1. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 01:12
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    By putting in effort to stay legal what do you mean? You exclude people who overstayed their Visa and didn't have the luxury or time to wait for the years and thousands of dollars of barriers to participate in the demand for their labor?7 It's called supply, demand, and extreme artificial barriers affecting groups who have had a long history of cooperation across neighboring borders.
    Build a wall. Chuck the illegals over it. Guard the wall so they don't come back. Let the economic chips fall where they may.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 02:151 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    I would lean towards a Bush approach: expanded guest worker program, path to citizenship for current illegal aliens, and stronger control on the border (though not a giant wall, that's ridiculously expensive.)[/b]
    Building a wall to keep out illegals is ridiculously expensive? So is building a wall around New Orleans to protect it against a future Kartrina, which will inevitably happen. In the interim, however, we will just sit back and let things fall as they may until the city is in the midst of another crisis. Hopefully, when it eventually hits it will have been more cost effective to just ignore the problem altogether rather than fix it properly.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 02:17
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Build a wall. Chuck the illegals over it. Guard the wall so they don't come back. Let the economic chips fall where they may.
    WE are all from immigrants, mate. Few at all had legal papers when they arrived.

We are all the same in the eyes of God. Even a southern dixie God.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 02:24
    Originally posted by badmoon
    WE are all from immigrants, mate. Few at all had legal papers when they arrived.

Actually, I can sympathize with the illegals considering how hard it is to become a legal citizen. I know a guy who tried for years to become a legal citizen even though he had been living in the states for over a decade and spoke perfect English and was married to an American, but he could never get them to make him legal. Its almost as if the government prefers them to be illegal for their own sick purposes.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 03:07
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    President Eisenhower did something similar to that. It worked for a long while too.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 03:09
    Originally posted by badmoon

What the heck is a "southern dixie God"
    You always like throwing those little jabs,dont ya?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 03:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Its almost as if the government prefers them to be illegal for their own sick purposes.
    Your weasely use of "It's almost as if..." presumably means that, according to you, the government does not prefer them to be illegal and that the government does not have "sick purposes". And yet your ideological stools are floating to the surface of the yellow water anyway.

One wonders if you are making a legitimate accusation or not.

I think we can cross out 'humour'.

As long as the effect of your words is toxic and demeaning to those who disagree with you, then it's mission accomplished for you presumably.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 04:04
    By putting in effort to stay legal what do you mean? You exclude people who overstayed their Visa and didn't have the luxury or time to wait for the years and thousands of dollars of barriers to participate in the demand for their labor?7 It's called supply, demand, and extreme artificial barriers affecting groups who have had a long history of cooperation across neighboring borders.
    I'm excluding no one, you are either legal or not, if you come and
    are no longer legal that speaks for itself. If you come and do what
    it takes to stay in the country your efforts are meaningful and speak
    for themselves. If you have someone who is illegal be it they were
    never legal, over stayed, or whatever that again is the bottom line.
    I do not care if labor wants illegal aliens that does not excuse or
    justify anything.
    Kelly
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 06:43
    Actually, I can sympathize with the illegals considering how hard it is to become a legal citizen. I know a guy who tried for years to become a legal citizen even though he had been living in the states for over a decade and spoke perfect English and was married to an American, but he could never get them to make him legal. Its almost as if the government prefers them to be illegal for their own sick purposes.
    the evil democrats want easily-fooled voters. the evil republicans want cheap labor.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 10:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your weasely use of [b]"It's almost as if..." presumably means that, according to you, the government does not prefer them to be illegal and that the government does not have "sick purposes". And yet your ideological stools are floating to the surface of the yellow water anyway.

One wonders if you are making a legitimate accusation or not.

I th ...[text shortened]... aning to those who disagree with you, then it's mission accomplished for you presumably.[/b]
    All I can say is that Big Brother is too easy a target, isn't he? What they hay, well just make him a bigger target, what do ya say!!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 10:37
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the evil democrats want easily-fooled voters. the evil republicans want cheap labor.
    Those evil Republicans!! 😠
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 13:34
    This might be a big part of the problem. The current process is such a tangled mess that many (most?) immigrants decide it's much easier to just ignore the process compeletely.

If we made the immigration process easier, more responsive, and much less frustrating, many more immigrants would use this process.

Perhaps the number of people attempting illegal immigration could be reduced to a level where the US government would actually be able to enforce the immigration laws.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 15:131 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This might be a big part of the problem. The current process is such a tangled mess that many (most?) immigrants decide it's much easier to just ignore the process compeletely.

If we made the immigration process easier, more responsive, and much less frustrating, many more immigrants would use this process.

Perhaps the number of people attempting i ...[text shortened]... uced to a level where the US government would actually be able to enforce the immigration laws.
    There is no doubt in my mind that there would be more legal citizens if it were not such a bearaucratic nighmare to beome a legal citizen. Why put yourself through it when all you have to do is nothing?
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 16:15
    Support or defend from unfair to down-right racist attacks like Schia-patsy's?
    Can't you make an argument without resorting to race anymore? its getting pretty tedious.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 16:17
    Was Joe stupid? After thinking about this a bit more, I have come to the conclusion that, although it was not a "nice" thing to do, Joe would never have gotten his message across very effectively any other way. In fact, I'm thinking that they should propose a "Joe Wilson bill" in which someone screams, "LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!", every time politicians g ...[text shortened]...
    As for supporting illegals, why shouldn't he? After all, our government does the same.
    The only thing he did effectively was to act like a 10 year old, he can't expect to be taken seriously with tactics like that, he should have been more reasonable (not to say mature).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree