King's Gambit and Grob Busted!

King's Gambit and Grob Busted!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
29 Apr 07

The King's Gambit and the Grob Busted? Yes. A certain Bobby Fischer announced in the summer of 1961 exactly that the King's Gambit was busted. The article and the 1961 article are here -> http://www.chesscafe.com/text/bust.txt

As to how the grob was busted I'm tired and will post that tomorrow. Those of you newbies who have to face the grob/king's gambit can now sleep well at night.

STS

Moves
29 Apr 07
4 edits

Fischer wrote that article in a fit of pique after being BEATEN by the King's Gambit in a tournament, he never refuted anything. After it was printed, the KG did fall out of favor, strangely, even though it was written about a game he lost . He did yammer on about all the great moves he could of made, but it was just a bunch of sour grapes that did a disservice to a great opening.
I thought everybody knew about that weird article.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by z00t
The King's Gambit and the Grob Busted? Yes. A certain Bobby Fischer announced in the summer of 1961 exactly that the King's Gambit was busted. The article and the 1961 article are here -> http://www.chesscafe.com/text/bust.txt

As to how the grob was busted I'm tired and will post that tomorrow. Those of you newbies who have to face the grob/king's gambit can now sleep well at night.
We are living in 2007 and this gambit is still unrefuted 😀

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
29 Apr 07
1 edit

Busted? My results on RHP

Kings Gambit P117 W97 L10 D10
Grob P64 W60 D3 L1

QED.

Edit:
Grob P65 W61 D3 L1

Z8

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

Grob P64 W60 D3 L1

QED.

Edit:
Grob P65 W61 D3 L1
"and I only play the Grob when I know I can win it (ie I select my opponents very carefully)."

Hmmm, I wonder who said that? 🙂

S

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Zander 88
"and I only play the Grob when I know I can win it (ie I select my opponents very carefully)."

Hmmm, I wonder who said that? 🙂
I think most of DF's Grob games are a bit like a competitive dad blasting penalty after penalty past his hapless 4 year-old son:'(

ST

Moves
30 Apr 07
2 edits

My understanding of current theoretical opinion is that Fischer's Defence is safe, but among the more passive replies to the Kings Gambit.

Chess practice since the time Fischer was active has shown the immaturity of his claims, since I believe it was ridiculous to suggest that he had found a refutation to every possible white idea in a few weeks analysis. 60 Memorable Games indicates that it was his loss to Spassky's KG (Mar del Plata 1960) that drove his search for a refutation. I wonder if the truth about that was simply that he was not as familiar in that opening and the resulting positions as he was in his more favoured Sicilian.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
30 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
I think most of DF's Grob games are a bit like a competitive dad blasting penalty after penalty past his hapless 4 year-old son:'(
Have you at last sussed out my winning strategy, that I only play the Grob against weaker opposition and reserve my serious openings such as the Morra and Kings gambits for more serious opposition.

I suppose this must be true as 10X I have been beaten with the Kings Gambit and only once with the Grob. Either that or the Grob is better than the Kings gambit.

Edit: With the Morra Gambit my results are a disaster P61 W 40 L9 D12 - I must find something that gets better results than that against 1. ... c5.

R

Moves
30 Apr 07
1 edit

Have you at last sussed out my winning strategy, that I only play the Grob against weaker opposition and reserve my serious openings such as the Morra and Kings gambits for more serious opposition.

I suppose this must be true as 10X I have been beaten with the Kings Gambit and only once with the Grob. Either that or the Grob [b]is better than
the ...[text shortened]... er P61 W 40 L9 D12 - I must find something that gets better results than that against 1. ... c5.[/b]
Why not just play the mainline Open Sicilian?

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
30 Apr 07

The main point of d6 is to prevent white from moving his knight to e5...however lately there is no need to worry about that knight..at least at grandmaster level

m

Moves
30 Apr 07

Don't underestimate the Grob. I have used it against players all the way up to master in both postal and otb. The only game I’ve lost with it was to a former Canadian provincial champion rated over 2200. I’m currently playing a postal game against an 1840 where I used the Grob. He made a snide remark at the start of the game asking, “Did you play this against (the 2270 rated player)?” He underestimated White's attacking chances from the beginning and tried to weasle out with a draw offer. I expect him to resign shortly.

d

Moves
30 Apr 07

Grob P64 W60 D3 L1

QED.

Edit:
Grob P65 W61 D3 L1
your results on RHP doesn't have the slightest significance in any kind of assessement about anything related to chess.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by diskamyl
your results on RHP doesn't have the slightest significance in any kind of assessement about anything related to chess.
at least he's got results.

S

Moves
30 Apr 07
3 edits

King's gambit is ok I suppose...
P=28
W=20
D=3
L=5
eg Game 3481993

But the Morra gambit is well & truly busted:
P=19
W=15
D=1
L=3
eg Game 3465973

d

Moves
30 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
at least he's got results.
the more you diverge from perfection, the less effect of the opening you choose makes on the result of the game.

and I hate the arrogance walking around showing everyone those results which were all against weak opponents. in the only game he played that opening to a strong player, he lost. and there he says the opening didn't make the difference. oh, yeah.

even Fischer's loss against, let's say, spassky would be something to consider, since their middlegame and endgame are close (and only close) to perfection, but not would be enough to come to a conclusion.