1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 10:48
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    Lets just hope it was because of something more exciting like a new baby?
    You must be psychic!!!
    Due end of January.
    😀
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 10:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    He hasn't posted for a month and a half. I for one miss him. Has anyone heard anything from him or about him?
    Thanks.
    Why did that deserve 4 thumbs down?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 10:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Cant say I have, he was one of the few people who actually put into chess praxis a daring gambit that was invented by Captain Tennison who was a rather swashbuckling American civil war curiosity. He deserted from the North to fight for the South because he fancied a Southern Belle who could not contemplate marrying a Yankee. Upon his desertion he wa ...[text shortened]... y Wolfgang much to his enjoyment. It begins 1.Nf3 d5 2.e4!? and is held to be slightly dubious.
    Yes - thanks Robbie. I'm still trying it at blitz and occasionally otb.
    And the similar 1. Nf3 f5 2.e4?! fxe 3. Ng5
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 10:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    He agreed with me one too many times.
    Nobody alerted me to my limit! 😞
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 10:55
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Welcome back 😀
    Thank you!
    But I'll just be popping in occasionally.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 12:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Nobody alerted me to my limit! 😞
    Well, some are sensitive and reactionary.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 12:31
    Thanks.
    Why did that deserve 4 thumbs down?
    Thumbs down are more or less meaningless. While some thumbs down are actually deserved. Most are just given as Reflex on the poster's Name.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 12:50
    Thumbs down are more or less meaningless. While some thumbs down are actually deserved. Most are just given as Reflex on the poster's Name.
    When someone gives one of my posts a thumbs down my ego just assumes they have accidentally slipped with the mouse.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 23:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    When someone gives one of my posts a thumbs down my ego just assumes they have accidentally slipped with the mouse.
    I assume that when I get a thumbs up!
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 01:281 edit
    You must be psychic!!!
    Due end of January.
    😀
    Congratulations 😵
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 04:423 edits
    Agreed. I take no notice of them, except for two occasions:

1 when there are loads and loads either up or down on post by any poster. This is interesting because it indicated that the post is universally appreciated, universally disliked or is strongly dividing opinion.

2 I also take notice if there are thumbing patterns such as certain posters thumbing down every single post of another poster - this happens a lot certain with posters who thumb down pretty much all of the posts by their detractors. There are probably 3 or 4 of the regulars who do this. I find it curious behaviour.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 05:05
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I also take notice if there are thumbing patterns such as certain posters thumbing down every single post of another poster - this happens a lot certain with posters who thumb down pretty much all of the posts by their detractors. There are probably 3 or 4 of the regulars who do this. I find it curious behaviour.
    I'm not convinced it's as many as 3 or 4, more like 1 or 2. Much of the time I think it's just the one person, actually. The thumbs all appear in a short space of time when she (or - who knows - maybe it's a he) posts on a thread somewhere.

Just make an 'official' suggestion on the Site Ideas Forum ~ or perhaps here on the General Forum ~ that the identities of those giving Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down are shown, and see who gets really agitated and starts spluttering about how it will be the beginning of the end for the web site and how they will cancel their subscription etc. etc.

That's probably the person who does it.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 08:471 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm not convinced it's as many as 3 or 4, more like 1 or 2. Much of the time I think it's just the one person, actually. The thumbs all appear in a short space of time when she (or - who knows - maybe it's a he) posts on a thread somewhere.

Just make an 'official' suggestion on the Site Ideas Forum ~ or perhaps here on the General Forum ~ that the identities ...[text shortened]... nd how they will cancel their subscription etc. etc.

That's probably the person who does it.
    There was no evidence of this last time you suggested this obvious control-freak idea, and there's no evidence of this now.

I realize you'd love to be able to silence your detractors. You already attack all who have the audacity to disagree with you. Now if that disagreement was silenced, your takeover would be complete, wouldn't it? Removing free speech is always the first act of tyranny, and never the last. If you remove the anonymity of the thumbs, you may as well remove the thumbs entirely. I'm guessing either would be perfectly fine with you.

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 08:59
    There was no evidence of this last time you suggested this obvious control-freak idea, and there's no evidence of this now.
    What is there "no evidence" of?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 09:011 edit
    I realize you'd love to be able to silence your detractors. You already attack all who have the audacity to disagree with you. Now if that disagreement was silenced, your takeover would be complete, wouldn't it? Removing free speech is always the first act of tyranny, and never the last. If you remove the anonymity of the thumbs, you may as well remove the thumbs entirely. I'm guessing either would be perfectly fine with you.
    How am I proposing to "remove free speech"? How am I proposing to "silence [my] detractors"? How am I proposing that "disagreement is silenced"? What on earth are you on about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree