1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 11:58
    Unrelated to the debate above but what about a new competition like the knockout cup competitions in other games and sports:-.
    1.Russ asks all the clan leaders if they want to compete in the rhp cup.
    2.Teams entered must field a team of say 6 players.(the format would have to be 3:7 as this seems to be the most popular format on the site)
    3.Teams are entered into a random draw.In the case of uneven numbers, to get to the 8,16.32 format some teams have a bye in the first round.
    4.Points awarded as the current system.In the event of a drawn match either a full replay or a 1 v 1 to decide the result( to be debated)
    5.The losing team is knocked out and round 2 is drawn when round 1 is complete.
    Come to think of it, Russ needn't be involved.One of us could run it once we have the entries.When I was leader i got bored with playing the same clans and player matchups all the time.Something like this could be a breath of fresh air
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 12:54
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    That is a valid point. But ........
    I suspect site allowed players to belong to more than one clan for a reason.
    If that were taken away, not sure the impact that would have on the feature.

Also, trying to implement this rule would create a lot of chaos.
    Which clans should players dump ?
    What about games and challenges in progress ??
    etc, etc ...
    That is what I was wondering also is what impact it would have, would it help or hurt the clan system as it now exists?

Games and challenges in progress is an easy one, just finish the games in progress, just not allow anymore except with the clan you were going to be playing for. I really don't know the complications this would bring with it.

A Player would stay in the clan they felt most loyalty to, as I did on here!

-VR
  3. Here
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 06:24
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    That is what I was wondering also is what impact it would have, would it help or hurt the clan system as it now exists?

Games and challenges in progress is an easy one, just finish the games in progress, just not allow anymore except with the clan you were going to be playing for. I really don't know the complications this would bring with it.

A Player would stay in the clan they felt most loyalty to, as I did on here!

-VR
    I would think one of the reasons for being in more than one clan is that you get a lot of games with people of a similar rating
    I know you can do that in tournies but it saves you the bother of looking
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 11:39
    Originally posted by padger
    I would think one of the reasons for being in more than one clan is that you get a lot of games with people of a similar rating
    I know you can do that in tournies but it saves you the bother of looking
    padger,

Yes, I agree that is most likely a big reason why people are in more than one clan.

There are other options.

Play unrated games with people or actually "bother" to find tournies you can play in with people around your own rating. To me clicking on a mouse really isn't a big bother. 😉

Like me you've been on here long enough to know people who you could play with around your rating on a regular basis.

If a rule were made right from the beginning you could play on one clan team only then one would never miss playing in other clans. I think if you are playing for several clans you are not really loyal to one clan. my opinion of course.

There could be different ratings for Clan, tournies, club play, & private games as has been suggested by many people on the site.Now the question remains if this would be feasible for the site to consider? We have been talking about this very issue or one of the issues for many years now.

-VR
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 12:56
    i like the idea of playing for only one clan, i think we'd benefit from it, but i agree that the transition would be difficult

i wonder what issues caused Russ to dismiss the idea of a clan rating for each player

i'm guessing it was due to players being in multiple clans, but i don't know for certain

we might want to explore this, maybe there's a way to implement it under the current system
  6. Victor, New York
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 15:26
    padger,

Yes, I agree that is most likely a big reason why people are in more than one clan.

There are other options.

Play unrated games with people or actually "bother" to find tournies you can play in with people around your own rating. To me clicking on a mouse really isn't a big bother. 😉

Like me you've been on here long enough to know p ...[text shortened]... ider? We have been talking about this very issue or one of the issues for many years now.

-VR
    I play in multiple clans because I like a lot of games and the multiple clans give me that without searching for opponents. I also like the clan format as a change from the individual or tournament games. Adds a little spice to be playing on a "team". That's just me.

OTOH I would be okay with restricting to one clan if that would help anything.
  7. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 15:36
    Originally posted by Giannotti
    i like the idea of playing for only one clan, i think we'd benefit from it, but i agree that the transition would be difficult

i wonder what issues caused Russ to dismiss the idea of a clan rating for each player

i'm guessing it was due to players being in multiple clans, but i don't know for certain

we might want to explore this, maybe there's a way to implement it under the current system
    russ posted in the ELO SUGGESTIONS THREAD PAGE 21 POST 11

"Regarding suggestions about clan player rating - this is not going to happen. After considering how to prototype it, I realised that clan members with low "clan ratings" could leave and then re-join a clan to reset their rating to the starting default. Of course, this could be protected against, creating a record of the clan rating for every departing clan member which can then be used if/when they re-join, but it is all adding further complexity on top of something that is fairly complex anyway.

So, I'm ruling out any idea based on clan member "clan only" ratings (like clubs)".
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 16:49
    Originally posted by roma45

"Regarding suggestions about clan player rating - this is not going to happen. After considering how to prototype it, I realised that clan members with low "clan ratings" could leave and then re-join a clan to reset their rating to the starting default. Of course, this could be protected against, cr ...[text shortened]... anyway.

So, I'm ruling out any idea based on clan member "clan only" ratings (like clubs)".
    roma45,

So what that tells me is that who ever wants to manipulate their rating can still do so!!!

-VR
  9. Here
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 06:18

"Regarding suggestions about clan player rating - this is not going to happen. After considering how to prototype it, I realised that clan members with low "clan ratings" could leave and then re-join a clan to reset their rating to the starting default. Of course, this could be protected against, cr ...[text shortened]... anyway.

But if they had a clan rating it would stay with them whatever they did
    If I stop playing any games at all for say three months when I decided to play again my rating will not have changed so why would it if they had a clan rating ?
    The only way they could change it would be to leave the site and rejoin
  10. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 07:23
    But if they had a clan rating it would stay with them whatever they did
    If I stop playing any games at all for say three months when I decided to play again my rating will not have changed so why would it if they had a clan rating ?
    The only way they could change it would be to leave the site and rejoin
    Not sure myself just posted what Russ said
    We have it in clubs but Russ says it's a no go for clans?
  11. Here
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 08:23
    Not sure myself just posted what Russ said
    We have it in clubs but Russ says it's a no go for clans?
    Yes but I think he was under the impression we wanted a different rating for each clan we were in and that is not the case at all
    We just want a Clan rating ,it would be the same rating if you were in 10 clans not a different one for each
  12. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 11:07
    Yes but I think he was under the impression we wanted a different rating for each clan we were in and that is not the case at all
    We just want a Clan rating ,it would be the same rating if you were in 10 clans not a different one for each
    In each club you have a individual rating
    It has to be the same with clans it would be easy to sand bag a player could just start a clan Lise lots of games to keep his rating low to play for his main clan
    It's a sad fact players will cheat
    Only way is an individual clan by clan rating or make it a player can only play for one clan
    I know it spoils it for the vast majority of honest players but some will never stop trying to. Find a loophole better known as cheating
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jun '17 16:14
    In each club you have a individual rating
    It has to be the same with clans it would be easy to sand bag a player could just start a clan Lise lots of games to keep his rating low to play for his main clan
    It's a sad fact players will cheat
    Only way is an individual clan by clan rating or make it a player can only play for one clan
    I know it spoils it fo ...[text shortened]... y of honest players but some will never stop trying to. Find a loophole better known as cheating
    roma 45,

I agree, I don't see any other way of doing it!

-VR
  14. Here
    Moves
    17 Jun '17 07:34
    roma 45,

I agree, I don't see any other way of doing it!

-VR
    If we do it this way we will not get it
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jun '17 12:38
    If we do it this way we will not get it
    padger,

It appears that you are most likely correct on this, but why accept something you personally are not happy with? We will have no choice but to go with what Russ says of course in the end.

I believe we are just expressing our feelings on the issue in a civil matter. At least we are going in the right direction on it.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree