1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 01:14
    @huckleberryhound

According to the expert I saw on TV today, deaths come predominantly from 2 groups...

55 or older with at least 3 health conditions and people at least 85 years of age

Maybe there is a difference between ages and health.
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 01:19
    @trev33 said
    From what I hear from someone living there is that the Italians didn’t listen to the warnings and pretty much continued on as normal for the most part until the government stepped in when it got really bad, plus they kiss when they say hello that has to spread the virus more. After SARS I think the Chinese really listened as a collective group and it could have been much much ...[text shortened]... e in the north not taking it seriously, we’re going to be just as bad as Italy and Spain imo. Sadly.
    Yeah. No. Even if you take into account the Italian public's apathy, China just had it for longer without doing anything. Even if you counted the age and apathy to be a factor...1000 people per million difference. That would look to the layman as a statistical anomaly, no? Worthy of asking the question surely?
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 01:25
    @eladar said
    @huckleberryhound

According to the expert I saw on TV today, deaths come predominantly from 2 groups...

55 or older with at least 3 health conditions and people at least 85 years of age

Maybe there is a difference between ages and health.
    Let me say what i didn't in debates.

When the first case of Coronavirus came to the country i live in, my family was contacted by three family/family friends in the health care profession in China. Warnings were given. No Chinese person in the west who has family back home, will tell you the Chinese numbers are accurate. I would suggest the under reporting and misleading info given to the WHO lead to western apathy early on. Do you remember when more people died of the flu than coronavirus? Now every country in the west is in some sort of lock down. Just saying.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 08:13
    @trev33 said
    I was sick in the Philippines 3 weeks ago, fever for a couple of days, cough with phlegm and a runny nose which lasted a week in total. This was before much of the coronavirus hysteria and just thought of it as a bad cold, kind of wish it was corona now as as I understand it I shouldn’t be contagious now... girlfriend had a runny nose and cough for a while but not as bad but s ...[text shortened]... tually find out. Guess I should’ve gotten tested in Singapore, they’re taking it all very seriously.
    Those symptoms would indicate that what you had was not COVID-19 infection.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 10:04
    @trev33 said
    I was sick in the Philippines 3 weeks ago, fever for a couple of days, cough with phlegm and a runny nose which lasted a week in total. This was before much of the coronavirus hysteria and just thought of it as a bad cold, kind of wish it was corona now as as I understand it I shouldn’t be contagious now... girlfriend had a runny nose and cough for a while but not as bad but s ...[text shortened]... tually find out. Guess I should’ve gotten tested in Singapore, they’re taking it all very seriously.
    It's important to remember that; just because Covid19 has justifiably assumed all of the world's attention, we shouldn't expect that the rest of the world's infectious diseases went on holiday.

Though, wouldn't it be nice if we could just pit a virus against virus deathmatch?
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Mar '20 12:241 edit
    @wolfe63 said
    It's important to remember that; just because Covid19 has justifiably assumed all of the world's attention, we shouldn't expect that the rest of the world's infectious diseases went on holiday.
    You are most likely correct, but it doesn't stop the fact that all we are hearing about is Covid-19.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree