example.

That's all I meant. VII is a better game, but it couldn't have existed without the innovative
    design created in IV, was my point.

Nemesio
  10. Club 64
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 19:13
    Originally posted by el kreemob
    I would even say that the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is better then the Twilight Princess. even thought the Twilight Princess is an amazing game also. those are the 2 best Zelda games ever.

as for FPS I would say Halo series. however I have never played Call of Duty 4.

all racing games seem the same to me.

and the only fighting games I play are super smash bros.
    How could I forget Twilight Princess! Awesome game right there. Now if only they could remake Ocarina of Time with those graphics...
  11. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 19:32
    For arcade games ... Defender is "A" number 1, Joe! Stargate is a cheap follow-up. Honorable mention goes to a pinball machine called "Countdown".

PC wise ... Civ IV, Rome-Total War, Railroad Tycoon (original is awesome and they had to scrap some stuff to go onto II, and III), an ancient game called Elite where you flew your "cargo" ship around the galaxy, Age of Empires (all of 'em), and if I want to be smacked around, Fritz (a chess game). Honorable mention goes to The Ancient Art of War, Falcon 4.0 and Galactic Civilizations.
  12. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 21:02
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    if i have to choose a few more modern ones, yes, call of duty, medal of honor, final fantasy and kotor are all pretty good...

but nothing beats defender, simple yet highly addictive
    Medal of Honour - is that different where you live, how could you possibly consider that one as the best games ever made - as for the rest you mentioned, yeah there spot on

Knights of the Old Republic - I heard a lot about this game but I've never actually seen it never mind played it, worth doing a bit of poking around for is it
  13. Standard memberRapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 00:11
    Originally posted by John1916
    Medal of Honour - is that different where you live, how could you possibly consider that one as the best games ever made - as for the rest you mentioned, yeah there spot on

Knights of the Old Republic - I heard a lot about this game but I've never actually seen it never mind played it, worth doing a bit of poking around for is it
    Medal of Honor is Pac Man to Call of Duty 4.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 04:191 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Oh ya, Civ and Elder Scrolls definitely belong there. I agree that Civ IV lacks something the earlier games had. Two things that I dislike about it are the graphics which try to find a pleasant balance between realism and abstraction and fail and the horribly unrealistic tech tree. Crossbows are for killing melee? Swords are super good for invading cities (but not defending them)? Catapults are incredibly overpowered?

This can be fixed due to the tremendous mod-ability of the game, but it's too much work.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 04:21
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    http://www.1980-games.com/us/old-games/nintendo/g/Gauntlet/game.php

You're right. The Barbarian, however, once he got the speed potion which made him run as
    fast as the Valkyrie did initially, could run straight through monsters without taking hits.

The big disadvantage of playing the Barbarian was that his weapon wouldn't shoot through
    diagonal spaces between blocks.

Nemesio
    Mmmm. That Gauntlet tune.

I'd forgotten that his axe didn't fit through cracks. He's by far my least favorite character.

What's this about him not taking hits?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree