1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    All surveys are self authorizing. Seems everyone wants to know what everyone wants to know. 😉
    Originally posted by josephw
    "All surveys are self authorizing. Seems everyone wants to know what everyone wants to know." 😉

Why?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Please reply to the following three questions regarding these fifteen (15) public forums by answering three questions: 1) Which do you enjoy most? 2) Which should be combined? 3) Which in your opinion serve little if any purpose? Thanks. ~GB" (OP: italics mine)
    This topic again?

You bring this one out once in a while, and I consider it brought up more than once to be onerous at best. Last time you brought this up, you were beating the drum in favor of your own club. We do NOT need everyone leaving the public forums and disappearing into private clubs. I don't have a clue why you're bringing this up again. No, none of the forums need to go, and no, none of the forums need to be "consolidated".
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:26
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Who authorized the survey? And why?
    Nobody "authorized" the survey. Who authorized your post? And why?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    None of the forums need to go, and no, none of the forums need to be "consolidated".
    I think it would be quite a good idea to merge the Sports and Culture Forums with the General Forum. Sports and Culture are relatively moribund - and have been for quite some time - and the General Forum would benefit from the additional variety and breadth.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:331 edit
    Nobody "authorized" the survey. Who authorized your post? And why?
    Non-subscribers can start three threads a day ~ and it then says that if you want to start more than three, you have to subscribe ~ and then you can start as many threads as you want. That's all the "authorization" one needs. I think a survey is a legitimate thread idea and posters are "authorized" to start as many such threads as their membership status allows. I don't think it has to be "authorized" any more than that. 😉
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think it would be quite a good idea to merge the Sports and Culture Forums with the General Forum. Sports and Culture are relatively moribund - and have been for quite some time - and the General Forum would benefit from the additional variety and breadth.
    Agree.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Non-subscribers can start three threads a day ~ and it then says that if you want to start more than three, you have to subscribe ~ and then you can start as many threads as you want. That's all the "authorization" one needs. I think an interesting survey is as good a legitimate thread idea and posters are "authorized" to start as many such threads as their membership status allows. I don't think it has to be "authorized" any more than that. 😉
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Non-subscribers can start three threads a day ~ and it then says that if you want to start more than three, you have to subscribe ~ and then you can start as many threads as you want. That's all the "authorization" one needs. I think an interesting survey is as good a legitimate thread idea and posters are "authorized" to start as many such threads as their membership status allows. I don't think it has to be "authorized" any more than that." 😉

Source: Red Hot Terms of Service? Forum Guidelines? Another attribution or source for this statement regarding Red Hot Pawn Public Forum Policy?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Says you. You don't post in either of them. You're a poor judge of whether we need them or not.

The General Forum is already the most-used forum. It doesn't need "the additional variety and breadth". What we don't need is less "variety and breadth" which is what less forums would bring.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Non-subscribers can start three threads a day ~ and it then says that if you want to start more than three, you have to subscribe ~ and then you can start as many threads as you want. That's all the "authorization" one needs. I think a survey is a legitimate thread idea and posters are "authorized" to start as many such threads as their membership status allows. I don't think it has to be "authorized" any more than that. 😉
    Well, you just underscored my point. And in far, far more words.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:47
    Says you. You don't post in either of them. You're a poor judge of whether we need them or not.

I used to, and quite a lot. And now I don't. I am also a veteran member of the community who has posted maybe 45,000 times across all forums. So all this probably makes me a good judge of whether merging them would be a good idea.

The General Forum is already the most-used forum. It doesn't need "the additional variety and breadth". What we don't need is less "variety and breadth" which is what less forums would bring.

The General Forum would benefit from having more of a smattering of sports related and culture oriented threads. It would be more lively and diverse.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    By the way, this is not "merging" the forums at all. What this means is eliminating two forums. This reduces choice, and clutters the General Forum, even more than it already is.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Says you. You don't post in either of them. You're a poor judge of whether we need them or not.

I used to, and quite a lot. And now I don't. I am also a veteran member of the community who has posted maybe 45,000 times across all forums. So all this probably makes me a good judge of whether merging them would be a good idea.

The General Forum i ...[text shortened]... smattering of sports related and culture oriented threads. It would be more lively and diverse.
    What about "Poser and Puzzles"?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Source: Red Hot Terms of Service? Forum Guidelines? Another attribution or source for this statement regarding Red Hot Pawn Public Forum Policy?
    I am the source of "Non-subscribers can start three threads a day" information as I read this exact stipulation several times during my stint as a non-subscriber on occasions when 24 hours had not yet passed since the last of three threads had been started. Non-subscribers can also send only a maximum of 6 PMs a day while subscribers can send as many as they want..
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    So all this probably makes me a good judge of whether merging them would be a good idea.

The General Forum would benefit from having more of a smattering of sports related and culture oriented threads. It would be more lively and diverse.
    Again, you're not talking about "merging" them. What you propose is "eliminating" them.

There is no point to crowding the General Forum with these kinds of posts when there are already two perfectly good fora for them. What you propose is reducing the frequency of these posts altogether, If you don't want to read certain topics, why not shift them off to their own forum? You can then ignore them while those who DO like to read those topics can have them all in one place.

No, what you propose is eliminating choice, not encouraging it. Don't be absurd.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 07:57
    By the way, this is not "merging" the forums at all. What this means is [b]eliminating two forums. This reduces choice, and clutters the General Forum, even more than it already is.[/b]
    Of course it entails merging the three forums if the blurb is amended to say something along the lines of "General discussion and chat about culture, sport and anything else that doesn't seem to belong on the other forums." Where you see what you call "clutter", I think I'd see vibrancy and eclecticism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree