1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 08:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I feel ashamed to be an american
    You shouldn't be ashamed of being an American. You can't help of what the politicians decide, what the schoolboard decide, nor what the teachers do. You have no responsibility in this. As long you do what you can to prevent the bad situation, you can be free of guilt.

And I think you do pretty well. You bring up the issue, and let people know, bring it up to debate, therefore you actually do what you can at your level of influence. Well done!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '08 08:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You shouldn't be ashamed of being an American. You can't help of what the politicians decide, what the schoolboard decide, nor what the teachers do. You have no responsibility in this. As long you do what you can to prevent the bad situation, you can be free of guilt.

And I think you do pretty well. You bring up the issue, and let people know, bring it up to debate, therefore you actually do what you can at your level of influence. Well done!
    Hey. thanks for the vote of confidence, after all the bad press I've been getting....
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 May '08 08:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey. thanks for the vote of confidence, after all the bad press I've been getting....
    I think you tend to try to educate people here, often in spite of themselves. Chin up old boy - I know it can be hard sometimes - people around here are often quick to call others names, whether justifiably or not.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '08 09:21
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I think you tend to try to educate people here, often in spite of themselves. Chin up old boy - I know it can be hard sometimes - people around here are often quick to call others names, whether justifiably or not.
    Thanks!
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 12:44
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    A. I am in no way "doing the same to him." He was correct--I have a policy to ignore bullies. But he DID apologize for one of his offenses, so I broke silence long enough to answer him. If it offends you for me to use reply&quote when making a point that has your name on the "originally posted by" line, I will respect your wishes and just use "reply", no quote. He's a fairly intelligent bully, so I think he;ll figure it out.
    You don't think calling him a bully is an insult?

I don't care if you use the reply & quote to respond to me, just don't use it to misrepresent what I say and use that to insult others.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:27
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    What level is that at?

You should try saying some think like "now, the earth revolving around the sun is just what the scientists think, you can believe what you want..." just to see if she agrees with it too.
    7th-8th grade.

No, I am not going to be making my immediate superior look bad.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:282 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you know why people don't want the job? I thought it was due to low salaries but your paycheck comment makes me think otherwise.
    In Zambia, its a money issue. If you have the skills to be a good science teacher then you can make more doing something else. The same applies to most subjects. I was lucky that I went to a Catholic run school where most of ...[text shortened]... were there for the money were lousy teachers).
    'Those that can do, those that can't teach.'
    1) They don't want to get a science degree
    2) They don't want to jump through the hoops necessary for teacher credential
    3) They don't want to work in CRIP-land with inner city black kids

I'm being cocky about the paycheck. I'm going to take what I'm given and like it...for now. However I've already been offered a job at a competitor, and the job I have has offered to pay for my grad school.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you know why people don't want the job? I thought it was due to low salaries but your paycheck comment makes me think otherwise.
    In Zambia, its a money issue. If you have the skills to be a good science teacher then you can make more doing something else. The same applies to most subjects. I was lucky that I went to a Catholic run school where most of ...[text shortened]... were there for the money were lousy teachers).
    those that were there for the money were lousy teachers).

Considering we're in a recession, yet education's expanding; the Baby Boomers are retiring and their employers won't be able to replace them with skilled employees to the point that training programs for illegals are popping up everywhere (I think I read this somewhere)...

Those who can't do are a lot more common than you'd think. If they could do, we wouldn't be having these problems with the economy, because we'd have financially competent people for a citizenry.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:34
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    That's not like you DSR, you normally provide us with a link to credible research for your opposing point of view.

Not that I'm sure what your point of view is yet.
    Do you disagree with the theory of evolution, or just taking it dogmatically?
    It's gotta be a joke. He's a right wing wacko but I never thought he was a religious right kinda guy.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's right. Those creeping Darwinists. They'll sandbag you in an alley and turn you into Piltdown Man, just to prop up their bankrupt, dogmatic, inflexible beliefs.
    Did you know Darwin spent some time with an Egyptian "mummy making" gang?
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 May '08 14:36
    Originally posted by Retrovirus
    Darwinists?

Those Newtonists are even worse!

"Laws of Motion" indeed. They should now that the True Laws are divine - trying to put them into equations is sacrilege and blasphemy.

And what with this "Gravity" ? Those Newtonists believe that the it is natural to fall? I guess they are running around in the streets shoving people to the ground all day.
    You got a chuckle with that last line 🙂
  12. Standard memberthyme
    Undutchable
    was here
    Moves
    23 May '08 15:262 edits
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Hardly surprising that 40% of Americans do not believe in our evolutionary origins then if the problem is that wide spread in the schools (another NS report from a few weeks back, although Turkey was higher at 50😵.

Very scary stuff indeed when schools can get away with teaching lies, it should not be allowed to happen in ANY subject. The future of ou ...[text shortened]... upon our knowledge, ingenuity and progress. None of this can happen with lies and bad teaching.
    My mother was a teacher in the school I went to, (not in the US but just to give you an alternative view). One of the other teachers was instructing her class - in which i was in - to glue together the pages of our biology book that treated evolution. She said they were all lies, God created the world in 6 days, 2000 years ago. My mother objected and was fired.

This is not the policy of majority of schools here, I have no idea what percentage of Christian schools are this dogmatic but it can't be more than 5-10%. It just happened to be the one across the road from us.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 15:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    7th-8th grade.

No, I am not going to be making my immediate superior look bad.
    I remember really liking those grades and those were the first real science classes I had. Those classes actually didn't handle biology really at all, just chemistry and physics really.

I figured you wouldn't and you shouldn't, but as someone who wouldn't lose anything from it, I think it would be funny.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 May '08 16:31
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You don't think calling him a bully is an insult?

I don't care if you use the reply & quote to respond to me, just don't use it to misrepresent what I say and use that to insult others.
    Calling something what it is is not an insult--it's a definition. I don't call him a moron, idiot, or imbecile because I don't know his IQ. I DO know how he treats others on these sites. Since we disagree on basic definitions, I'll refrain from reply&quote on anything you post. It's the courteous thing to do.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 17:02
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Calling something what it is is not an insult--it's a definition. I don't call him a moron, idiot, or imbecile because I don't know his IQ. I DO know how he treats others on these sites. Since we disagree on basic definitions, I'll refrain from reply"e on anything you post. It's the courteous thing to do.
    Whatever you want.

I will still complain about you misrepresenting what I say even if it's outside of a reply with a quote though. Doing it without quoting me doesn't change what you're doing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree