1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:20
    @no1marauder said
    Trump is currently in office and thus can be impeached. Moreover as the penalties for impeachment include more than simple removal from office, there is no reason a Senate trial couldn't continue after his term of office.

Dershowitz is not considered a constitutional scholar and many of his assertions regarding such matters have little support among experts.

I rega ...[text shortened]... is important business to attend to, but the assertion in the title of this thread is flat out wrong.
    Here is what Dershowitz was quoted as saying in the article in my OP.

“The case cannot come to trial in the Senate. Because the Senate has rules, and the rules would not allow the case to come to trial until, according to the majority leader, until 1 p.m. on January 20th, an hour after President Trump leaves office,” Dershowitz said in a Fox Business interview on Sunday."

Is Deshowitz right? Is that true?

He also said this:

“And the Constitution specifically says, ‘The President shall be removed from office upon impeachment.’ It doesn’t say the former president. Congress has no power to impeach or try a private citizen, whether it be a private citizen named Donald Trump or named Barack Obama or anyone else,” he said."
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:21
    @shavixmir said
    Does the constitution specify it can’t?

I can’t read the article.
    You do realise that impeachment is different than punishing for it?
    What punishment?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:43
    @wildgrass said
    It's the "we're not going to stand for that" part that is incitement. The left didn't do that. No one fought like hell against their own government for Hillary Clinton, because she didn't ask her supporters to.
    Madonna (Democrat): "Let's blow up the white house!"
    Peter Fonda (Democrat): "Lock 10 year old Barren Trump in a cage with child molesters."
    Johnny Depp (Democrat): "We need another John Wilks Booth!"
    Tom Arnold (Democrat): "I fantasize about standing over Donald Trump Jr.'s dead body!"
    Kathy Griffith (Democrat): *Holds up a bloody, decapitated head of Donald Trump*
    Snoop Dog: (Democrat): *Shoots a likeness of Trump in a music video, has Donald Trump in a body bag on his album cover*
    Joe Biden (Democratic presidential hopeful): "I'd like to take Trump behind a barn to beat him."
    Corey Booker (Democratic presidential hopeful): "I dream of punching Trump in the face."

Are any of those people inciting violence?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:49
    @shavixmir said
    The house of representatives can’t hold a vote to impeach him? I’m sure they can.

And then the senate can take its time about whether to punish him or not. That doesn’t need to be whilst he is in office.
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/republican-blocks-house-from-bringing-up-25th-amendment-bill_3652031.html?utm_source=newsnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-01-11-2
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:55
    @metal-brain said
    What punishment?
    Forcing a resignation or banning someone from ever holding office again.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 06:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:27
    @shavixmir said
    Forcing a resignation or banning someone from ever holding office again.
    Impeachment or 25th amendment?
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:31
    @metal-brain said
    Impeachment or 25th amendment?
    WTF are you on about???
    I’ve only mentioned impeachment.

Seriously. Go troll somewhere else.
    There’s a spirituality forum full of inbreds like yourself. Go there.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 11:36
    @metal-brain said
    Peter Fonda (Democrat): "Lock 10 year old Barren Trump in a cage with child molesters."
    Tom Arnold (Democrat): "I fantasize about standing over Donald Trump Jr.'s dead body!"
    Kathy Griffith (Democrat): *Holds up a bloody, decapitated head of Donald Trump*
    ...[text shortened]... ial hopeful): "I dream of punching Trump in the face."

Yes some did and it was wrong.

Now you:
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 11:492 edits
    @metal-brain said
    ...[text shortened]... ial hopeful): "I dream of punching Trump in the face."

Only the first one as far as I can see, the rest were threatening violence in the first person not inciting others to do it.
    BTW who doesn’t want to take Trump behind a barn and give him a face massage.
    The Fonda one was disgusting and uncalled for. He must have morphed into a complete ass.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 11:59
    @metal-brain said
    What punishment?
    "..... and disqualification to hold any office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States....."

US Constitution, Article I, Section 3.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 12:05
    @metal-brain said
    Here is what Dershowitz was quoted as saying in the article in my OP.

“The case cannot come to trial in the Senate. Because the Senate has rules, and the rules would not allow the case to come to trial until, according to the majority leader, until 1 p.m. on January 20th, an hour after President Trump leaves office,” Dershowitz said in a Fox Business interview on Sunda ...[text shortened]... whether it be a private citizen named Donald Trump or named Barack Obama or anyone else,” he said."
    Senate rules cannot override the express power granted to the House to impeach.

Belknap was a private citizen when the House impeached him. What does Dershowitz have to say about that precedent? Surely someone who was never a government official can't be impeached, but the Belknap case strongly suggests ex-federal officials can (and Trump isn't even an ex-federal official yet).
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 13:471 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Senate rules cannot override the express power granted to the House to impeach.

Belknap was a private citizen when the House impeached him. What does Dershowitz have to say about that precedent? Surely someone who was never a government official can't be impeached, but the Belknap case strongly suggests ex-federal officials can (and Trump isn't even an ex-federal official yet).
    I’ve heard that one advantage of getting the articles through the House is that it would facilitate a fast track through the senate if trump commits one more treasonous act like say pardoning the terrorists that stormed the capitol. So even if it just hog ties Trump until the 20th it’s worth doing regardless of Dershowitz and MBs dream feelings.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 18:03
    @ponderable said
    Yes some did and it was wrong.

Now you:
    Were they held accountable?
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 18:08
    @metal-brain said
    Were they held accountable?
    You wanted to speak about the people storming the Capitol with force and demanding Pence to be hanged ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree