1. In your face
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:00
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If you make it an own category, I would suggest to do it like the last time, allowing entries to be in more than one category. I thought that worked out well.
    TBO I was trying to avoid having a 'covers' category. That's why I brought in an 'Original' Category. In this, I thought that it would have more versatility in that, people would have more choice in which cat they put their entry into.
  2. The sky
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:05
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    TBO I was trying to avoid having a 'covers' category. That's why I brought in an 'Original' Category. In this, I thought that it would have more versatility in that, people would have more choice in which cat they put their entry into.
    Well, the last time we had a "Cover" category and an "Original" category, and I think most entries in those categories were also in one of the other categories.

What does "TBO" mean?
  3. In your face
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:17
    Well, the last time we had a "Cover" category and an "Original" category, and I think most entries in those categories were also in one of the other categories.

What does "TBO" mean?
    I seem to remember that last time, covers were only allowed in the 'covers' section. this is what I was trying to aim away from. This is my logic behind my mentality. 😀

BTW 'To Be Honest' Sorry i dropped the silent 'H' guv 😛
  4. The sky
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:19
    I seem to remember that last time, covers were only allowed in the 'covers' section.
    That was the case in the first music comp, but not the second one, as you can see if you check out the voting thread: Thread 75432
    It was discussed with passion the last time.
  5. In your face
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:59
    That was the case in the first music comp, but not the second one, as you can see if you check out the voting thread: Thread 75432
    It was discussed with passion the last time.
    Ha ha. Jenna's comment was amusing and Huck's follow up was even better 😛

As for the catagories, as I said, I'm easy. If people want to have them changed then it's not set in stone. Afterall, this isn't my toy, it's everyones.
    I just want to hear what everyone can play. It's good!
  6. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 01:124 edits
    these were last year winner categories:
    Best Instrumental Track
    Best Vocal Track
    Best Computer Track
    Best Cover
    Best Original Composition/Arrangement
    Best Lyrics
    Best Musician (Solo)
    Best Group
    Best Overall Submission

Category Qualifications:
    "Best Musician (solo) " I think should be written as "Best Solo Musician" Last Year I felt no one considered a soloist over accompaniment, which is the way I interpret last year's text. This year, if you only want one musician playing one instrument without accompaniment, then write it as I suggested. That would also rule out overdubs by the same musician or accompaniment by others.

"Best Group" should have no "tracked" or computer generated automatic music.

"Best Original Composition" drop the "/ Arrangement"

I think "Arrangement" would be best utilized with cover music. A song that has taken a far turn from the original or perhaps a tune in a completely different style then it was previously known.

I think the artist should be able to submit a work, then say which categories he wishes it (the work) to be considered.

The submissions , like Nordly suggested, should be able to be voted on in multi categories. I think there should be a place, perhaps a thread, where the artist can qualify the work. I think that we submitted last year only two ways: "original" or "cover" Which works!

For instance: "Song XY" written and sung by Mr B, Mr B used drum machines and loops and "Band in a Box" type chording to complete "Song XY" In the thread, Mr B asks Song XY to be considered in the following categories:
    Best Vocal Track
    Best Computer Track
    Best Original Composition
    Best Lyrics
    Best Overall Submission

I don't mean to squabble over these fine points, and I certainly appreciate the recognition I received last year through this contest. As musicians, we learn to read music, follow directions on the page: start here, go here, repeat this twice, jump to this section, be dynamic, be quiet. So, when giving directions and following information to the "T", musicians are natural task finders. If we're left to interpret, it's only because it was written that way.

😕
  7. In your face
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 01:541 edit
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    these were last year winner categories:
    Best Instrumental Track
    Best Vocal Track
    Best Computer Track
    Best Cover
    Best Original Composition/Arrangement
    Best Lyrics
    Best Musician (Solo)
    Best Group
    Best Overall Submission

Category Qualifications:
    "Best Musician (solo) " I think should be written as "Best Solo Musician" Last Year I fe to interpret, it's only because it was written that way.

😕
    Either you didn't read my second post or maybe we have our wires crossed dude. When I said: -
    'I think I'll allow two entries per person per category. Covers are allowed in all categories apart from 'Original' of course. Other than that you can enter what you want in whatever
    category. They are only a rough guide and to help give the competition some structure.'
    I meant that anyone can enter what they in what category they want except people cannot enter cover versions in the 'Original' category'.
    Other than that, as I said please feel free to enter what you want in whatever category. I cannot be any less pedantic than that.
  8. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 03:23
    Either you didn't read my second post or maybe we have our wires crossed dude. When I said: -
    'I think I'll allow two entries per person per category. Covers are allowed in all categories apart from 'Original' of course. Other than that you can enter what you want in whatever
    category. They are only a rough guide and to help give the competition some str ...[text shortened]... e to enter what you want in whatever category. I cannot be any less pedantic than that.
    I guess the technical side, I'm uncertain. One song, say, fits 4 categories. Do you then upload the tune 4times, once to each category you wish it considered?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 08:52
    I guess the technical side, I'm uncertain. One song, say, fits 4 categories. Do you then upload the tune 4times, once to each category you wish it considered?
    No, enter any song under a catagory you feel it fits best... or you feel you have the best chance to do well in (as long as it fits).

I could enter a song or 2 under solo artist, and another song of 2 under best lyrics. I would enter the songs where I feel they have the best chance.

P-
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 09:32
    Ha, now you realise the nightmare I had with running it in the past. I recommend you keep it simple. Allow 2 entries if you want, but limit it to 5 or so genre categories all of which must be originals and then 1 covers category which can contain any genre.

Voting can then include categories like 'best lyrics etc.' without the artists having to submit their tunes for a specific category like that.

Have fun!
  11. In your face
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 09:50
    Sorry. I've just read what I wrote again and it sounded a little anal. Was not my intention. But as phlabster said, I think it would be best if you just uploaded each entry once into the category that you feel fits it best. Otherwise you might get some people entering their songs in all categories just to stand a better chance of winning.
  12. In your face
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 09:52
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Ha, now you realise the nightmare I had with running it in the past. I recommend you keep it simple. Allow 2 entries if you want, but limit it to 5 or so genre categories all of which must be originals and then 1 covers category which can contain any genre.

Voting can then include categories like 'best lyrics etc.' without the artists having to submit their tunes for a specific category like that.

Have fun!
    Yes, there is more to it than meets the eye. Thanks for the advice. Are you partaking?
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 10:47
    Yes, there is more to it than meets the eye. Thanks for the advice. Are you partaking?
    As we speak.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 11:25
    Originally posted by Starrman

Have fun!
    I still disagree with that as much as I did the last time. I think it worked a lot better the way it was done the last time. I found the old discussion about it, so instead of repeating myself, here it is: Thread 73569. The discussion about categories (especially the "Cover" category) starts on page 7, but I think you won't miss much if you start reading from page 11 instead.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 12:52
    I still disagree with that as much as I did the last time. I think it worked a lot better the way it was done the last time. I found the old discussion about it, so instead of repeating myself, here it is: Thread 73569. The discussion about categories (especially the "Cover" category) starts on page 7, but I think you won't miss much if you start reading from page 11 instead.
    What do you think the catagories should be? I'm pretty sure I'd agree.

One thing for sure, there shouldn't be any covers in 'best lyrics'.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree