1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 00:34
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Aha! Its the devil when that happens is it not? Those two movers to seal up a position with a knight like that - horribly difficult to find. It makes me think puzzle composers should make "find the right defense" type puzzles with this type of design.

Q
    I think playing on this site has dramatically improved my ability to negotiate "two-movers", and it is helping my OTB game, although my last tournament still had me missing things I would have caught if I were playing the games here where my time is in days instead of minutes.

I think I may have subconsciously let my opponent's rating get the better of me as well. I shouldn't play with that mindset, but sometimes it's a practical decision to save time and energy to concentrate on other games.

I believe that one of the major but unappreciated differences between OTB and CC is that you play the OTB game in one sitting, whereas with a CC game you could play for weeks or months with time and energy, and then have the game go south on you if your life has a change, or you get sick, or tired, or who knows what. Sometimes I think my profile graph is a biorhythm, or a metric for peak and trough tourism trends here in Orlando, as I work for Disney and I am certainly busier at some times of the year than I am in others. But I digress...
  2. Joined
    15 May '11
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 01:321 edit
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Game 8599309

Can someone explain to me why black resigned in this game?

[pgn][FEN "q7/6kp/3r4/B2R1pp1/3P3b/P4Q2/1P3PK1/7R b - - 0 1"]
    1... Rxd5 2.Bc3 2... g4 {This looks winning to me}[/pgn]

White must play 2.Rxh4, but then black has a fine game.
    I resigned because I considered my position lost.

48. Rxd5 was the logical next move. 49w. Bc3! I have lost the ability to control the past pawns and I felt that I would soon be forced to sacrifice a piece to stop their advance. g4 would have been my next move, but white could easily counter with Qe3. For those who don't catch it, Re5 is a poor choice because it is followed easily by d5 and my rook (black's) is pinned by the bishop on c3. My bishop was isolated too. I just felt my position was lost. I resigned because of sportsmanship. I do not like to count on draws or wins because of a blunder. A well played game deserves a hand shake and then a rematch. I certainly appreciate it when my opponents do not draw out the inevitable.

I examined some other lines, but none seemed feasible to me. Averell66 is a strong player and has an ICC ranking of 2450. So his current ranking does not do him justice at all. It was a good game. I will return the favor in our current game with me as white!

Can someone explain how I insert the board into a message. It could be a fascinating tool for analysis in a forum if I only knew how to do it. Thank you.
  3. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 02:38
    Originally posted by Kings and Pawns

Can someone explain how I insert the board into a message. It could be a fascinating tool for analysis in a forum if I only knew how to do it. Thank you.
    It's really easy.

[.pgn] Moves of the game here [/pgn]

Just remove the dot in the first pgn bracket.

You should post more in the chess forum, I would imagine that a player of your caliber would be a valuable asset to the community.
  4. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 03:211 edit
    I resigned because I considered my position lost.

48. Rxd5 was the logical next move. 49w. Bc3! I have lost the ability to control the past pawns and I felt that I would soon be forced to sacrifice a piece to stop their advance. g4 would have been my next move, but white could easily counter with Qe3. For those who don't catch it, Re5 is a poor c It could be a fascinating tool for analysis in a forum if I only knew how to do it. Thank you.
    Now I'm not trying to bite off more than I can chew (albeit a habit of mine!) but I am in a quandary with the proposed g4. I don't see its value. wQh5 in this position seems a bit scary - so yes I can see the worry...a bit. I would propose black play Qc6, her position is much more desirable there and if wQh5 it defends the backrank check fully allowing Kg8 and dismantling whites pin. I think this challenges white enough to make this position very playable.

Perhaps this is the difference between an upstart like me, and a FM. But just the same I leave this for your perusal:

Q
  5. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 05:09
    Now I'm not trying to bite off more than I can chew (albeit a habit of mine!) but I am in a quandary with the proposed g4. I don't see its value. wQh5 in this position seems a bit scary - so yes I can see the worry...a bit. I would propose black play Qc6, her position is much more desirable there and if wQh5 it defends the backrank check fully allowing Kg8 ...[text shortened]... erence between an upstart like me, and a FM. But just the same I leave this for your perusal
    Certainly playable for Black.
    You are correct, sir!
    (As Ed McMahon used to say.)
    But, who's the FM?? Not K&P. He is (they are) very adamant about not revealing any personal details. That's straight from the horse's mouth.
  6. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 05:27
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    Certainly playable for Black.
    You are correct, sir!
    (As Ed McMahon used to say.)
    But, who's the FM?? Not K&P. He is (they are) very adamant about not revealing any personal details. That's straight from the horse's mouth.
    I'd be shocked to find play of that quality from an untitled player - but I suppose its perfectly possible. I thought it was playable, and I personally would have gone that way...probably would have lost, as much as I love endings these boys are out of my pay grade.

Q
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 11:231 edit
    Averell66 is untitled. His FIDE rating was 2105 last time I looked. His "freestyle chess" (see http://www.freewebs.com/freestyle-chess) rating is around 2500 to 2600, which is higher than some GMs.
  8. In attack
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 13:022 edits
    Just to add to KnightStalker's instructions:

If you want to annotate within games you can do things like this:

[.pgn] 1.e4 {Kings pawn opening} c5 {Sicilian} [/pgn]

Which, when the dot is removed, turns out like this:

To annotate from a set position, then you put the FEN string in (I'm using the last game I finished without a checkmate)

[.pgn] [FEN "8/5k2/4p1p1/4P2p/1p1P4/4P3/P6P/1R4K1 b - - 1 35"] 1. Ke7 Rxb4 {and of course annotations for each move still work in this format} [/pgn]

And again, without the dot before the pgn:

A great feature of posting is the "Preview before post" button, that allows you to see how the board you are constructing looks like, before the world can see it on the forum. If that fails, there is always the "edit post" option 😉

I'm looking forward to seeing some annotated games, I find it brings games to life and are very educational 🙂

*** Edit: Forgot to say, the pgn's and FEN's of each game here are available by clicking on the "info" button next to the Game Log and analyze Board.
    I haven't worked out how to create a FEN from midway through a game yet, so if someone knows that little trick I'd be pleased to hear it
  9. The Hague
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 13:13
    Originally posted by morgski
    Just to add to KnightStalker's instructions:

If you want to annotate within games you can do things like this:

[.pgn] 1.e4 {Kings pawn opening} c5 {Sicilian} [/pgn]

Which, when the dot is removed, turns out like this:

[pgn] 1.e4 {Kings pawn opening} c5 {Sicilian} [/pgn]

To annotate from a set position, then you put the FEN string in (I'm using ...[text shortened]... ugh a game yet, so if someone knows that little trick I'd be pleased to hear it
    I think I haven't read it in these excellent posts yet, but one thing you should check if it says 'invalid PGN inserted', and that's that you shouldn't have it look sort of like this:
    1. e4 e5 2.
    c5
    where the move number and the moves themselves are on different lines, because you'll get this:

Instead of
  10. In attack
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 13:31
    ...of course, there is a quick way to edit and comment on boards that people are already discussing.

Just "reply and quote", cut and paste the pgn they have inserted from the quoted section into the bit above which is your post, and then edit to your heart's content...
  11. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:183 edits
    Originally posted by morgski
    I haven't worked out how to create a FEN from midway through a game yet, so if someone knows that little trick I'd be pleased to hear it
    FEN is based loosely on something called Forsyth notation.

The board is represented from left to right 8th rank first. the end of a rank is symbolized by a forward slash: /
    Black Pieces are represented by Lower Case letters p,n,b,r,q,k and Whites by Upper case letters P,N,B,R,Q,K.
    Unoccupied squares are counted consecutively left to right along the row and shown as a number of blank squares between the pieces. Thus if there was a white rook on b8 and a black king on g8 the FEN for the first row would look like:
    FEN 1 {first blank square a8} R {White rook on b8} 4 {followed by four empty squares c8, d8, e8, f8} k {followed by black king on g8} 1 {followed by empty h8} / {end of row} thus " 1R4k1/ "

Note all rows must "add up" to 8

The other rows are built similarly from 8th rank to 1st . Then five information marks can be placed to show whether white or black to move, which castling is legal in the position, any squares subject to en passant capture and number of moves since pawn move or piece capture. If not stated or available shown as " - "

This is covered in the FAQ here FAQ

so

and

The empty rows are shown as /8/ and the knights row is NnNnNnNn/ and the bishop row is bBbBbBbB/ and the final row is 3K4 no forward slash required.
  12. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Averell66 is untitled. His FIDE rating was 2105 last time I looked. His "freestyle chess" (see http://www.freewebs.com/freestyle-chess) rating is around 2500 to 2600, which is higher than some GMs.
    Then he would be a Master candidate waiting for a IM Norm then I assume? With play like this it would seem he's untitled only due to a lack of participation.

Q
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 23:39
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    FEN is based loosely on something called Forsyth notation.

The board is represented from left to right 8th rank first. the end of a rank is symbolized by a forward slash: /
    Black Pieces are represented by Lower Case letters p,n,b,r,q,k and Whites by Upper case letters P,N,B,R,Q,K.
    Of course, the easiest way to create a FEN is to insert your game into a PGN reader, play up to the point you want to copy (or set up the board as you want it), and then select the reader's "Copy to FEN" menu option. I know it exists in Chesspad (Position menu, Copy As, FEN - and Ctrl-D once you've chosen that as your preferred copy option), and I cannot imagine a serious chess program that doesn't have it.

Knowledge of how FEN and PGN work is, IME, more useful to debug broken ones than to create correct ones. The latter is best left to software, which is (mostly) guaranteed to get it right.

Richard
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 01:26
    Then he would be a Master candidate waiting for a IM Norm then I assume? With play like this it would seem he's untitled only due to a lack of participation.

Q
    2100 is only about half way to IM. 🙂
  15. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 01:57
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    2100 is only about half way to IM. 🙂
    True.

And someone who is 2100 in, say, their early or mid-20s is never going to make IM at 2400. Never? In a handful of very rare cases, maybe it has happned. But for 99.9% of 2100 players, IM will always be out of reach.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree