1. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 08:38
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    It is all getting murky.

I'll do my best to explain the history.

Someone noticed K & P's original profile picture appeared somewhere else.
    Big deal. Most of you are that ugly you never post your real picture.

So a few jokes were cracked.

Suddenly up pops this other lad whose profile stated he was off exploring
    Africa and had not moved for m ...[text shortened]... atter was dropped and we wish K & P
    all the best and good luck in his private battle ahead.
    k-and-b and the brazilian? huh! - make your self-more clear!!!
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 08:52
    Originally posted by tim88
    k-and-b and the brazilian? huh! - make your self-more clear!!!
    The thread is easy enough to find and should take you around 3 days to read.
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 10:02
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    Funny you should mention him. He was a member of the Pittsburgh CC, and once told me, when i was starting CC play, that a good CC player averages about 4 hours work on each move. "Patience" he said, "is most important."
    Great player! I average about 1 minute unless I'm really caffeinated
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 13:26
    Originally posted by DR85
    Dan - we all see where you're coming from, on the face of things, K&P is an extraordinary and intriguing entity and there are many possibilities and much room for conspiracy theory and even a little conjecture on all our parts.

Thing is friend, you've just told us all you're an MD of 37 years, and, although I for one am not doubting that -you're still a man ...[text shortened]... you're wrong, if merely for the fact you may end up feeling pretty bad about it.

Dan.
    I struggle to find what is remotely intriguing about K&P? Someone who takes so much effort to create a patently fake profile and climbs to the top of the player chart?
  5. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 13:55
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I ...... Someone .........
    One?
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 15:07
    Originally posted by jankrb
    One?
    of many, except for the exceptional efforts to maintain the false profile.
  7. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 16:22
    What Jan is saying is that it is possible that K&P is a team of players.
    A perfect way to get around the "engine checking" yet still play so many games and win constantly. Perhaps other profiles do the same. It's the choice of persona that offends me, playing on people's sympathy.
    And for what? Dominance on RHP? But then, some people waste years of their lives trying to dominate World of Warcraft. They can work as teams there, and are expected to have an 'Alter Ego'. So it may be that the WOW mindset has invaded internet chess. Would be a natural progression in the world today.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 16:52
    I can only say that you are semantically correct. But medically speaking, CLL remains always.
    And this is what gives you the right to insult the honesty of some poor layman who suffers from the disease and just happened to use a medical professional term not quite correctly?

Yeah, right. No wonder doctors do not get the respect they used to. They no longer deserve it.

Richard
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 17:46
    What Jan is saying is that it is possible that K&P is a team of players.
    A perfect way to get around the "engine checking" yet still play so many games and win constantly. Perhaps other profiles do the same. It's the choice of persona that offends me, playing on people's sympathy.
    And for what? Dominance on RHP? But then, some people waste years of the ...[text shortened]... WOW mindset has invaded internet chess. Would be a natural progression in the world today.
    Are you suggesting a team of players could score basically a perfect score vs 2000+ opposition in 48games over the last 90 days without the use of an engine? Consultation chess is usually limited to the strength and energy of the strongest player involved.

If it's a team using different engines, I would guess that their overall matchup rate would still be high enough to exceed thresholds for top 3-4 matchup rates.

Based on the top 20 though, I doubt that matters.
  10. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 23:24
    Yes, I am. With a group of relatively strong players the product of their work would exceed the product of the top individual. And, without any of them using computer assistance. This was the Soviet strength in the days of adjourned games before computer programs. They had more and better analyzers than the Western players!
    Also, a group effort could more quickly handle playing multiple games by dividing games among the members, and then concentrating on the difficult phases as they came up, together. I am postulating a group of 5 or 6 people. The difficulty lies in keeping them together and coordinating their efforts. That is why a college group is more likely. In the real world, maintaining such an effort would be very difficult. But, as I remember my school days, we were always looking for entertainment in our off-hours and did come up with some imaginative group endeavors!
  11. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 00:061 edit
    Yes, I am. With a group of relatively strong players the product of their work would exceed the product of the top individual. And, without any of them using computer assistance. This was the Soviet strength in the days of adjourned games before computer programs. They had more and better analyzers than the Western players!
    Also, a group effort could mor ...[text shortened]... ooking for entertainment in our off-hours and did come up with some imaginative group endeavors!
    If your time in college was like what your proposing, thenYour time in college sounds boring.
    We used to drink a lot of beer out on the back steps and porch. Occasionally we'd smoke some of that whacky tobaccy too. Typically there were quite a few pretty young women, and depending on the weather you could depend on anything from bad-mitten to volleyball in the back yard. There was always more hormones, and beer around then smarts. We had a garage that we had intended to work in. Eventually we put the old couch from the living room out in that garage next to the radio and a great big table. It was great during the bad weather, to sit drink and talk. We used to work on bicycles and things while the ladies would sit on the couch and drink our beer. We loved them for it. They came and drank our beer while we fixed their bikes, or less occasionally their car.
    Every weekend we'd have something silly going on. One special weekend comes to mind, when we all put up tents in the tiny yard out back and tried to go camping. Being smart college kids, we turned the heater off in the house - why pay electric while camping outside? To skip to the end of the story we locked ourselves outside and it snowed outside. The following morning we finally found a way inside and found our freezing house had the pipes burst. So we took the tents inside and camped in the living room for the rest of the weekend with the girls - while we fixed the damn pipes.

The things young men will do for a woman's attention. Its amazing. I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world.

Play chess on the computer?.. If you're right Mr. Dan, the youth have lost their way...

Q
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 01:45
    Kids are definitely not what they used to be.
    I intended to mention that I spent 3 1/2 years in the fraternity house. Therefore, the activities you described were a given. I was talking about the down time, when the kegs were empty and the dope was scarce. Women? Well, it was hard to get the coeds near our house. We had to dig them up from the local towns. Once I had to import my date, and my room mate's, from hometown Pittsburgh. Unfortunately the brothers found out which motel we'd stashed them in, and I was banned by the motel's owner for the duration of my college experience. I had never even made it to the room.
    But there was no internet, no electronic games, no TV's even, except in the rec room. So, we found other things to do. The last thing we wanted to do was study. The library was for meeting girls, not reading. Now, kids are constantly "plugged in". So, internet chess is not an inconceivable activity, in my view. Especially with the clamp down on alcohol.
  13. Joined
    09 Feb '12
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 03:06
    I plan to move more often that our beloved sagator...

too bad my opponents aren't co-operating.
  14. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 20:55
    Originally posted by HighTorque
    I plan to move more often that our beloved sagator...

too bad my opponents aren't co-operating.
    Show me the money... or show Russ the money. If you can overtake Sagator as a non-sub I'll eat my hat.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 21:04
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Show me the money... or show Russ the money. If you can overtake Sagator as a non-sub I'll eat my hat.
    I think it could be possible... you just resign when somebody stops moving and grab a new open invite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree