Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 14 Apr '13 23:13
    Trivia question for my fellow classical music lovers. Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles. What was this piece?
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    15 Apr '13 01:46
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Trivia question for my fellow classical music lovers. Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles. What was this piece?
    Could it be Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85?

    If not, I don't have the slightest clue.
  3. 15 Apr '13 01:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Could it be Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85?

    If not, I don't have the slightest clue.
    Incorrect! However, very nice try! I would like to hear your reasoning for your choice, though.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    15 Apr '13 02:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Classical trivia thread
    Which Frank Zappa compositions were played by all three of the following: Pierre Boulez's Ensemble InterContemporain [in 1984] , the London Symphony Orchestra [in 1983], and the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra [in 1975]?
  5. 15 Apr '13 08:06
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Trivia question for my fellow classical music lovers. Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles. What was this piece?
    The Starlight Express?
  6. 15 Apr '13 11:02
    Drum roll please....! Cockaigne Overture, 1901. or Cockayne (pron.: /kɒˈkeɪn/); 'Cockaigne' was a term used by moralists at that time as a metaphor for gluttony and drunkenness, while Britain adopted the name humorously for London. There is no narrative programme, but the work presents various aspects of turn-of-the-century London and Londoners. It begins with a quiet but bustling theme which leads into an unbroken sequenceof snapshots: the cockneys, the church bells, the romantic couples, a slightly ragged brass band (perhaps the Salvation Army) and a contrastingly grand and imperious military band. The broad theme representing Londoners.

    At the beginning of the twentieth century the success of the Enigma Variations had been followed by the initial failure of The Dream of Gerontius, which caused Elgar to be dispirited and declare that God was against art. Nevertheless, on receiving a commission from the Royal Philharmonic Society he began work on the new piece and soon reported that it was 'cheerful and Londony, "stout and steaky"' ... 'honest, healthy, humorous and strong, but not vulgar'.
  7. 15 Apr '13 11:26
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Drum roll please....! Cockaigne Overture, 1901. or Cockayne (pron.: /kɒˈkeɪn/); 'Cockaigne' was a term used by moralists at that time as a metaphor for gluttony and drunkenness, while Britain adopted the name humorously for London. There is no narrative programme, but the work presents various aspects of turn-of-the-century London and Lon ...[text shortened]... Londony, "stout and steaky"' ... 'honest, healthy, humorous and strong, but not vulgar'.
    And the connection to drugs?
  8. 15 Apr '13 11:41
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    And the connection to drugs?
    Cocaine.
  9. 15 Apr '13 11:57 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Cocaine.
    I cry foul!

    My answer was better, especially as it refers to LSD, which has a much stronger Beatles connection.

    http://www.overgrownpath.com/2012/08/elgar-takes-trip.html

  10. 15 Apr '13 11:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which Frank Zappa compositions were played by all three of the following: Pierre Boulez's Ensemble InterContemporain [in 1984] , the London Symphony Orchestra [in 1983], and the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra [in 1975]?
    Pedro's Dowry?
  11. 15 Apr '13 12:09
    What connects the names Carl, Alessandro and Fanny?
  12. 15 Apr '13 12:34
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    What connects the names Carl, Alessandro and Fanny?
    Mendelssohn?
  13. 15 Apr '13 12:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I cry foul!

    My answer was better, especially as it refers to LSD, which has a much stronger Beatles connection.

    http://www.overgrownpath.com/2012/08/elgar-takes-trip.html

    NO foul! Since you did not like the answer here's a riddle: Variegated dullness speaks of he who oft stumbles upon his own feet. Previously known as "a mighty hunter before the Lord".
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Apr '13 13:11 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which Frank Zappa compositions were played by all three of the following: Pierre Boulez's Ensemble InterContemporain [in 1984] , the London Symphony Orchestra [in 1983], and the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra [in 1975]?
    200 Motels?
  15. 15 Apr '13 13:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Mendelssohn?
    That's part of the answer but not the connection.