This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:07
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Liverpool also does D.Phil.s, there's a few of them. I think you're right about Cambridge.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:20

4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:42
    Apparently so, I don't know why I thought that. Wikipedia mentions the University of Buckingham.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:51

6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 02:15
    @humy said
    Then why did you assert time dilation is gravity without specifying that time dilation has to come from something other than relative velocity for that to be true?
    I naturally take it you didn't know about time dilation in special relativity.
    And what about time dilation that is part from gravity and part from relative velocity? Would time dilation equal gravity there or not? ...[text shortened]... velocity or gravity nor can you see which and then you are asked if time dilation is gravity there?
    I explained this before. I used to say time dilation causes gravity. You pointed out they are the same thing in loose terms. You were right, they meet the same definition. That is why I changed to time dilation is gravity. Now that you and others are deliberately obfuscating by digressing into velocity time dilation I have gone back to time dilation causes gravity.

There isn't really a cause, but how else can I keep you and others from obfuscating? The irony is that this is all based on you being right for once, but now you are attacking the one point you won thereby undercutting your rare victory.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 06:043 edits
    @metal-brain said
    I used to say time dilation causes gravity. You pointed out they are the same thing
    NO, I didn't.
    And, because of our knowledge of special relativity, I and some other experts here correctly don't believe they are.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 06:16
    @humy said
    NO, I didn't.
    And, because of our knowledge of special relativity, I and some other experts here correctly don't believe they are.
    Yes, you did. I think it was on the gravity thread. You may not have realized it though. It was more like you did it unwittingly.

SR has nothing to do with gravity. The experts know that is a digression tactic without merit.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 07:061 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Yes, you did. I think it was on the gravity thread.
    Where in that (or in any other) thread did I say/imply time dilation causes gravity? Quote what I said.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 07:13
    @humy said
    Where in that (or in any other) thread did I say/imply time dilation causes gravity? Quote what I said.
    Look for it yourself. I posted the link on this thread at some point.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 07:38
    @metal-brain said
    Look for it yourself.
    I did. I cannot find it and don't think it exists.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 08:14
    @humy said
    I did. I cannot find it and don't think it exists.
    You didn't try very hard then.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 10:461 edit
    @metal-brain said
    You didn't try very hard then.
    I didn't try hard wasting my time trying to find what I know doesn't exist?
    Sorry, not fooled; I know you just want to waste my time as usual but I want.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 10:50
    Well, I based that statement on the footnotes to the Wikipedia page on Ph.D.s, so if you think it's wrong you can edit the page. Where's all this going, it seems a little obscure?

As an aside, Ph.D. stands for Philosophiae Doctor and is Latin, D. Phil. stands for Doctor of Philosophy and is English. So Oxford is being more straightforward and down to Earth than practically everyone else.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 12:55
    @humy said
    I didn't try hard wasting my time trying to find what I know doesn't exist?
    Sorry, not fooled; I know you just want to waste my time as usual but I want.
    Finding it for you would be a waste of my time. We are not friends. Find it yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree