General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9857
    04 Jul '16 00:15
    1) Is the moon round? How do you know?

    2) Are the other planets in our solar system round or flat? How do you know?
  2. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    04 Jul '16 00:50
    Originally posted by vivify
    1) Is the moon round? How do you know?

    2) Are the other planets in our solar system round or flat? How do you know?
    What is "round"? 😉

    My question is why? Why is the moon round and not square or rectangular?
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    04 Jul '16 00:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    What is "round"? 😉

    My question is why? Why is the moon round and not square or rectangular?
    Gravity is to blame for the shape of planets.
  4. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    04 Jul '16 00:57
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Gravity is to blame for the shape of planets.
    That makes perfect sense.

    What's to blame for gravity?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9857
    04 Jul '16 01:17
    Originally posted by josephw
    What is "round"? 😉

    My question is why? Why is the moon round and not square or rectangular?
    I should've said spherical. But I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    04 Jul '16 01:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    What's to blame for gravity?
    A gift from God.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52913
    04 Jul '16 01:22
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    A gift from God.
    Without gravity, a root beer float would take on an entirely new meaning......
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    04 Jul '16 02:531 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    That makes perfect sense.

    What's to blame for gravity?
    What's to blame for gravity?

    That's the sixty four thousand dollar question. Or it would have been in the 1960s, in today's economy it's more like the 64 billion dollar question. Gravity is directly linked to mass, but what exactly mass does to cause gravity is still a mystery.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Hero of the masses
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    18288
    04 Jul '16 06:56
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    [b]What's to blame for gravity?

    That's the sixty four thousand dollar question. Or it would have been in the 1960s, in today's economy it's more like the 64 billion dollar question. Gravity is directly linked to mass, but what exactly mass does to cause gravity is still a mystery.[/b]
    Nah. As you say, mass (in particular the sun) causes space around it to curve. Hey presto, gravity at the speed of light dude.

    Where's the mystery Einstein?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    04 Jul '16 07:14
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Gravity is to blame for the shape of planets.
    Explain gravity.
  11. PFJ Judea AD33
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    93843
    04 Jul '16 07:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    That makes perfect sense.

    What's to blame for gravity?
    Magnets
  12. PFJ Judea AD33
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    93843
    04 Jul '16 07:29
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Explain gravity.
    If can explain it to your satisfaction will you be satisfied; if he can't will you continue to assail our senses with your mumbo-jumbo?
  13. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    04 Jul '16 12:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If can explain it to your satisfaction will you be satisfied; if he can't will you continue to assail our senses with your mumbo-jumbo?
    Since Newton himself couldn't, I doubt anyone else will be able to either.
    That being said, it doesn't have to please me; it simply needs to not counter reality on any scientific level.
  14. PFJ Judea AD33
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    93843
    04 Jul '16 12:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That being said, it doesn't have to please me; it simply needs to not counter reality on any scientific level.
    What is "reality" in this scenario?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    04 Jul '16 13:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What is "reality" in this scenario?
    Physics.
    Physical reality.
    That which can be observed, measured, tested, and can be said to be falsifiable.
    You know (going out on a limb here), scientific.
Back to Top