Yea or nay and why?
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:391 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yea or nay and why?
    You are lucky I'm still awake 🙂

No, because he never claimed to be divine, and he said that the father is the only true GOD in John 17:3
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:45
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    You are lucky I'm still awake 🙂

No, because he never claimed to be divine, and he said that the father is the only true GOD in John 17:3
    John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

So eternal life requires knowing the Father and the Son? Interesting.
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:531 edit
    John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

What does the "know thee the only true God" tell you?

If Jesus is divine, why did he call the father the only true GOD. He is excluding himself from divin equation.

Don't you agree?

EDIT: Of course at the time of jesus to gain the eternal life you have to believe in Jesus as well. But what to believe? Jesus said it, " whom thou hast sent". It is to believe of him as sent from the only true GOD, the father.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:541 edit
    Yea or nay and why?
    Don't know and don't know if it's at all important. Seems to me that what Jesus saw as imperative was for us to overcome sin and live a life of love, compassion, justice, etc. I wish more would truly follow Him. It would be a much different world.
  6. Standard memberStregone
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:01
    Yea or nay and why?
    jesus is NOT the messiah. therefore, he's not divine...therefore he's not the friggin' (overrated) "son of god." Who cares? get over it!
  7. Standard memberStregone
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:03

here's the problem: quoting the Bible as an infallible, unerroring source. it's not! it's full of errors and contradictions!
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:07
    Originally posted by Stregone
    here's the problem: quoting the Bible as an infallible, unerroring source. it's not! it's full of errors and contradictions!
    im sure a book that long written by mortals would have errors 😕
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:19
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    What does the "know thee the only true God" tell you?
    The concept of the Trinity in no way denies that there is only one God. In fact, Christ said that if you have seen me you have seen the Father and that they were One even though Christ talked about the Father at times as if they were seperate entities.

Edit: Has any of the other prophet made such a claim as Christ? For example, did Moses say that you must know me to inherit eternal life? Did Isaiah? How about Jeremiah? No, I don't recall such a claim from any other prophet.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:25
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    im sure a book that long written by mortals would have errors 😕
    You mean like the mortals reading it? 😛

You see that there are 4 gospels. Why? I say that it is because there was to be left NO doubt as to the validity of what was being told because perhaps the authors were prone to "errors" despite being inspired by God to write the accounts. In fact, the entire NT is centered around Christ. Why? Most of the books in the NT refer to Christ as the one who died and rose again and who is the resurrection and the life. So such consistent and repeated claims made by vairous authors throughout a wide range of time MUST say something about the validity of what is attempted to be conveyed.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:28
    Yea or nay and why?
    Well, I would say that the answer to this is a matter of faith. I would suppose that the majority of
    the world would say 'No,' because they disbelieve in Creedal Christianity. I would suppose that most,
    but not all, Christians would say, 'Yes,' because they've adopted the tenets of the Apostles' Creed as
    articles of faith. The reason I say not all is because the assertion is not substantiated from purely
    a Scriptural basis. Naturally, the Creedal assertions are not directly contradicted by Scripture, but
    one need not be a follower of the Creed in order to be a Scripture-centered Christian. If I recall correctly,
    CheckBaiter is one such Christian who does not believe in the Divinity of Christ.

There is no way to 'prove' it one way or the other. We don't have Jesus' body or video evidence of
    His Resurrection and/or Assumption or anything objective to offer skeptics and believers alike. All
    we have is the Bible -- that is, a testimony of faith -- and the writings of the Christians which resulted
    from that.

It wasn't clear to me if the intent of this thread was to initiate a discussion about the Bible's support
    or non-support of Jesus' divinity, so I didn't want to interject with such material for fear of derailing
    the thread's purpose. If that was the thread's purpose, then let me know, and we can examine the
    Christian Scriptures.

Nemesio
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Don't know and don't know if it's at all important. Seems to me that what Jesus saw as imperative was for us to overcome sin and live a life of love, compassion, justice, etc. I wish more would truly follow Him. It would be a much different world.
    Do I understand you correctly that you feel that His divinity (or lack thereof) is inessential to
    Christian faith and the resultant duties that being a Christian demands?

Nemesio
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:33
    The concept of the Trinity in no way denies that there is only one God. In fact, Christ said that if you have seen me you have seen the Father and that they were One even though Christ talked about the Father at times as if they were seperate entities.

Edit: Has any of the other prophet made such a claim as Christ? For example, did Moses say that you mus ...[text shortened]... ife? Did Isaiah? How about Jeremiah? No, I don't recall such a claim from any other prophet.
    Speaking of prophets, how about Isaiah?

Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder; and his name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, the Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace"

How can God be born?

You see, you do not only have a variety of NT authors who are "fallible" but inspired, but you also have OT writers who refer to him as well. So how many "fallible" authors does it take to agree on a truth that turns it into a great likelyhood?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:36
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Well, I would say that the answer to this is a matter of faith. I would suppose that the majority of
    the world would say 'No,' because they disbelieve in Creedal Christianity. I would suppose that most,
    but not all, Christians would say, 'Yes,' because they've adopted the tenets of the Apostles' Creed as
    articles of faith. The reason I say not all is b ...[text shortened]... pose, then let me know, and we can examine the
    Christian Scriptures.

Nemesio
    Throw out the Creed if you like and simply study the same scriptures those that made the Creed had to work with.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:38
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Do I understand you correctly that you feel that His divinity (or lack thereof) is inessential to
    Christian faith and the resultant duties that being a Christian demands?

Nemesio
    It was not my intent to adress this issue in this thread. If you would like to adress it, however, please feel free to start another. You know, no one like to be hijacked. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree