1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 17:07
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Blasphemy (Greek blaptein, "to injure", and pheme, "reputation" ) signifies etymologically gross irreverence towards any person or thing worthy of exalted esteem." -- New Advent

Calling out the name of God, or, in Christianity, Jesus Christ, when you bump your head of for some other trivial reason is such irreverence as defined above. When intentionally do ...[text shortened]... , there may be believers who are not bothered by it. Is it OK for them not to be bothered by it?
    Not in my opinion.
    Most Christians I've met are not comfortable with blasphemy.
    Josephw is the first Christian I've ever met wog is comfortable taking the name of Jesus in vain.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 17:46
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Not in my opinion.
    Josephw is the first Christian I've ever met wog is comfortable taking the name of Jesus in vain.
    "Taking in vain" refers to another admonition not to call upon God for a trivial or selfish favor, out of vanity. Of course it would also refer to asking for something of no significant consequence.

OK I''m back to lurk mode.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 18:50
    So you think it ok for people to say the name of "Jesus" as an exclamation...?
    I think I'm beginning to understand why we don't get on.
    No I don't think that naming the name of Jesus as an exclamation is wrong.

What's wrong is people that think they're so high and mighty they can judge another's motives and intent by making arbitrary conclusions because they have nothing else to go on.

Beat a dead horse divegeester. See if I care.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 18:55
    That would be less than a minute a year. Probably how much time you spend thinking, rather than posting...? 😉😛
    That would be a good one dive if it weren't for the fact that you completely missed the point.

But at least it gave you the opportunity to reveal how your mind works.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 18:57
    Not in my opinion.
    Well, if nothing else at least you know it's just your opinion.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 19:04
    Originally posted by josephw

What's wrong is people that think they're so high and mighty they can judge another's motives and intent by making arbitrary conclusions because they have nothing else to go on.

Rather strangely (considering my atheistic leanings) I wouldn't say 'Jesus' as an exclamation and would feel uncomfortable doing so.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 19:35

It's your call and I'll leave it with you. Something to read and consider.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_take_the_name_of_the_Lord_thy_God_in_vain

Also exodus 20:7
    "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God."
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 19:36
    Well, if nothing else at least you know it's just your opinion.
    It's not just my opinon. See my post above.
    I'll not mention it again.
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:16
    I don't know if it's "finished" or something like that, i missed for some years (not because i was tired of the site by the way.......) but i know as a sure fact that i tried other correspondece chess sites and, for whatevr reason, i always end up returning here.
    Long live RHP!
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:291 edit
    Now I see why my Father always said don't get into any arguments about Religion. It could go on for ever, and never come to a solution. Told me arguing about Politics was another lost cause. Was he ever correct!!!

Regards,
    -VR
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:36
    The NT often showed conflict with the mindset of the Pharisees. See Luke 7:36-50 for a particularly good example.

From Wikipedia:
    "The New Testament, particularly the Synoptic Gospels, presents especially the leadership of the Pharisees as obsessed with man-made rules (especially concerning purity) whereas Jesus is more concerned with God’s love; the Pharisees scorn sinners whereas Jesus seeks them out... Because of the New Testament's frequent depictions of Pharisees as self-righteous rule-followers (see also Woes of the Pharisees and Legalism (theology)), the word "pharisee" (and its derivatives: "pharisaical", etc.) has come into semi-common usage in English to describe a hypocritical and arrogant person who places the letter of the law above its spirit."

Hypocritical, arrogant and self-righteous 'rule-followers'. Indeed.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:39
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Rather strangely (considering my atheistic leanings) I wouldn't say 'Jesus' as an exclamation and would feel uncomfortable doing so.
    I suppose you could say, "Great Caesar's ghost!!!" or something similar. 🙂
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hypocritical, arrogant and self-righteous 'rule-followers'. Indeed.
    Plus Russ himself came down from the clouds to bless them, as
    touted by Judas in this or other thread, I can't remember anymore.
  14. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:46
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Now I see why my Father always said don't get into any arguments about Religion. It could go on for ever, and never come to a solution. Told me arguing about Politics was another lost cause. Was he ever correct!!!

Regards,
    -VR
    That's why, almost ten years ago, Russ implemented the "spirituality forum".
    To keep those crappy, useless and heated discussions (about practically nothing) out of other forums, especially this one.
    But then again i see that in this very thread the posts discussing Rhp as the OP suggested are very few and not considerated.
    Just see as this thread quickly degenerated over silly things.
    Same old, same old....
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Jul '16 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    That's why, almost ten years ago, Russ implemented the "spirituality forum".
    To keep those crappy, useless and heated discussions (about practically nothing) out of other forums, especially this one.
    But then again i see that in this very thread the posts discussing Rhp as the OP suggested are very few and not considerated.
    Just see as this thread quickly degenerated over silly things.
    Same old, same old....
    Sir,
    A little bit of everything gets discussed in this forum. As a rule not much in the way of religion until someone brings up something about using the Lords name in vain, then it starts a big conversation about it. Just the way it is!

Regards,
    -VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree