Why is everything in the Bible true and accurate?

Why is everything in the Bible true and accurate?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Feb 22

Why does everything which is written in the Bible have be taken as being absolute truth, morally right, totally accurate etc?

This is a serious honest question.

F

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

Because if you don't, according to some, you will face inexpicably cruel violence. Deservedly so, apparently.

rain

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
Why does everything which is written in the Bible have be taken as being absolute truth, morally right, totally accurate etc?

The more you can question an authority the less control that authority has. So if the Bible is wrong in one area, you can question or even disobey others.

Über-Nerd

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

@divegeester said

The inerrancy of Scripture is a common (No. American) misinterpretation of one of the Five Fundamentals of Protestantism. See item 4. ->

http://protestantism.co.uk/solas

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Feb 22

@fmf said
Because if you don't, according to some, you will face inexpicably cruel violence. Deservedly so, apparently.
Divegeester said it was a serious honest question. Why are you slinging mud? What's your excuse?

F

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said

The first thing that snapped for me was the veracity of the Book of Revelation. It just seemed bogus and manipulative. The second thing to snap was the whole Paul thing. That then just seemed bogus and manipulative too. Then I lost my belief in the Gospel of John and started to see that as bogus and manipulative as well. And that was that, really. It took sbout five years Some nice messages in the gospels. But my faith was lost.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

@josephw said
Divegeester said it was a serious honest question. Why are you slinging mud? What's your excuse?
Do you have a reply to my question?

F

Moves
06 Feb 22

@josephw said
You have called the doctrine I'm referring to as "mud".

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Feb 22

@moonbus said
The inerrancy of Scripture is a common (No. American) misinterpretation of one of the Five Fundamentals of Protestantism. See item 4. ->

http://protestantism.co.uk/solas
Thanks for the reference, I’ve taken the initiative to copy/paste the relevant section here:

4. Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone)

Scripture alone is the only infallible source of divine revelation and the final authority for matters of faith and practice. Sola Scriptura does not mean that all truth is contained in the Bible (for example the Nicene Creed is widely accepted and recited within orthodox Christianity), but rather that all mankind needs to know for salvation is contained within its pages.

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV).

“For concerning the divine and holy mysteries of the Faith, not even a casual statement must be delivered without the Holy Scriptures; nor must we be drawn aside by mere plausibility and artifices of speech. Even to me, who tell thee these things, give not absolute credence, unless thou receive the proof of the things which I announce from the Divine Scriptures. For this salvation which we believe depends not on ingenious reasoning, but on demonstration of the Holy Scriptures.”
Cyril of Jerusalem (Catechetical Lectures, 4:17)

Protestants typically argue that scripture is perspicuous or clear to all people regarding the essential truths of the Christian gospel of salvation. In contrast to the Roman Catholic view of a Magisterium (or teaching office) of the church, which is required to infallibly interpret scripture; Protestants argue that through the Holy Spirit, individuals can, by themselves interpret the scriptures responsibly.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV).
This is one of the scriptures I was pointed at many years ago.

However at the time of writing the Bible, as we know it today, was not complied so it’s open to opinion as to which scriptures were being referred to here and which weren’t.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

@vivify said
The more you can question an authority the less control that authority has. So if the Bible is wrong in one area, you can question or even disobey others.
Yours is a valid point, however I am not specifically looking to disobey.

But I am questioning because some stuff just isn’t morally defensible and I simply cannot swallow it.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said

The bible is taken to the absolute truth for Christians only. The absolute truth is from the mouth of Jesus Christ. So when the truth as Jesus spoke it, contradicts what the Bible said, then Christians have a problem and they often side with the bible.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Thanks for the reference, I’ve taken the initiative to copy/paste the relevant section here:

4. Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone)

Scripture alone is the only infallible source of divine revelation and the final authority for matters of faith and practice. Sola Scriptura does not mean that all truth is contained in the Bible (for example the Nicene Creed is widely acc ...[text shortened]... e that through the Holy Spirit, individuals can, by themselves interpret the scriptures responsibly.
The bible is not more authoritative than Christ.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said

Psalm 119:89
For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

Psalm 12:6,7
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Matthew 5:18
"Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Without the veracity, inerrancy, infallibility and immutability of the Word of God it's just a crap shoot and nothing can be believed.

Anyone that claims to know that the Bible is full of errors and cannot be trusted and relied upon is making themselves a greater authority than, and above, God's Word.

Risky business that is making oneself smarter than God, as though God isn't smart enough to preserve His Word.
And if God can't preserve his word, then how can you trust that he can preserve you?

Proverb 22:12
The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge, and he overthroweth the words of the transgressor.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

@divegeester said

Can you cite anything in the Holy Bible that is not absolutely true, morally right, totally accurate, etc.?

If the Bible was written by men under the inspiration, guidance and control of God’s Holy Spirit - and I believe it was due to accurate prophecies and scientific facts that were thousands of years ahead of man’s knowledge at the time - wouldn’t it have to be the criteria you listed?