Best Video Game Ever Invented

Best Video Game Ever Invented

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Ultima VII.
I found a modern packaging of the entire series, 0-VIII and Serpent's Isle also I think. Unfortunately it doesn't work right.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by RSMA1234
Assians Creed and Call o Duty 4 are good games, I have both and like them

Bit late to this thread, but I think GTA IV will wipe the floor with everything in its path.
GTA is fairly boring. The gameplay sucks donkey sack. The large world and freedom are nice though.

I'm not one of those people who get a kick out of watching myself blow stuff up in a video game. I like first person if I'm only controlling one guy. If it's going to be third person I prefer being far away and able to move away from my units, like in Starcraft, so I can see the terrain. GTA's "breathing down your own avatar's neck" viewpoint drives me nuts. I hate that perspective in games.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
Ultima VII was basically just Ultima IV with a different story and better graphics, and without the
insistence on virtue. I think innovation and creativity in expanding the world of gaming should
count for something, which is why I would rate Ulitma IV over its next three installments.

Nemesio
Ultima IV was annoying. However I agree that it was a very innovative step in the series.

One of the things I was annoyed by in Ultima IV was that you could not recruit the designated companion who had the same class as you; for example, if you're a fighter, you couldn't recruit Geoffrey, or if you're a shepherd, you couldn't recruit Katrina. The lack of balance between classes annoyed me too. Paladins were just...better than fighters. They were fighters with spells. Mages were shepherds with spells. The only worthwhile classes were Mage, Paladin and Druid IMO. The others were second rate additions to the party.

Man, starting as a fighter sucked! The island Jhelom is on has swamps (all swamps are poisonous of course) and fighters cannot cast spells - so cannot Cure Poison. It's a tiny little island with no room for monsters and no way off except the Moongate I think.

Oh man...starting as a fighter sucked. But the Paladins...right there on the mainland, everything a fighter has, plus spells, access to monsters, etc.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by icantwrite
I'd have to say EVE-online is up there with the best games of all time. Huge learning curve, but it's very immersive!
EVE Online definitely gets some points, but it didn't really hook me.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

I agree that Ultima VII was more involved and it had better graphics, too. There can be no question
about that. But I'm talking about innovation, the step from Ultima III to IV was enormous. The
creation of a huge world with diverse NPCs each possibly containing a clue for solving the puzzle
was totally novel (as I recall). The use of reagents, the co ...[text shortened]... uldn't have existed without the innovative
design created in IV, was my point.

Nemesio
The
creation of a huge world with diverse NPCs each possibly containing a clue for solving the puzzle
was totally novel (as I recall).

Ultima III had that, but it lacked actual conversations. In UIV you had to ask the right questions. UIII, you just talk to them and they say one and only one thing.

The virtues reminded you of D&D? What?! Not me.

This reminds me though. I used to wear a dangly Ankh earring in Junior High School because of UIV.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Ultima III had that, but it lacked actual conversations. In UIV you had to ask the right questions. UIII, you just talk to them and they say one and only one thing.

Right. Ultima I and II had the same thing, although you could only speak to the barkeep.
And, no not the virtues reminded me of D&D (I liked to play Neutral Evil thieves, FYI), the
conversations with NPCs did.

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
26 Apr 08

Ultima IV was annoying. However I agree that it was a very innovative step in the series.

One of the things I was annoyed by in Ultima IV was that you could not recruit the designated companion who had the same class as you; for example, if you're a fighter, you couldn't recruit Geoffrey, or if you're a shepherd, you couldn't recruit Katrina. The ...[text shortened]... ight there on the mainland, everything a fighter has, plus spells, access to monsters, etc.
My first character was a druid. Jaana, I think, was the druid, so I never had her. Katrina and
Geoffrey sucked, as I recall until you got the mystical weapons and armor.

Tremor rocked.

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
26 Apr 08

What's this about him not taking hits?
His melee strength was a 5, which means in a hallway of mobs, he could just walk and mow
them down (ghosts excepted, of course). Especially after he got the speed potion, he was pretty
good. He made a good second player with the wizard or valkyrie, I found. I didn't mind
playing him then, just not alone.

Yeah, that sound track was cool.

Nemesio

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 08

I agree that Ultima VII was more involved and it had better graphics, too. There can be no question
about that. But I'm talking about innovation, the step from Ultima III to IV was enormous. The
was totally novel (as I recall). The use of reagents, the co ...[text shortened]... uldn't have existed without the innovative
design created in IV, was my point.

Nemesio
We'll have to disagree there, Nemesio.

I acknowledge most of your points regarding the steps in innovation, but I still think that IV feels like a prototype for the masterpiece.

But I'm a sucker for interesting plots. My second favourite RPG (after U7) is Planescape: Torment mostly because the story is amazing.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 08

I found a modern packaging of the entire series, 0-VIII and Serpent's Isle also I think. Unfortunately it doesn't work right.
Have you tried using DosBox? It's what I use to play oldies. If you get something like DosShell, you can manipulate it easily.

R
OK SORRY

Moves
26 Apr 08

GTA is fairly boring. The gameplay sucks donkey sack. The large world and freedom are nice though.

I'm not one of those people who get a kick out of watching myself blow stuff up in a video game. I like first person if I'm only controlling one guy. If it's going to be third person I prefer being far away and able to move away from my units, lik ...[text shortened]... down your own avatar's neck" viewpoint drives me nuts. I hate that perspective in games.
Dont you find it annoying controling a bunch of people rather than just you?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Rapidfyre
Dont you find it annoying controling a bunch of people rather than just you?
Nah. I enjoy strategy wargames.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Have you tried using DosBox? It's what I use to play oldies. If you get something like DosShell, you can manipulate it easily.
No. I don't know if it would work with the package I found. Part of the problem seemed to be that modern computers are just faster than old computers, and the timer in Ultima III must have been based off the CPU speed or something because my guys would starve to death very, very quickly. They added a program called "moslow" but it didn't work if I remember correctly.

Akalabeth works fine, but is boring as hell. Ultima VI or VII worked and looked like a good game (it starts with a gargoyle fight or something) but the graphics were terrible. I don't know if I'm just spoiled now or what, but I don't think so. I remember Ultima V's graphics and they were much more playable than the 3D fuzzy graphics of VI or VII (whichever it was).

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

His melee strength was a 5, which means in a hallway of mobs, he could just walk and mow
them down (ghosts excepted, of course). Especially after he got the speed potion, he was pretty
good. He made a good second player with the wizard or valkyrie, I found. I didn't mind
playing him then, just not alone.

Yeah, that sound track was cool.

Nemesio
Barb + Valk = sissy magic potion abilities. You need a spellcaster.

Well no, you don't, but it makes for a more balanced pair.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 08

No. I don't know if it would work with the package I found. Part of the problem seemed to be that modern computers are just faster than old computers, and the timer in Ultima III must have been based off the CPU speed or something because my guys would starve to death very, very quickly. They added a program called "moslow" but it didn't wor ...[text shortened]... they were much more playable than the 3D fuzzy graphics of VI or VII (whichever it was).
I'm guessing that was U6 as U7 starts with an investigation on a murder.

I remember trying to replay U6, something like two years ago, and also giving up because of the terrible colour scheme. They really clashed. It's funny because when I played it originally (it when it came out) I remember thinking the graphics were 'great'. 😕

I've never tried any oldie that didn't run perfectly on DosBox so, if you're interested, try it out.