1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 13:50
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Physics.
    Physical reality.
    That which can be observed, measured, tested, and can be said to be falsifiable.
    You know (going out on a limb here), scientific.
    Einstein's theory of relativity.

Want me to talk you through it?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:00
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Einstein's theory of relativity.

Want me to talk you through it?
    Let's start with the 'easy' one first.
    I think the gravity question will be more than enough on anyone's plate.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:02
    You seriously doubt gravity?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:09
    But Einstein's general theory of relativity explains gravitational waves.

Check out:

http://www.space.com/31894-gravitational-waves-ligo-search-complete-coverage.html
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You seriously doubt gravity?
    You seriously think you can explain it?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    But Einstein's general theory of relativity explains gravitational waves.

Check out:

http://www.space.com/31894-gravitational-waves-ligo-search-complete-coverage.html
    The site you posted isn't his explanation (better: speculation) on the topic, but I already have a fairly good grasp on the idea.
    Similarly, I have the same understanding on the topic of gravity and what the force is said to affect.
    What we don't have, however, is a valid explanation of gravity which passes all tests.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:321 edit
    You seriously think you can explain it?
    So you figure if we can't explain it on some fundamental way, past relativity I assume, we can't expect to explain why planets stick together in more or less spherical form?

You really can't be THAT dense can you?

The real issue here is your desperate quest to prove Earth flat, in spite of the fact you claim you MIGHT be wrong.

So you will jump on any bandwagon that you THINK proves your point. You have to manufacture some fantasy universe where everywhere else in the universe gravity works fine, forcing planets and stars to be roughly spherical, all except Earth. The one object in the universe that is flat, and only a few miles thick like some kind of Disney world construction, totally manufactured with the sun a few thousand miles up and rotating around the flat Earth but the moon even closer because we know the moon gets in front of the sun.

Just how far out on the limb do you think you have to go to make your fantasy world real?

You have to dis astronomy, physics, chemistry, math, optics, in short almost everything we have laboriously figured out over the last 400 years in order for your fantasy world to work.

That is YOUR problem not ours.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:35
    So you figure if we can't explain it on some fundamental way, past relativity I assume, we can't expect to explain why planets stick together in more or less spherical form?

And immediately with the insults.
    Scared about this one, too, sonhouse?
    Isn't now about the time that you start regaling everyone with your discoveries in optics and how your work on radar-emitting signal relays PROVES gravity?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:391 edit
    And immediately with the insults.
    Scared about this one, too, sonhouse?
    Isn't now about the time that you start regaling everyone with your discoveries in optics and how your work on radar-emitting signal relays PROVES gravity?
    So what is it you think is going on when you drop a rock on your toe? Magnetic attraction? Do you deny you will hurt your toe if you drop a rock on it? What is that force that causes the rock to drop?

Don't tell me it's the acceleration of Earth into space. That bullshyte has been shown to be just fantasy already ten times over.

But in order for your fantasy world to work you HAVE to dis gravity and a lot of other things too so what else is new.

You are not the first person to try to do that and they have all failed big time so suck it up and get used to reality which is Earth as a spherical object with regular gravity and NASA not lying about anything.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    [b]What's to blame for gravity?

That's the sixty four thousand dollar question. Or it would have been in the 1960s, in today's economy it's more like the 64 billion dollar question. Gravity is directly linked to mass, but what exactly mass does to cause gravity is still a mystery.[/b]
    Yes, what causes gravity is a mystery. It appears certain that mass is in some way, if not directly, the cause of gravity. I rather think it is.

Is gravity a pull or a push or both? Is gravity the cause of magnetic fields? Is gravity what keeps all the mass in the universe in a state of equilibrium? Or does gravity create a state of flux kept in equilibrium by its own force of energy?

Are those questions scientifically valid, or were they worded wrongly?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:44
    So what is it you think is going on when you drop a rock on your toe? Magnetic attraction? Do you deny you will hurt your toe if you drop a rock on it? What is that force that causes the rock to drop?

Don't tell me it's the acceleration of Earth into space. That bullshyte has been shown to be just fantasy already ten times over.

But in order for your ...[text shortened]... ity which is Earth as a spherical object with regular gravity and NASA not lying about anything.
    So what it gravity sonhouse? What causes gravity? Mass? Gravity does exist, doesn't it? So what is it, and what is its cause?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:46
    The site you posted isn't his explanation (better: speculation) on the topic, but I already have a fairly good grasp on the idea.
    Similarly, I have the same understanding on the topic of gravity and what the force is said to affect.
    What we don't have, however, is a valid explanation of gravity which passes all tests.
    Do we have a valid explanation for God which passes all tests?

Yet still you believe?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes, what causes gravity is a mystery. It appears certain that mass is in some way, if not directly, the cause of gravity. I rather think it is.

Is gravity a pull or a push or both? Is gravity the cause of magnetic fields? Is gravity what keeps all the mass in the universe in a state of equilibrium? Or does gravity create a state of flux kept in equilibri ...[text shortened]... s own force of energy?

Are those questions scientifically valid, or were they worded wrongly?
    There are a thousand questions about gravity and Einstein posed it as just a bending of space, not a real force like magnets or a tornado. Mass causes space to curve and there is plenty of evidence to that effect, curved space also effects the flow of time as well as just going faster or slower.

Recent calculations have shown the core of Earth is a few years younger than the 4 billion year history of Earth due to the stronger gravity at the center.

We KNOW space is curved and time flows differently because we now have clocks so accurate they can tell by the flow of time measured directly if you have one clock at the same height above ground and then move one of them up a meter or so, the clocks start getting out of sync because of the fundamental nature of gravity curving space and time.

That has been proven so it seems a fact that mass causes space to bend and that is what we call gravity.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:50

The real issue here is your desperate quest to prove Earth flat, in spite of the fact you claim you MIGHT be wrong.

So you will jump o ...[text shortened]... r the last 400 years in order for your fantasy world to work.

That is YOUR problem not ours.
    You presume too much. It's effecting your objectivity. Never mind what you think is idiotic. We already know how you feel. That's subjectivism. Just focus on the topic.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 14:53
    There are a thousand questions about gravity and Einstein posed it as just a bending of space, not a real force like magnets or a tornado. Mass causes space to curve and there is plenty of evidence to that effect, curved space also effects the flow of time as well as just going faster or slower.

Recent calculations have shown the core of Earth is a few ...[text shortened]... been proven so it seems a fact that mass causes space to bend and that is what we call gravity.
    I guess we could replicate the effect by filling the bath and then introducing a large object/mass (say a football) and then observing how the ball displaces the water causing distortion of the once flat surface.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree