This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 13:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    High rating or not, you have the social instinct of a tarantula. And OF COURSE I fully expect a stinging rebuke, like that would prove you are a real person. Hint: Don't go into politics. It requires empathy, something you sorely lack and BTW you are not the brightest bulb in the candelabra even if you are as you say a national master which is, at 2200 or so, only 600 points lower than the top ten. BTW, you don't even have to bother telling me I am a fish, I already know that.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 14:421 edit
    When I got Bronstein´s "Secret Notes" last summer, I'd read it in one go, and now I am leafing through it again, lingering on some touching parts. It's really good script for a biopic film, and if you added some spy spices, it would sound like it was written by Le Carre.

Bronstein was practically banned from traveling abroad on tournaments (evil Baturinsky!; and others) from midst seventies, and when it finally got free, he got sick and had to undergo major surgery.

But he recovered and traveled as a gray lion in his seventies, trying to find another home.
    Spain, Island, Scandinavia - they all could have him, but the living legend wasn't good enough for them. He was guest in rich chess enthusiasts' homes ("I never felt good with rich people around me", he writes) he was poorly paid player for some chess teams, thinking all the time if his serious illness will come back...

Now and then he played a brilliant game, but he couldn't keep the form on high level during whole tournament.

Finally he gave up idea of moving abroad and settled back in his wife's university city to die there.

By accident I played chess several times in Øbro skakforening in Copenhagen, and only after I read this book I discovered that Bronstein played there, too, and that the club president was "a young man with back-pack" who welcomed him in Copenhagen Primo nineties and who now organizes some rapid and standard tournaments in the club.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 22:37
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Sometimes it takes a "few" pages to get into a book. The only one, thus far, I tried for about 100 pages (twice) was The Life of Pi and I just couldn't complete it.
    If you enjoy mystery, check out The Dry: A Novel by Jane Harper. For good non-fiction,
    look for David Grann's The Lost City of Z, or his new book, Killers of the Flower Moon.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    If you enjoy mystery, check out The Dry: A Novel by Jane Harper. For good non-fiction,
    look for David Grann's The Lost City of Z, or his new book, Killers of the Flower Moon.
    Thank you, I will try to find all of them. I believe Andy's suggestion might also please Stees.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 14:57
    The Dry - Swedish title 'Hetta' (the heat) - is available in Swedish and I will try to get it from our library. It has very good reviews.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 20:31
    Originally posted by @torunn
    The Dry - Swedish title 'Hetta' (the heat) - is available in Swedish and I will try to get it from our library. It has very good reviews.
    Another from 2014 (you may know of it already) is All the Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 20:351 edit
    Another from 2014 (you may know of it already) is All the Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
    Thank you so much - 'Ljuset vi inte ser', a book to my liking, I'm sure.
  9. old pueblo
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 19:24
    Beneath A Scarlet Sky, by Mark Sullivan

"based on a true story of a forgotten hero" -- a youth in WWII Italy
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Jan '18 13:32
    Ljuset vi inte ser - reading it now.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Jan '18 14:561 edit
    H.M.S. Ulysses by Alistair MacLean (again)

I enjoy reading this in the winter. It makes my local weather seem much more tolerable, no matter how krappy it really is. 🙂
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Jan '18 09:15
    I have just read Neil Gaiman: The Ocean at the end of the street.

A very good read again by Gaiman!
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 19:18
    Interesting reading...?

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-10-most-important-moments-in-chess-history
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 21:14
    Summer Lightning, by Wodehouse.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 06:50
    Pulitzer-Price Winner 2015 All the Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - in Swedish Ljuset vi inte ser - really is a great novel, "Stunningly beautiful" (The New York Times), "A masterpiece" (Library Journal).

I'm half-way through the story and I love every sentence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree