1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 03:481 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Or so "they" would have you think...

The forums are the best they've ever been and the site itself is way ahead of its competitors in terms of chess interface and supporting protocols.

I would gladly sell my house and all its contents to continue being a subscriber here and enjoy the smorgasbord of benefits and privileges my meagre stipend to Russ the Great entitles me to.

Long live RHP!
    Jesus geester, it's a chess site with debate forums. It just ain't that big a deal.

Keep your house and let your subscription expire. When you scrape together 40 bucks you can buy another year's worth.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Jesus geester...
    It's not often one sees a Christian using Christ's name in vain.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 07:58
    Jesus geester, it's a chess site with debate forums. It just ain't that big a deal.

Keep your house and let your subscription expire. When you scrape together 40 bucks you can buy another year's worth.
    I think this site is excellent and the forum are a vibrant and engaging as they have ever been. All the main contributors seem happy and content with their posting and there is, I think, I feeling of prosperity in all its forms, casting a pervading vibe across the site.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 08:00
    It's not often one sees a Christian using Chris's name in vain.
    Wasn't the name inspired by one of the Wise Men bumping his head hard on a ceiling beam in the stable: "Jesus Christ!" he cried out, rubbing his skull. "Yesss. THAT'S what we'll call him!" said Mary.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 12:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wasn't the name inspired by one of the Wise Men bumping his head hard on a ceiling beam in the stable: "Jesus Christ!" he cried out, rubbing his skull. "Yesss. THAT'S what we'll call him!" said Mary.
    I'm sure Josephw will be along to justify why he feels it appropriate to takes Christs name in vain. Perhaps she has also had a bang on the head.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 13:19
    I'm sure Josephw will be along to justify why he feels it appropriate to takes Christs name in vain. Perhaps she has also had a bang on the head.
    Your biblical illiteracy is endearing, like a child asking where heaven is because you couldn't find it on a map.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 14:002 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Your biblical illiteracy is endearing, like a child asking where heaven is because you couldn't find it on a map.
    I see a BLURT!

But of course you are keeping any substantiation, facts and examples to yourself in case you might be found to be wrong.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 14:28
    It's not often one sees a Christian using Christ's name in vain.
    Wasn't in vain. I really meant it.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 14:29
    I think this site is excellent and the forum are a vibrant and engaging as they have ever been. All the main contributors seem happy and content with their posting and there is, I think, I feeling of prosperity in all its forms, casting a pervading vibe across the site.
    That's just you being a suckup. 99.999999999% of my life is outside the confines of this asylum. 😉
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 14:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    If that wasn't so stupid I'd be funny.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 14:49
    I see a BLURT!

But of course you are keeping any substantiation, facts and examples to yourself in case you might be found to be wrong.
    But even if Freaky quoted the appropriate verses you wouldn't recognize them. You probably believe what your mentor said about the name Jesus Christ being coined by a wise man bumping his head on a beam in a stable.

FMF used Christ's name in vain, and you didn't even see it.

See if you can fathom this.

Isaiah 26: 19
    Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

Paul referenced that verse in Ephesians 5:14
    Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Wake up divegeester.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 15:03
    Wasn't in vain. I really meant it.
    So you think it ok for people to say the name of "Jesus" as an exclamation...?
    I think I'm beginning to understand why we don't get on.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 15:461 edit
    So you think it ok for people to say the name of "Jesus" as an exclamation...?
    I think I'm beginning to understand why we don't get on.
    "Blasphemy (Greek blaptein, "to injure", and pheme, "reputation" ) signifies etymologically gross irreverence towards any person or thing worthy of exalted esteem." -- New Advent

Calling out the name of God, or, in Christianity, Jesus Christ, when you bump your head of for some other trivial reason is such irreverence as defined above. When intentionally done by a non-believer in the hearing of believers, it is mockery. However, there may be believers who are not bothered by it. Is it OK for them not to be bothered by it?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 16:05
    I see a BLURT!

You desire a verse war only because you do not understand the meaning behind the words.
    Inflexibility is a hallmark of legalism.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 17:05
    That's just you being a suckup. 99.999999999% of my life is outside the confines of this asylum. 😉
    That would be less than a minute a year. Probably how much time you spend thinking, rather than posting...? 😉😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree