I feel ashamed to be an american:

I feel ashamed to be an american:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
04 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
How come the guy was able to do this?
Because he was breaking many of the good practice guidelines that the English industry bodies had suggested. As the government has no such laws regulating the business, no-one could step in when he was running the business into the ground, losing hundreds of millions of customer's hard earned yen.

From reading the auditors responsible for the bankruptcy proceedings, it seems Sahashi was siphoning the money off into a host of bogus companies of his own invention. Shortly before the bankruptcy he sold the vast majority of his shares without going through proper disclosure. He had taken his money (our money) and was preparing to run.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by scottishinnz
You're 66?!!! I always thought you too bu much younger. You have a very young persona! 😉

No, the never caught my former boss, Mr Saruhashi (Monkey-bridge, in Japanese). He really had a lot of gaul before the company went down, blaming the instructors for its demise, whilst drawing a 300 million yen per year (about $3M US) salary, and billing the ...[text shortened]... ing everyone else for it. Hopefully, at least you still have your house, which is something.
I am just a naturally curious person I guess. So the guy got away with it, just skirting the law? So he is basking on a beach in Tahiti with the company money?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Because he was breaking many of the good practice guidelines that the English industry bodies had suggested. As the government has no such laws regulating the business, no-one could step in when he was running the business into the ground, losing hundreds of millions of customer's hard earned yen.

From reading the auditors responsible for the bankru ...[text shortened]... going through proper disclosure. He had taken his money (our money) and was preparing to run.
Siphoning money is theft, which in an ideal society is illegal, even to a Libertarian like me. If this was not punished then the government needs to get it's act together.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
05 Jun 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
I am just a naturally curious person I guess. So the guy got away with it, just skirting the law? So he is basking on a beach in Tahiti with the company money?
I don't think anyone acually knows where Sahashi actually is, though I suspect the Cayman Islands. There are certainly criminal charges to follow, but they'll only apply if he ever comes back to Japan.

STS

Moves
05 Jun 08
1 edit

Man, there is like no competition out there for my job. I'm going to be a science teacher in the fall. I'll be able to write my own paycheck.

The science teacher I'm working under is an Econ major with a Bio minor. She keeps telling the students "now, evolution is just what the scientists think happened, you can believe what you want, even I have my doubts."
?? I wasn't aware school districts had different payscales for middle and high school level teachers according to the subjects they taught.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
06 Jun 08

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
?? I wasn't aware school districts had different payscales for middle and high school level teachers according to the subjects they taught.
That's why they invented charter schools.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08

That's why they invented charter schools.
I thought charter schools were for students that have been kicked out of main stream public schools. That's what they are in Arizona, at least.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
06 Jun 08
2 edits

I thought charter schools were for students that have been kicked out of main stream public schools. That's what they are in Arizona, at least.
That might be true sometimes, but we are allowed to boot students out the door almost at will, which regular schools cannot do. They are schools that are freed from traditional rules and regulations and so can do things the way the Principal thinks best. Take a look at these links. The first is a New York school, the second is in my area in Southern CA. Both promise higher pay than what teachers typically get.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/nyregion/07charter.html?ex=1362632400&en=c61f5ddd3e93fa42&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

http://www.greendotpublicschools.org/node/7/

P

weedhopper

Moves
06 Jun 08

That might be true sometimes, but we are allowed to boot students out the door almost at will, which regular schools cannot do. They are schools that are freed from traditional rules and regulations and so can do things the way the Principal thinks best. Take a look at these links. The first is a New York school, the second is in my area in Souther ...[text shortened]... 61f5ddd3e93fa42&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

Here in upstate s. caroilina, there are 2 groups trying to start charter schools so that they don't have to abide by all the gov't mandated rigomarol the public schools suffer. But it's confusing--the headline TODAY was that the Public School District had denied the Charter schools "plan" as having "failed to meet 4 of 7 goals". Why would the District get a say in what private citizens want to do about starting their own school? Why did the charter group even ASK the District for any sort of approval? Seems it would be a foregone conclusion that the Public School system would NOT want to approve of any charter school.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08
1 edit

That might be true sometimes, but we are allowed to boot students out the door almost at will, which regular schools cannot do. They are schools that are freed from traditional rules and regulations and so can do things the way the Principal thinks best. Take a look at these links. The first is a New York school, the second is in my area in Souther ...[text shortened]... 61f5ddd3e93fa42&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

If charter schools offer higher pay, you'll be earning it. As far as booting students out the door, they're very unlikely to do that since each student represents income. The charter schools I've seen have almost no classroom control and are filled with students that do nothing but talk and who are openly contemptuous of the staff and teachers. They don't even try to teach anything, just hand out worksheets that the students don't do. Good luck.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Here in upstate s. caroilina, there are 2 groups trying to start charter schools so that they don't have to abide by all the gov't mandated rigomarol the public schools suffer. But it's confusing--the headline TODAY was that the Public School District had denied the Charter schools "plan" as having "failed to meet 4 of 7 goals". Why would the District ge ...[text shortened]... conclusion that the Public School system would NOT want to approve of any charter school.
The district has a say in charter schools because they get funding from the state/federal government. Who do you think pays for charter schools? Certainly not the parents.

P

weedhopper

Moves
06 Jun 08

The district has a say in charter schools because they get funding from the state/federal government. Who do you think pays for charter schools? Certainly not the parents.
I read that the parents are forkin' over 600 bucks a pop to enroll their kids in the yet-to-be-completed charter school.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I read that the parents are forkin' over 600 bucks a pop to enroll their kids in the yet-to-be-completed charter school.
Sounds like the parents are going to be very disappointed.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08
3 edits

Oh...My....God.....you're going to teach at an animo green dot school for high risk students in low income ,high crime, urban areas? And this idea pleases you? Let us know how that turns out.

Before anyone freaks and starts name calling, "animo" is what the green dot school system calls each of their schools. I'm interested in the school in my hometown, Animo Inglewood.

STS

Moves
06 Jun 08
2 edits

Locke High, a green dot school, seems to have had a large riot recently:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EvCwQwKvlT0

Sure you want to teach in one of these places?