1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, what you propose is eliminating choice, not encouraging it. Don't be absurd.
    The choice to discuss sport and culture would not be eliminated. The choice would still be there. By setting the threads about those topics in the enlivened and increasingly diverse context of the more heavily populated General Forum, one would obviously be encouraging more exposure to and discussion of sport and culture topics than currently goes on in those forums.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:03
    What you propose is reducing the frequency of these posts [on sports and culture] altogether
    I think you are mistaken. I think after the merger there would end up not only being more sports and culture topics raised, but there would also be more people contributing to those topics.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What about "Poser and Puzzles"?
    There is a reason for having separate forums. This is to sort topics into categories so that people who like these categories can have these topics all in one place rather than having to wade through miles of effluvia to get to what interests them.

I cannot be the only one who is against the elimination of choice in the forums.

There is already loads and loads of crap in the General Forum. Don't ask for it to be polluted with even more. More forums is a good thing. Less forums is a bad thing. Just five minutes of rumination on why this is would clear this up, except among those who want to destroy these forums for good.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:06
    I cannot be the only one who is against the elimination of choice in the forums.
    Merging sports and culture with the General Forum does not involve "the elimination of choice" in the forums. Those choices would still be available.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:08
    There is already loads and loads of crap in the General Forum. Don't ask for it to be polluted with even more. More forums is a good thing. Less forums is a bad thing. Just five minutes of rumination on why this is would clear this up, except among those who want to destroy these forums for good.
    Do you sincerely think that those who disagree with you on this matter are community members "who want to destroy these forums for good"? I'm not sure this discussion we are having benefits from hyperbole of this kind.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you are mistaken. I think after the merger there would end up not only being more sports and culture topics raised, but there would also be more people contributing to those topics.
    No, you are wrong.

AGAIN, we're not discussing a "merger". What you want is the "elimination" of these other forums, so that you can steer even more people towards your crap threads in the General Forum by forcing even more people to read them.

CHOICE IS A GOOD THING. ELIMINATION OF CHOICE IS BAD.

What you propose is the death of posting at RHP. You want to turn the rich, vibrant forums of RHP into one giant crap forum, which no one will want to post in, except maybe you.

Do us all a favor. Start a blog or something if you want to bore people with your delusions of grandeur. Don't try to destroy these forums.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you sincerely think that those who disagree with you on this matter are community members "who want to destroy these forums for good"? I'm not sure this discussion we are having benefits from hyperbole of this kind.
    You know, I'm done with fencing with you over nonsense.

Thankfully, I'm sure Russ will give this just as much credence as he gave your campaign to become a moderator in these forums.

Exactly zero.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:14
    CHOICE IS A GOOD THING. ELIMINATION OF CHOICE IS BAD.
    I have not proposed any elimination of choice. The option to debate and discuss sports and culture subjects would still be available, and the choice of topics available on the General Forum would be increased.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Red Hot Pawn Public Forums:

"The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts.

General
    General discussion. If it's off-topic, o ...[text shortened]... ch should be combined? [/i] 3) Which in your opinion serve little if any purpose? Thanks. ~GB
    Please bear in mind that although we may propose changes and consolidations to these public forums, the sole proprietor of this fifteen year old website disposes and/or implements our proposed changes according to an overall competitive market strategy and tactical timing.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Please bear in mind that although we may propose changes and consolidations to these public forums, the sole proprietor of this fifteen year old website disposes and/or implements our proposed changes according to an overall competitive market strategy and tactical timing.
    And thankfully, he'll treat it just as he did last time you brought this up.

As nonsense.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:17
    What you propose is the death of posting at RHP. You want to turn the rich, vibrant forums of RHP into one giant crap forum, which no one will want to post in, except maybe you. Do us all a favor. Start a blog or something if you want to bore people with your delusions of grandeur. Don't try to destroy these forums.
    You seem to be having a certain difficulty processing disagreement on this issue. I am not "trying to destroy these forums" and I do not envisage that a merger would be "the death of posting at RHP". I think reducing the number of forums from 14 to 12 would be to the benefit of members of this community.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:19
    What you want is the "elimination" of these other forums, so that you can steer even more people towards your crap threads in the General Forum by forcing even more people to read them.
    In which of my posts did I say this ~ or anything remotely like it?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have not proposed any elimination of choice. The option to debate and discuss sports and culture subjects would still be available, and the choice of topics available on the General Forum would be increased.
    And YOU already have the choice to NOT post in these forums if you do not like them. And you are taking the right of others to post in these forums away by eliminating them. Saying "The option to debate and discuss sports and culture subjects would still be available" is a ruse. Most of the allure of having a forum devoted to those topics is that they are all in one place, where those who ARE interested do not have to hunt them down in one gigantic forum filled with other topics. By shoving them out into the General Forum, the immediate effect would be to shut those topics down. By eliminating these forums, this has an immediate effect of curtailing these topics.

And yes, the sheer number of topics on the General Forum would be increased, but this is not a good thing. How can one expect to pick out what one wants among everything in one forum? What you propose is the equivalent of a grocery store taking ALL their inventory and stocking everything everywhere. What a waste of time if you just wanted to pop down to that store for a carton of milk. You'd now have to wade through all the meat, all the cereal, all the beer, all the magazines, all the motor oil, all the dishwasher soap, all the paper products, just to find the milk you came in to get. Yes, it's there, but where? How long would you tolerate this mayhem before you just went to another store?

This is what you want to bring to our beloved website. It is beloved because we like it the way it is. And you want to turn it to crap.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:351 edit
    Saying "The option to debate and discuss sports and culture subjects would still be available" is a ruse.
    No it's not. It's a straight forward argument. Then, the suggestion that more people would post on sports and culture subjects and therefore the sports and culture discussions would benefit is another straight forward argument. Neither of them is "a ruse".
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '16 08:38
    By shoving [sports and culture subjects] out into the General Forum, the immediate effect would be to shut those topics down. By eliminating these forums, this has an immediate effect of curtailing these topics..
    Not so. These topics would not be shut down but would appear on the General Forum. Furthermore, discussion of such topics is bound to be more lively and more heavily subscribed. The discussion of sports and culture subjects would be increased and enhanced.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree