1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 18:13
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Well, if I'm to be in charge of time then my first question would be...

When?
    I said 'bring the time.' I didn't say you'd be in charge of it.

Sheesh.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 18:28
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I said 'bring the time.' I didn't say you'd be in charge of it.

Sheesh.
    Why should I bring it if I have no say in the matter? Do you intend to take credit for it and not acknowledge my part in this?

Okay then, in that case I want to be paid in advance. Money up front or no deal... The Donald has spoken!
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:17
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Why should I bring it if I have no say in the matter? Do you intend to take credit for it and not acknowledge my part in this?

Okay then, in that case I want to be paid in advance. Money up front or no deal... The Donald has spoken!
    Let's time share.

😞
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:30
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Explain gravity.
    Gravity sucks, especially as you get older.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:35
    Let's start with the 'easy' one first.
    I think the gravity question will be more than enough on anyone's plate.
    It's magnetism, already told you.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:38
    And immediately with the insults.
    Scared about this one, too, sonhouse?
    Isn't now about the time that you start regaling everyone with your discoveries in optics and how your work on radar-emitting signal relays PROVES gravity?
    What about light bending around black holes? I suppose black holes don't exist...right?

What about the orbit movement of the moon? I suppose that's a long piece of cheesy string?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is a teacher showing the bending of space using spandex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY1Kje0yLg

It is only mass that causes the bending of space. Light is massless so it cannot by itself bend space so it cannot generate gravity. Strangely enough, if light is generated at huge power levels, say a really strong laser and you shine the two lase ...[text shortened]...

THAT resulting matter will bend space, of course just a tiny tiny bit but it does bend space.
    You realise you just described creation?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 19:43
    Weight falls because it has density.
    If an object has less density than the atmosphere in which it sits, it floats on the density of the atmosphere.

People walk up and down the street, past massive buildings and yet the mass of the building does not attract their much lesser mass.

Comets completely leave the solar system, flying past varying mass ...[text shortened]... rcury to it: still stuck 36 million miles away.

Gravity.
    Pretty powerful force, of course.
    Good grief. Do you have a banjo by any chance?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 20:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Good grief. Do you have a banjo by any chance?
    If gravity is real--- physical: observable, measurable, testable and falsifiable --- it necessarily must be demonstrable right here on ol' planet earth.

It isn't.
    Everyone who's ever considered it knows this, but why balk at the emperor's new wardrobe, if everyone else is in awe?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 20:18
    If gravity is real--- physical: observable, measurable, testable and falsifiable --- it necessarily must be demonstrable right here on ol' planet earth.

It isn't.
    Everyone who's ever considered it knows this, but why balk at the emperor's new wardrobe, if everyone else is in awe?
    The force of gravity is unrelenting. The Earth's gravity pulls everything down, to the very rock it is made of. (The reason the Earth is spherical. - The pressure of gravity equally in all directions).

Spheres come naturally to things the size of a planet, once gravity starts to work. Your demonstration of gravity is all around you sir.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 20:471 edit

It isn't.
    Just exactly what drugs are you on? What part about dropping a rock on your toe will hurt? Exactly what force does the attracting then? Gravity is not a force like magnetism. A refrigerator magnet held on the side of a refrigerator, a weak magnet, holds up against the gravity of an entire planet. Magnetism is millions or billions of times stronger pound for pound than gravity because gravity is just the bending of space and time in response to mass. Gravity is measurable quite easily, you should really study a topic before you start mouthing off nonsense. I guess you figure if you just mouth some nonsense, someone will believe you. I guess that might be true on a soapbox in central park but in the real world you are up against people who can actually think for themselves.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 21:00
    Just exactly what drugs are you on? What part about dropping a rock on your toe will hurt? Exactly what force does the attracting then? Gravity is not a force like magnetism. A refrigerator magnet held on the side of a refrigerator, a weak magnet, holds up against the gravity of an entire planet. Magnetism is millions or billions of times stronger pound for ...[text shortened]... tral park but in the real world you are up against people who can actually think for themselves.
    "...gravity is just the bending of space and time in response to mass."

That's positively insane. Did science tell you that? Is that a theory, or are you absolutely sure that's how it really works? One would have to be a god to know that sheet! 😉 Unless of course it was revealed by a god to science. 😉
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 23:36
    Just exactly what drugs are you on? What part about dropping a rock on your toe will hurt? Exactly what force does the attracting then? Gravity is not a force like magnetism. A refrigerator magnet held on the side of a refrigerator, a weak magnet, holds up against the gravity of an entire planet. Magnetism is millions or billions of times stronger pound for ...[text shortened]... tral park but in the real world you are up against people who can actually think for themselves.
    Drugs?
    Sounds like you need some.
    Everything you ascribe to gravity is the domain of density.
    You cannot demonstrate gravity on the planet without invoking density.
    Beyond that (as usual) you have literally nothing.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '16 23:37
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The force of gravity is unrelenting. The Earth's gravity pulls everything down, to the very rock it is made of. (The reason the Earth is spherical. - The pressure of gravity equally in all directions).

Spheres come naturally to things the size of a planet, once gravity starts to work. Your demonstration of gravity is all around you sir.
    When gravity looks exactly like density, you need to rework your formula.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jul '16 04:561 edit
    Drugs?
    Sounds like you need some.
    Everything you ascribe to gravity is the domain of density.
    You cannot demonstrate gravity on the planet without invoking density.
    Beyond that (as usual) you have literally nothing.
    It is well known the flow of time changes depending on how deep you are in a gravity field. Atomic clocks are now accurate enough to see the shift in the flow of time when you move an atomic clock a meter up or down compared to another clock of the same technology.

If they are on the same level, they are in sync, if one is now moved to a higher level, say one meter higher, it starts running slightly faster and if down from the first one will start running a tiny bit slower. The deeper you are into a gravity well (space/time curve) the slower time flows.

You don't get to just willy nilly refashion what gravity is just to satisfy your fantasy unless you of course, using your own knowledge of cosmology and physics, have your own paper submitted to a peer reviewed journal showing us how things really are.

Just spouting crap about 'density' gets you nowhere.

Of course it is well known if you have a giant ball of lead a thousand miles wide V a giant ball of water the same size, the lead ball will have a deeper gravity well. What a shocker.

It is the total mass that determines the depth of the gravity well but if it is distributed in a sphere where you have a million little balls a cm wide separated by a meter or something it will have a smaller but wider dip in the gravity field or the local space/time curve.

If you have a mass like a neutron star where one teaspoon of the stuff weighs or masses a million tons you are going to have a very steep curve and light will bend quite a bit going by such a mass.

The simple formula 4GM/c^2 * r tells the story of all of those, how much light bends going by such and such a mass at such and such an altitude above it.

For the sun the bending is about 4 micro-radians or 1.75 arc seconds of bending for light going past the sun and two such beams on opposite side of the sun will come together and meet at around 50 billion miles away from the sun which you can do using simple trig.

My new formula does that with just one simple algebraic formula, finding the focus point of light passing any body. For the sun, about 50 billion miles. For Earth about 1/4th of a light year. I did all the planets rather quickly doing my new formula.

So tell us o maven of physics, exactly what YOU think gravity is and have us thinking straight and showing us how Einstein was totally wrong.

If you have an actual black hole, the mass is so great and so concentrated light can at best orbit the black hole just above the event horizon.

If the light goes deeper than the event horizon, it goes inside the black hole and can not get back out since the escape velocity of the black hole is greater than the speed of light.

That is where 'density' comes into play.

Did you think you were telling us something new and startlingly fresh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree