1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 05:45
    Who has the balls to stand up and explain what is wrong with the existence of this Spirituality ex Debates forum, and with the ideas and motivations behind its inception?

Anybody at all?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 21:23
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Who has the balls to stand up and explain what is wrong with the existence of this Spirituality ex Debates forum, and with the ideas and motivations behind its inception?

Anybody at all?
    Cowards and weenies asked for this, the same types of ones that
    want any idea out of the public that disagree with or feel is warm
    and fuzzy to their way of thinking or acting. They hide behind
    separation of church and state, or they hide behind being offended
    at the thought that someone may think they are at odds with the
    God another person believes in; they want to be protected from
    feeling they may be wrong, so they try to force these types of
    discussions away from where they may see them. In the real word
    these type of people try to force all religion speech into the churches
    so they are not bothered there either. This is my opinion on why this
    board was made, some one caved and freedom of speech takes
    another blow to the head.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 21:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    they want to be protected from
    feeling they may be wrong, so they try to force these types of
    discussions away from where they may see them.

This is my opinion on why this
    board was made, some one caved and freedom of speech takes
    another blow to the head.

Very good. Anybody else? Surely more people than KellyJay and I recognize what a disgrace this decision was.

4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 21:51
    I'm afraid the decision is here to stay. However, it is my suggestion that this forum section be one that is off limits to moderation. I, for one, believe one's faith should be allowed to be offensive. If moderation continues to exist in this particular forum, it is sending the message that the moderator is condemning my faith. I find that unacceptable.
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 22:23
    I myself can't find a need for this forum. I now don't know where my beliefs should end in a debate. My beliefs shape who I am and will be a factor in my discussions. If someone asks me if I think it's ok to kill another human being, how do I answer without using my core belief system? It's part of who I am.

My spirituality is connected in the way I play chess, the way I run my clan, and the very username and clanname I have picked. What if we have a debate over clan names one day, and I try to give the reasoning behind my choice, will it be modded? Is it an automatic religious debate at that point, and therefore the whole thread should be moved?

If I'm in a debate and I counter with a "I believe" statement, is my post now considered spiritual because it's based on my beliefs? Seriously a line has been drawn here but I don't know where that line is. I don't know if I've crossed it or how to avoid crossing it without denying who I am.

A person with strong religious convictions, are they now unable to participate in a debate outside of this forum? What if they say they don't kill people cause God says it's not ok to kill people. Is this religion or ethics?

Nyxie
    the Valkyrja
  6. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:191 edit
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I myself can't find a need for this forum. I now don't know where my beliefs should end in a debate. My beliefs shape who I am and will be a factor in my discussions. If someone asks me if I think it's ok to kill another human being, how d ...[text shortened]... o kill people. Is this religion or ethics?

Nyxie
    the Valkyrja
    I am with you 100%. Personally, I think this is a very shallow attempt to appease a demographic whose arguements are asinine at best.

I don't mind if someone has a problem with my beliefs. I don't mind if someone takes offense by my religion. I don't mind that there are people who will cry foul at the slightest mention of anything spiritual. That's their business, and they have a right to it. HOWEVER, I have the same right......or atleast, I thought I did.

I am going to put this as clearly as I can, and I hope the site admins. pay serious attention and give this some serious thought.

The separation of spirituality oriented issues and comments from the debates forum is an unacceptable bias. Spirituality is no different than any other issue or concept in any relevant way. I am well aware that it may be the most heated issue at this site, and the individuals involved may feel more strongly about it than any other issue at hand. Again though, it is in no relevant way different than any other issue in the debates forum, past or present. This separation of ideas is nothing more than an easy out for the site admins. They should be ashamed of themselves and I have taken great personal offense from this, both in the academic sense and the theistic sense. I will not be sensored in such a biased fashion and I insist that they either revoke this concept or make allowances such as kirk has suggested. They have taken, now I expect some giving.

Again, there is no relevace to this other than appeasing an intolerant demographic. This makes as much sense as making people declare certain games to allow the fools mate, other wise the maneuver is impossible. This is foolishness and asinity at its highest, and I am greatly disturbed and saddened at the lack of wisdom and integrity that this maneuver infers.

In my country (the USA), just about any place of employment makes a declaration in their employment forms that they do not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, etc. One of these declarations not discriminating on the basis of religion. This is a basic concept of equal treatment, which to the best of my knowledge is also prevalent in the UK. Unfortunately, it is apparent to me that some feel such basic notions are unimportant in cyberspace.

I will abide by this proposterous notion, if only because I am impotent to do otherwise. I can not, and will not, grant it any respect as it would be completely unwarranted. I am sad to say it, but I am beginning to feel ashamed to be a part of this site. To what end shall we pursue this? Will we have a political forum some day when political intolerance abounds? You can't please them all. You are a fool if you try to.

Best Regards,
    Omnislash
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:34
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    I am with you 100%. Personally, I think this is a very shallow attempt to appease a demographic whose arguements are asinine at best.

I don't mind if someone has a problem with my beliefs. I don't mind if someone takes offense by my religion. I don't mind that there are people who will cry foul at the slightest mention of anything spiritual. That's ...[text shortened]... please them all. You are a fool if you try to.

Best Regards,
    Omnislash
    Thank you for your wise remarks. I was seriously worried that nobody felt as I did about this.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:35
    My views on this are well known.

It's despicable and an affront to the tolerance the non-theists so fervently promote.
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:50
    I'm still mulling it over.
    It's nice not being threatened with hellfire or told to go read a book however ...
  10. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 23:53
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I'm still mulling it over.
    It's nice not being threatened with hellfire or told to go read a book however ...
    A rule against the hijacking of threads would have been less offnsive then this.

Nyxie
  11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 00:022 edits
    These discussions are moderated, we dislike flame wars and do what we feel necessary to prevent them. In the interest of keeping things civil, we ask that you not debate political or religious issues here, as in our experience, such unresolvable debates almost always turn into flame wars.
    This is the stance another forum takes on this issue and this has always been my advice to the admins with regards with how to deal with the issue of religious discussions. It's a no win situation and it has been the downfall of many other site forums, Gameknot to name but one, but you insist on going down this path (notably its the Forum Wars mob who are the most vocal in this matter) then you'll reap what you sow.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 00:04
    Originally posted by Exy
    (notably its the Forum Wars mob who are the most vocal in this matter)
    So far, only Nyxie and I have spoken even a word of dissent here. I guess we are a mob of two.
  13. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 00:07
    Has Kirk fallen fowl of your rabble then? 😉
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 00:09
    Originally posted by Exy
    Has Kirk fallen fowl of your rabble then? 😉
    I don't understand the question.
  15. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    I am sad to say it, but I am beginning to feel ashamed to be a part of this site. To what end shall we pursue this? Will we have a political forum some day when political intolerance abounds? You can't please them all. You are a fool if you try to.
    How about let's just keep it focused on CHESS then instead. How about that for a solution?

You wanna talk religion and politics without restriction there are countless other places to do it without feeling the need to steer this community off in that direction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree