1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Jul '16 16:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The problem with that is coming up with a theory as to how there can be such a communal undermind as it were. I think they would have to be thinking in terms of telepathy or some such but there has never been real repeatable results for that.

So Susan is on the mend but won't be out for at least 4 more days and then more time in some rehab facility. She ...[text shortened]... s on a severed tendon on thumb and now this one colorectal.

That is a lot of healing needed.
    Telepathy has nothing to do with it. No one expects psychology to be an exact science in the same vein as math or physics, but nevertheless it is regarded as a 'science'.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 23:23
    The problem with that is coming up with a theory as to how there can be such a communal undermind as it were. I think they would have to be thinking in terms of telepathy or some such but there has never been real repeatable results for that.

So Susan is on the mend but won't be out for at least 4 more days and then more time in some rehab facility. She ...[text shortened]... s on a severed tendon on thumb and now this one colorectal.

That is a lot of healing needed.
    Well, that's just it. It's a shared unconscious, not really the same thing as memory. I think this is how we can have dreams of places we've never been and then someday we actually go there and it is just like in the dream.

Sometimes it seems misfortune sometimes likes to "pile on", while others are fortunate to escape most of the bad. At least a caring husband will make the recuperation easier. πŸ™‚ (I think I recall you telling me before that her name is Susan. So's mine. Coincidences are freaky like that.)
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jul '16 23:26
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Telepathy has nothing to do with it. No one expects psychology to be an exact science in the same vein as math or physics, but nevertheless it is regarded as a 'science'.
    Oh, please. Yes, it is regarded as a science, not a 'science'. It's not freaking palm-reading.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 00:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Oh, please. Yes, it is regarded as a science, not a 'science'. It's not freaking palm-reading.
    I would have said science instead of 'science', but this way I can avoid a fruitless argument with sonhouse... and set myself up to argue with you...

Yeah, you're right. I didn't think this through far enough.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 14:571 edit
    I agree, telepathy has nothing to do with nor some collective subconsciousness. I don't see any argument here.

It may be just down to better nutrition combined with our more complex world, which is down to nurture not nature.

If so, there would be some limit, where as time goes by, the increases get smaller and smaller till we asymtote out.

Our sciences are growing exponentially, perhaps some of that is due to people getting smarter in ways that expand science.

Doesn't mean we are smarter like being dumped in an Amazonian jungle and surviving a few years without our modern accoutrements, guns, food, tents, meds, gps and the like, what is safe to eat, who to avoid, ways of setting traps etc.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 16:201 edit
    I agree, telepathy has nothing to do with nor some collective subconsciousness. I don't see any argument here.

It may be just down to better nutrition combined with our more complex world, which is down to nurture not nature.

If so, there would be some limit, where as time goes by, the increases get smaller and smaller till we asymtote out.

Our ...[text shortened]... od, tents, meds, gps and the like, what is safe to eat, who to avoid, ways of setting traps etc.
    I don't know what to tell you except "been there done that". I know what it's like to be 'hooked on a feeling' because I was hooked on the same feeling.

Just for fun let me know what (if anything) this means to you: YouTube
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 16:51
    This is where my head is at. After the 2:50 minute mark I'm really digging it, man...

YouTube
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 16:551 edit
    I don't know what to tell you except "been there done that". I know what it's like to be 'hooked on a feeling' because I was hooked on the same feeling.

Just for fun let me know what (if anything) this means to you: [youtube]e-QFj59PON4[/youtube]
    Sure, it effected me when it came out, Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathrustra, still gets me. Some people hated 2001 but I liked it. Saw it when it first came out and endured a hell of a long line that first day it came out too, in Santa Monica back when I lived in Venice Beach.

Here is Mozart's 20th piano concerto the same way as the Bach:

YouTube
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 17:13
    Sure, it effected me when it came out, Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathrustra, still gets me. Some people hated 2001 but I liked it. Saw it when it first came out and endured a hell of a long line that first day it came out too, in Santa Monica back when I lived in Venice Beach.

Here is Mozart's 20th piano concerto the same way as the Bach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QgOBbKl0eY
    I'll listen to that in another day or two. I've been burning through too much data (gigabytes) and need to conserve what little I have left. There's enough for me to keep talking, but no more videos for me for another day or two.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 02:32

Just for fun let me know what (if anything) this means to you: [youtube]e-QFj59PON4[/youtube]
    Worst movie ever.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 02:32
    This is where my head is at. After the 2:50 minute mark I'm really digging it, man...

[youtube]ipzR9bhei_o[/youtube]
    Genius.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 05:261 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Worst movie ever.
    I'm not a 2001: A Space Oddity apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but it did have it's moments.
    Like this sparkling jewel: YouTube
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 06:55
    I'm not a 2001: A Space Oddity apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but it did have it's moments.
    Like this sparkling jewel: [youtube]KGKlOkAMjJg[/youtube]
    I was 15 when I saw that in 68. I think the idea was that the apeman had some sort of an epiphany about how to kill for food, what with the picture of a boar apparently falling over presumably after being bludgeoned, but I recall how in a subsequent scene the club was used as an offensive weapon.

To this day I still don't know what the phallocentric obelisk was for!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 10:071 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I was 15 when I saw that in 68. I think the idea was that the apeman had some sort of an epiphany about how to kill for food, what with the picture of a boar apparently falling over presumably after being bludgeoned, but I recall how in a subsequent scene the club was used as an offensive weapon.

To this day I still don't know what the phallocentric obelisk was for!
    The obelisk was a device that jump started intelligence in proto-humans and made it genetic so the whole species would have the creativity that one showed recognizing the bone could be weapon.

I didn't think it was phallo anything, looked like a slab to meπŸ™‚
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 12:30
    The obelisk was a device that jump started intelligence in proto-humans and made it genetic so the whole species would have the creativity that one showed recognizing the bone could be weapon.

I didn't think it was phallo anything, looked like a slab to meπŸ™‚
    A genetic intelligence jump starting device? What will they think of next? School? LSD? πŸ˜‰

Science fiction/fantasy has always been interesting and entertaining for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree