1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 May '08 20:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Those asholes who try to derail real science in a classroom should be
    arrested and tried for treason or something.
    I'm a bit ashamed you're an American as well. While I'm sympathetic to your views about creationism vs. evolution, I would think that after the abuse you suffered at the hands of your idiot totalitarian teacher, you would be less of a totalitarian yourself.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 May '08 21:41
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I'm a bit ashamed you're an American as well. While I'm sympathetic to your views about creationism vs. evolution, I would think that after the abuse you suffered at the hands of your idiot totalitarian teacher, you would be less of a totalitarian yourself.
    I don't pretend to speak for sonhouse, but I suspect he might have been exagerrating what he would suggest be done to these teachers.

I do think they should be reprimanded and made to do their job - which is to teach the approved curriculum (i.e. science, not religion).
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '08 22:46
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I don't pretend to speak for sonhouse, but I suspect he might have been exagerrating what he would suggest be done to these teachers.

I do think they should be reprimanded and made to do their job - which is to teach the approved curriculum (i.e. science, not religion).
    That's why I said 'or something'. I didn't really mean to suggest they were treasonous, they just have their own agenda which conflicts with the education of science students.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 May '08 02:58

Perhaps you're right. Bullies use a lot of hyperbole and grandiose gestures when dealing with others.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:23
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Perhaps you're right. Bullies use a lot of hyperbole and grandiose gestures when dealing with others.
    So it's fair to say you approve of science teachers with an anti-science agenda? Oh, forgot, you don't talk to bullies. I already said I made a mistake about putting you in the creationist camp and I apologized but I guess you don't do forgiveness like your religion calls for, which, btw, I know all about lutheranism, I had it up close and personal with a three foot whip.
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:31
    So it's fair to say you approve of science teachers with an anti-science agenda? Oh, forgot, you don't talk to bullies. I already said I made a mistake about putting you in the creationist camp and I apologized but I guess you don't do forgiveness like your religion calls for, which, btw, I know all about lutheranism, I had it up close and personal with a three foot whip.
    I accepted your apology regarding my being a creationist. That however was not the only thread you found it necessary to insult, harangue, and bully me around. As for Lutherans and whips, I don't know what you are talking about--I'm a Methodist, though that shouldn't matter.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:45
    Do you think it's better for him to "bully" or insult you or for you to be doing kinda the same thing through these somewhat passive aggressive posts?

I also believe you're misrepresenting what I am actually suggesting in order to pass on your insult.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:50
    I accepted your apology regarding my being a creationist. That however was not the only thread you found it necessary to insult, harangue, and bully me around. As for Lutherans and whips, I don't know what you are talking about--I'm a Methodist, though that shouldn't matter.
    I thought I read you had been a lutheran at one point. But you didn't answer my question, do you think it's ok for there to be science teachers with an anti-science agenda?
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:53
    Do you think it's better for him to "bully" or insult you or for you to be doing kinda the same thing through these somewhat passive aggressive posts?

I also believe you're misrepresenting what I am actually suggesting in order to pass on your insult.
    A. I am in no way "doing the same to him." He was correct--I have a policy to ignore bullies. But he DID apologize for one of his offenses, so I broke silence long enough to answer him. If it offends you for me to use reply&quote when making a point that has your name on the "originally posted by" line, I will respect your wishes and just use "reply", no quote. He's a fairly intelligent bully, so I think he;ll figure it out.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 May '08 03:58
    I thought I read you had been a lutheran at one point. But you didn't answer my question, do you think it's ok for there to be science teachers with an anti-science agenda?
    Certainly not. That would be like putting an atheist in the pulpit of First Baptist Church. Science teachers who can't stick to the curriculum do their students a great disservice--especially those preparing to go on to higher education. They are actually a danger to those kids' futures.

I still don't talk to bullies so, comm channel closed😛
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '08 04:53
    Certainly not. That would be like putting an atheist in the pulpit of First Baptist Church. Science teachers who can't stick to the curriculum do their students a great disservice--especially those preparing to go on to higher education. They are actually a danger to those kids' futures.

I still don't talk to bullies so, comm channel closed😛
    So I guess this means I can't marry your daughter?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 May '08 07:20
    Originally posted by telerion
    Maybe in your field. In mine however 'those that can do' work at research universities and are forced to teach, while 'those that can't' work for the private sector or the gov't and do trivial analysis that people around them think is hard. Of course this isn't true for everybody. Some capable people just don't want to do research*. Overall though, th ...[text shortened]... onal intelligence looking for some one other than himself to blame for his failures.
    Where I come from (Zambia) teaching is not a well paid job - even at university level. So there are two types of teachers - those that love teaching and are willing to take a pay cut to do it and those that cant get a better job.

I think thought that the phrase applies more to the lower school levels and less to university level.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 May '08 07:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Where I come from (Zambia) teaching is not a well paid job - even at university level. So there are two types of teachers - those that love teaching and are willing to take a pay cut to do it and those that cant get a better job.

I think thought that the phrase applies more to the lower school levels and less to university level.
    At university level, the onus is entirely on research. Teaching is a chore. I guess, the main thing for most academics is time - time spent preparing lessons is time diverted from their research. However, this approach, whilst dictated by the funding systems in science, is rather shortsighted, since it is important to teach, and to teach well.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 May '08 08:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's right. Those creeping Darwinists. They'll sandbag you in an alley and turn you into Piltdown Man, just to prop up their bankrupt, dogmatic, inflexible beliefs.
    Darwinists?

Those Newtonists are even worse!

"Laws of Motion" indeed. They should now that the True Laws are divine - trying to put them into equations is sacrilege and blasphemy.

And what with this "Gravity" ? Those Newtonists believe that the it is natural to fall? I guess they are running around in the streets shoving people to the ground all day.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 May '08 08:10
    In Zambia the real problem is not so much poor teachers (though that is a problem) but simply lack of schools (and thus teachers).
    I don't know the exact figures, but less than half of all children don't go beyond Grade 7, and only about 1% make it to university.
    I strongly believe that the Government is not spending enough on education and think the same applies to nearly every country in the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree