1. Joined
    20 Jul '11
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 17:44
    Have the mods ever considered setting up a few fake accounts, and then, with the aid of a high-end PC and the latest copy of Fritz, using them only to randomly challenge high end players who are suspected of machine cheating?

I'm quite sure a high spec machine would be, as Kasparov showed us in the 1990s, unbeatable to almost all humans.

Therefore, the only people to defeat these 'ghost' accounts, would be the ones using machines themselves... Not foolproof, but surely quicker than the current way of comparing machine moves to potential cheat moves.
  2. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 17:57
    There's absolutely no point to all this.

There was a perfectly good system in place for finding blatant cheats but alas, the people applying it had little or no support.
  3. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:29
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    There's absolutely no point to all this.

There was a perfectly good system in place for finding blatant cheats but alas, the people applying it had little or no support.
    do you mean the top-3-match system or whatever it is called (because it does help against some cheats)? i would think that a decent programmer could build a script or two in a couple of days (if at all) into which one simply puts a pgn and gets the numbers out... wondering actually, why that isn't implemented.
  4. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:35
    Yes - and the program already exists.
    It has an in-built multi-million game database from which it excludes analysis.
    Here's a screen capture from my pc:

http://imageshack.us/f/251/batchanalyzer.png/
  5. Standard memberDerJager
    The Hunter
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:51
    I would also think you would have difficulty getting these 'good' players to play the ghost accounts. I, even with my current ranking (not that good), typically won't play provisionally ranked players or players with little history. I would think they would have more reasons to do that then myself. So, to correctly cover you would have to create accounts with histories. I can see issues with this.
  6. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:54
    Originally posted by DR85
    Have the mods ever considered setting up a few fake accounts, and then, with the aid of a high-end PC and the latest copy of Fritz, using them only to randomly challenge high end players who are suspected of machine cheating?

I'm quite sure a high spec machine would be, as Kasparov showed us in the 1990s, unbeatable to almost all humans.

Therefore, the o ...[text shortened]... but surely quicker than the current way of comparing machine moves to potential cheat moves.
    maybe they already have
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:55
    Originally posted by roma45
    maybe they already have
    Show me the bannings then!!
  8. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 18:59
    maybe they already have
    Why bother ? There's no shortage of games to analyse.
  9. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:00
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Show me the bannings then!!
    they dont show bannings anymore, send feedback if you dont believe me, i have in the past and admin say they dont do it, it would be interesting to see how many have been banned here, wether its computor help, multi accounts or abuse in the threads
  10. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:082 edits
    Originally posted by DerJager
    So, to correctly cover you would have to create accounts with histories. I can see issues with this.
    Can you? 😉
  11. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:13
    Yes - and the program already exists.
    It has an in-built multi-million game database from which it excludes analysis.
    Here's a screen capture from my pc:

http://imageshack.us/f/251/batchanalyzer.png/
    But then I dont understand why the mods don't make use of it? Is it too expensive to buy? One could surely make it run analysis around the clock and just start looking at the results of it. Of course the danger is to ban an honest player, once that happens... on the other hand: each system which has judges, police and lawyers also puts unguilty people to jail. They try to minimize this, naturally, but it is believed by most law-people that a society has to accept a certain level of falsely imprisoned, too. But maybe this way of thinking would bust the philosphy of a paying-dependent site...
  12. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:20
    they dont show bannings anymore, send feedback if you dont believe me, i have in the past and admin say they dont do it, it would be interesting to see how many have been banned here, wether its computor help, multi accounts or abuse in the threads
    I know the site maintained list has gone but you can still see some bannings if you google Red Hot Pawn chess player profile player banned from site. I think the most recent that such a search reveals is ten months ago. Are you saying they have stopped showing it in profiles now?

Most are saying it is just not happening at all which is why there are the hints, asides and innuendo.
  13. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:25
    One of the former game Mods is the author of the program. It was used freely by all game Mods.
    The issue with banning obvious cheats wasn't one of lack of tools or ability to implement them correctly by the Mods. Unfortunately the problem lies elsewhere.
  14. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 19:301 edit
    One of the former game Mods is the author of the program. It was used freely by all game Mods.
    The issue with banning obvious cheats wasn't one of lack of tools or ability to implement them correctly by the Mods. Unfortunately the problem lies elsewhere.
    i assume - and you dont have to answer this, because you might know things you are not allowed to say - that it is purely money related. many of the blatant cheats are paying money and too many are non-sub, not supporting the site (skeeter has a neat term for them). and i guess the hope that 'once many cheaters get banned directly' 'a fresh flood of new subscribers arrives' is too optimistic...
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 20:18
    Who is the author?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree