What movies have you seen recently, were they ok?

What movies have you seen recently, were they ok?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Sep 10
2 edits

We saw Expendables, thought it was a fun romp! Also saw Eat Pray Love Julia Roberts, was a very good flick, true story. On the other hand, we just saw the American, George Clooney. Don't bother, no plot, no back story, he starts out being depressed, ends up depressed, kills a bunch of people, dies. That's about it. Totally worthless piece of shyte.

You think about Clooney, maybe you think about Brother where art thou, a really great flick, especially for old time music lovers, then he made a few years later, Men who stare at Goats. Now American. Like a real falling graph of respectability. The one bright thing in American was Violante Placido, a strikingly beautiful Italian actress who played his whore turned gf, and the priest (can't have a movie in Italy without a priest🙂

Father Benedetto played by a great veteran actor Paolo Bonacelli, they were the high points character-wise of the movie. So now you know all about it. The trailer shows the best parts so you don't have to watch the whole boring thing.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Sep 10

Gasland - An excellent documentary about the undereported health dangers caused by the natural gas industry and specifically an industry practice known as 'hydraulic fracturing.' I highly recommend it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by rwingett
Gasland - An excellent documentary about the undereported health dangers caused by the natural gas industry and specifically an industry practice known as 'hydraulic fracturing.' I highly recommend it.
Is it available on any of the regular movie stores, Blockbuster, etc.?

d

Moves
03 Sep 10

Recently I've seen and enjoyed Frost/Nixon, Kick Ass, Herzong's Bad Lieutenant remake, Youth in Revolt and Shutter Island.

Saw and did not enjoy Book of Eli and Hot Tub Time Machine.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Sep 10

Inception is great. Best movie I've seen in a while...

l

Moves
03 Sep 10

An Education (2009) - British film, very good.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Is it available on any of the regular movie stores, Blockbuster, etc.?
I don't know. I saw it on HBO.

Edit: Wikipedia says "Gasland premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The film is currently on the film festival circuit and premiered on HBO on June 21." So it may not be out on DVD yet.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
04 Sep 10

I saw Mulan recently it's subtitled so not everyones cup of tea. I thoughty it was fantastic, not really into war films myself but this is more of a love, honour and sadness story.

I saw an education too, it is a good film. Only seams to be women who appreasiate it though, I don't know why that is.

l

Moves
04 Sep 10

Originally posted by yo its me
"...
...I saw an education too, it is a good film. Only seams to be women who appreasiate it though, I don't know why that is.
"
Yes, it's true - the only ones that I know who have seen this movie are women. It is film about a girl's development into maturity, and the irresponsible, immoral men whom she meets. But the other characters (parents, teachers) are also interesting. I appreciated the film very much.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
04 Sep 10

I saw Chris Morris' Four Lions and (previously recommended by FMF) The Infidel one day after another. Which was interesting.

Both really good - the best British comedies I've seen in a while.

And Channel 4 showed In Bruges last weekend. Despite recommendations aplenty, I'd just never got round to it, and I really enjoyed it.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
04 Sep 10
1 edit

I also saw an amazing thing at the Edinburgh Festival (actual Festival, not the Fringe. La de da.) , a Spanish production called Sin Sangre. Basically, there was a thin projection screen at the front of the stage, then the stage with live actors and props, and then a second projection screen behind the stage. So the actors moved around with projections in front of them and behind them.

The opening scene had three men in a car - but the car was simply projected on to the front screen (and the countryside on the back screen) and they crouched down so that they looked like they were in it. It had a distinct old movie feel to it; like when you get an interior shot of a car, and the view out the window is obviously fake. A later scene had two people sitting at a table in a bar, and then 'the camera' did a 180 sweep round them - although, of course, it was simply the back-projection moving to give the illusion of the (much more modern-seeming) cinematic technique.

It was technically well-done, arresting and - depending what you made of my description - considerably less pretentious and considerably better than you might think.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Sep 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
We saw Expendables, thought it was a fun romp! Also saw Eat Pray Love Julia Roberts, was a very good flick, true story. On the other hand, we just saw the American, George Clooney. Don't bother, no plot, no back story, he starts out being depressed, ends up depressed, kills a bunch of people, dies. That's about it. Totally worthless piece of shyte.

You t ...[text shortened]... bout it. The trailer shows the best parts so you don't have to watch the whole boring thing.
Nice spoiler alert on The American! 😞

D

DSJ

Lawrence, Ks

Moves
05 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay

Saw and did not enjoy Book of Eli and Hot Tub Time Machine.
Are you kidding? HTTM was a GREAT flick! You just have to go in to have a good time, not expecting something profound. It's not Atonement, after all. About the only thing that really irked me about HTTM was the bald actor that keeps popping up in Ashton Kutcher films. What's his name... . Even he grew on me, though, the more times I've seen it. It's kind of an homage, at times, to all the quirky 80's films that were popular, but real stinkers. John Cusak having been in many of THOSE as well. I Love it!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Sep 10

No End in Sight

The most consistent indictment I've seen of the way the Bush administration conducted post-war Iraq. A must see, even if you think you've seen it all before. Brilliant and serious documentary without the pop tendencies that plague the genre.

Trailer:

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
06 Sep 10
1 edit

A couple of top notch films - Restrepo and Winter's Bone

Not quite as good but still good ones in Cyrus and Get Low and Inception.