White Holes?

White Holes?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

weedhopper

Moves
30 Mar 08

Anyone know what these are? I saw a program on the Science Channel this weekend; until then, I'd never heard of them. Apparently they are the opposite of black holes--instead of sucking stuff in, they spew stuff out. A white hole might even have been the singularity behind the big bang. BUT, black holes' existence has been proven (supposedly), and I don't remember anyone on this program saying the same about white holes. Any physicists out there who can confirm this? Thanks

E

Moves
31 Mar 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Anyone know what these are? I saw a program on the Science Channel this weekend; until then, I'd never heard of them. Apparently they are the opposite of black holes--instead of sucking stuff in, they spew stuff out. A white hole might even have been the singularity behind the big bang. BUT, black holes' existence has been proven (supposedly), and I do ...[text shortened]... am saying the same about white holes. Any physicists out there who can confirm this? Thanks
it makes me wonder if a black hole spits you out of a white hole, kinda like planet of the apes; but that is just speculation im sure im not the only one who wonders that but also wonders how that can be tested or proven.

KS

Palmerston North

Moves
31 Mar 08

What do these "whiteholes" 'spit out'?

F

Moves
31 Mar 08

I don't believe in white holes as the opposites of black holes. They are mere speculations.

It is hard to find black holes in the universe, because they are black themselves, and we can only see (=measure) secondary effects.
Then white holes are so much easier to detect, bu has any one of them been detected? No, not by this name anyway.

Some speculants says that every matter that falls in to a black hole comes out from another white hole, like every black hole has a white hole connected by a spacial worm hole. Then there should be exactly the same amount of black holes as white holes. There isn't.

What do we have as candidates for white holes?
Quesars? But they are explaied as other things.
BigBang itself? Then we have to redefine BigBang from the beginning.

If there are any white holes out there, then they are very rare, and none of them yet detected.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Mar 08

Anyone know what these are? I saw a program on the Science Channel this weekend; until then, I'd never heard of them. Apparently they are the opposite of black holes--instead of sucking stuff in, they spew stuff out. A white hole might even have been the singularity behind the big bang. BUT, black holes' existence has been proven (supposedly), and I do ...[text shortened]... am saying the same about white holes. Any physicists out there who can confirm this? Thanks
Never heard of it, but it sounds like speculation by someone who has no idea what they are talking about, or maybe misinterpretation of something completely different.

A black hole is basically simply an object so dense that even light cannot escape. They do however radiate light due to quantum effects.
So, would this hypothetical 'white hole' be an object so laking in density that light leaves at beyond light speed? It just doesn't make sense, especially if looked at as a black hole opposite.

The big bang did not 'spew stuff out'. We are still inside it.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
31 Mar 08

A sort of intergalactic George W then?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
01 Apr 08

a "white hole" is the theoretical reverse of a black hole, same equations with time running backwards. it's usually used as a miracle cure to explain how light could travel billions of lightyears in roughly 6,000 years by, you guessed it, those wacky creationists. the concept itself wasn't introduced by the 'scientific creationists' though, at least as far as I know.

Z

Moves
01 Apr 08

i think the white holes have been introduced into science fiction because of the need to have stuff in pairs: positive-negative charge, matter-antimatter, etc. and because black holes bend time space, authors think of them as doorways to other universes or possibly another point in time.

and since you go through a black hole, you come out of a white hole.

i think its only SF stuff. cute, but still sf

F

Moves
01 Apr 08

I saw a book from the -70s with the title something like "white holes and black holes".
At that time they didn't know much about quasars, the BigBang vs Steady State controversy was not settled, Black holes were theorethical in its nature.
But the "White Hole" phrase was minted back then, and is still used by people not knowing much about celestial phenomena.

Z

Moves
04 Apr 08

i don't even think that hole would be the best term to describe it. i mean when you think of hole you think of pit of a certain depth that things will fall into. but the white hole has no depth because nothing can ever approach it let alone fall into it.

i propose we give it another name. how about "white faucet"? because things pour out of it πŸ˜€?

F

Moves
04 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
i don't even think that hole would be the best term to describe it. i mean when you think of hole you think of pit of a certain depth that things will fall into. but the white hole has no depth because nothing can ever approach it let alone fall into it.

i propose we give it another name. how about "white faucet"? because things pour out of it πŸ˜€?
I don't think the name is that important of an object we don't even know exists.

A black hole, on the other hand, is not a hole, because a hole has one entrance and one exit. There is no exit from a black hole.
I have a pair of trousers, were one of the pockets has a hole. When I put something in the pocket it will fall through the trousers leg to the ground.
I a black hole everything will stay inside the 'hole'. Therefore not a hole.

May I joke in French? Black holes are not trou holes. Get it? Get it? πŸ˜€

n
I Drank What? Β©

I'm With Stupid

Moves
05 Apr 08

I was hoping for something else with this thread...oh well.

Dave

z

Moves
05 Apr 08

Kryten, one of the Red Dwarf crew, described it perfectly!

z

Moves
06 Apr 08

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
it makes me wonder if a black hole spits you out of a white hole, kinda like planet of the apes; but that is just speculation im sure im not the only one who wonders that but also wonders how that can be tested or proven.
a good joke can be done with this thread but i must be serious on this forum πŸ™

Z

Moves
07 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I don't think the name is that important of an object we don't even know exists.

A black hole, on the other hand, is not a hole, because a hole has one entrance and one exit. There is no exit from a black hole.
I have a pair of trousers, were one of the pockets has a hole. When I put something in the pocket it will fall through the trousers leg to the fore not a hole.

May I joke in French? Black holes are not trou holes. Get it? Get it? πŸ˜€
i can call a non-existant thingie anyway i want(and you can't stop me πŸ˜›). anyway, balck hole IS a hole if you compare it with a unearthed grave(or any other thing you make with a shovel, effort and some spare time that involves digging a hole πŸ˜€).

so a guy falls into a hole and breaks his leg. and a black hole is just that except that the guy breaks his atoms and he may never get out.

the hole in your trousers is not like a black hole, it is like a wormhole or an inter-dimensional tear into the fabric of realityπŸ˜€ keys go into your pocket and get out into another world (not your pocket) πŸ˜€

my french is a little rusty, i decided when i was young that english was enough. i can get what youre saying if you write slowly (and i can understand Deutsch if you type slowly and i have a dictionary πŸ˜€)
play on words require practice however