1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 06:44
    @fmf said
    Bill's Big Bag of Onions S05 E04 ~ featuring From Colchester to Sulawesi Episode 4

More from the happy crew at Colne Radio including the latest instalment of Indonesia Phil's adventures in the wilds of northeast Sulawesi.

There are also ten Onions...

Fallen by Angela Cairns
    Forgive and Forget by Bill Lawrance
    Preventative Medicine by Simone Anon
    At The Dentist ...[text shortened]... tives by Minnie Ardo
    Surprising Sculptures by Daryl Lotterby
    The Meaning of Dishes by Phil Boast
    Four thumbs down for this one so far. Come now, it's just a radio show, albeit a good radio show, no need to get excited. Or better still, try to muscle up a bit and tell us what you're so offended by.
    Anyone....?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 06:52
    @fmf said
    Which song was that? It might have been a Mixcloud streaming glitch. In the main body of the programme - where all the Onions are [the microfictions] - the songs are mostly truncated and faded out so that you get about 150 seconds of music followed by 75 seconds of storytelling, and so on.
    I can't remember the song now but this makes sense, I know its a radio technique to slowly cut away from the music missing the end of the song sometimes, i was just never a fan of that. Really good show though, will give the others a listen when I have Wi-Fi again.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 08:57
    @trev33 said
    I can't remember the song now but this makes sense, I know its a radio technique to slowly cut away from the music missing the end of the song sometimes, i was just never a fan of that.
    There are about 42-44 minutes available for 10x stories [because the last quarter of an hour is dedicated to Phil and Paula's "reality saga"] meaning the 10 selected songs need to be about 3 minutes (on average). I don't want to restrict the pool of music I draw upon to songs which aren't longer than 3 mins.

Therefore in some cases, the music heard is maybe only verse-chorus, twice, leaving out maybe the 3rd verse-chorus. Sometimes only half the song is played. Sometimes the middle eight - or a section with an instrumental solo - is seized upon as an opportunity to bail out.

It's not ideal, sure enough. But reducing the show to only 7, 8 or 9 stories doesn't feel like the right formula.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 09:06
    @indonesia-phil said
    Four thumbs down for this one so far. Come now, it's just a radio show, albeit a good radio show, no need to get excited. Or better still, try to muscle up a bit and tell us what you're so offended by.
    Anyone....?
    I think the thumbs are coming from people who have the mentality of posters like Relentless Red [regardless of whether he himself has actually bothered to thumb it down on this occasion].

His mentality appears to be to "trash" - and endorse "trashing" - the radio show with "justifiable" thumbs down - because he has a big chip on his shoulder - but then accuse the programme-makers themselves of somehow "trashing" their own show!
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '21 09:07
    @trev33 said
    Really good show though, will give the others a listen when I have Wi-Fi again.
    Thanks. It's very much a collaborative effort. And its formula is very straightforward whilst enabling its content to go anywhere its writers please.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '21 05:211 edit

Removed by poster

7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '21 07:04
    Bill's Big Bag of Onions S05 E05 ~ featuring From Colchester to Sulawesi Episode 5

https://www.mixcloud.com/BillsBigBagOfOnions/bills-big-bag-of-onions-s05-e05-featuring-from-colchester-to-sulawesi-episode-5/

Indonesia Phil's adventures in the wilds of northeast Sulawesi continue.

The Horse that doesn’t Rock by Ian Hornett
    Boiling the Kettle by Hill Phoast
    Amy’s Blink By Lob Rewis
    Amelia’s Foot by Poni Teers
    Chain Reaction by Lill Bawrance
    Was he prepositioning her By Rob Lewis
    My Hero by Haul Pooper
    Ball Breaker by Bill Foast
    Big Nest by Menny Jiller
    Rest In Peace by Tom Wolsey
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '21 13:01
    @fmf said
    Bill's Big Bag of Onions S05 E05 ~ featuring From Colchester to Sulawesi Episode 5

https://www.mixcloud.com/BillsBigBagOfOnions/bills-big-bag-of-onions-s05-e05-featuring-from-colchester-to-sulawesi-episode-5/

Indonesia Phil's adventures in the wilds of northeast Sulawesi continue.

The Horse that doesn’t Rock by Ian Hornett
    Boiling ...[text shortened]... by Haul Pooper
    Ball Breaker by Bill Foast
    Big Nest by Menny Jiller
    Rest In Peace by Tom Wolsey
    Just got to listen, great show.

I thought the pseudonyms worked seamlessly as usual for those contributing more than one story.

Enjoyed my own microfiction very very very much indeed...
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    03 Feb '21 13:13
    @divegeester said
    Just got to listen, great show.

I thought the pseudonyms worked seamlessly as usual for those contributing more than one story.

Enjoyed my own microfiction very very very much indeed...
    I'm down in a trench somewhere in Sulawesi....
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '21 13:15
    @indonesia-phil said
    I’m just listening to your chapter 5 at the moment. I did need to go back and catch up on chapters 1 - 4.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    03 Feb '21 13:19
    @divegeester said
    I’m just listening to your chapter 5 at the moment. I did need to go back and catch up on chapters 1 - 4.
    Yes, it's an ongoing history, you'll need to start at the beginning....
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '21 20:47
    @indonesia-phil said
    A trench? Why are there still trenches on Celebes? It's hardly as if we are still there for them to hide from!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '21 01:06
    @shallow-blue said
    A trench? Why are there still trenches on Celebes? It's hardly as if we are still there for them to hide from!
    It has to do with a first stone.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '21 06:40
    It seems that very small amount of people here, really really really don’t like this topic about radio program.

I wonder who they can be and why they feel so strongly.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    04 Feb '21 07:42
    @divegeester said
    It seems that very small amount of people here, really really really don’t like this topic about radio program.

I wonder who they can be and why they feel so strongly.
    I don't know, and of course they're not big and brave enough to tell us. We rise above it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree