11 Oct '05 20:04
    Is fork really a verb?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 21:08
    Originally posted by Ravello
    In case you genius missed it,the "several set designs" and the "Analyze board" are available also here,but seems that in a year of being here you didn't looked around too much.
    The "drag and drop piece movement" is the best thing to increase blunders,the system here is ok as it is.

If you think there are better sites to play,then go there!

The ...[text shortened]... n be applied to you as well,so I don't need to comment further.

Oh,I forgot:FORK THE CASH!
    Reading comprehension evidently isn't your strong point. But I'll humor you, since English isn't your first language.

Yes, I know there is an analyze board, but it sucks. You can't even take back a move on it during analysis. Your only option is to start over again from the beginning. And you can't move pieces on it via drag and drop, so it takes forever to do a thorough analysis.

Yes, I know that there are several set designs, but all but one of them suck. It can't hurt to have a better variety of sets available.

Drag-and-drop does not increase blunders. Chess software such as ChessBase, Fritz, WinBoard, ChessMaster, etc. etc. uses drag-and-drop by default. Most of the chess software world uses this system. It's RHP that is the oddball.

I'm already playing at other sites. As I said before, I'm mainly here for the forums.

Do you like paying just to post on a chess forum? No? Then quit asking for $$.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 21:16
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Is fork really a verb?
    YES genius,fork is really a verb,at least you could have checked the dictionary before being so Bowmannesque.
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 21:24
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Reading comprehension evidently isn't your strong point. But I'll humor you, since English isn't your first language.

Yes, I know there is an analyze board, but it sucks. You can't even take back a move on it during analysis. Your only option is to start over again from the beginning. And you can't move pieces on it via drag and drop, so it ta ...[text shortened]... or the forums.

Do you like paying just to post on a chess forum? No? Then quit asking for $$.
    Apart reading comprehension which seems a problem of yours,not mine.
    I play on three sites(RHP,Gameknot and chessknights) and none of them have the drag and drop feature which is good only for blitz and short timed games.
    For not speaking of the fact that in your post you were speaking about "online correspondence chess sites",not about chess software like you say in your crappy post,instantlly contradicting yourself.

ChessMaster 500000000 and an online correspondence chess site are two completely different things,can you get it?

Bye bye simpleton,I'm not going to waste more time on such a void head,I'll leave to you your crappy last word that you'll surely write.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Oct '05 21:40
    I play on three sites(RHP,Gameknot and chessknights) and none of them have the drag and drop feature which is good only for blitz and short timed games.
    For not speaking of the fact that in your post you were speaking about "online correspondence chess sites",not about chess software like you say in your crappy post,instantlly contradicting yourself.

C ...[text shortened]... ore time on such a void head,I'll leave to you your crappy last word that you'll surely write.

I see; just because you haven't found it, it must not exist!

I was going to avoid mentioning other correspondence sites (to avoid promoting the competition), but if you insist: SchemingMind is an online correspondence site with a much nicer playing interface, including drag and drop.

ChessMaster 500000000 and an online correspondence chess site are two completely different things,can you get it?

Why should the piece movement method be any different? Drag-and-drop is the fastest and best movement method. Why shouldn't it be available on RHP too?

Bye bye simpleton...

Cya, troll.
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 00:341 edit
    Please note Ravello is not the type you can reason with.
    Hardly anyone calling another names is very open to really discuss anything. It is a bit sad...

I think your idea is worthy of thinking over by the ones that do the decission making up here. I take it the drag and drop feature still needs to be 'made' by hitting a move button? On www.uchess.com there is a drag and drop feature without conformation by a move button. It is prone making mistakes and blunder your pieces away when your mouse slips away on exactly the wrong moment.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 01:43
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Please note Ravello is not the type you can reason with.
    Hardly anyone calling another names is very open to really discuss anything. It is a bit sad...

I think your idea is worthy of thinking over by the ones that do the decission making up here. I take it the drag and drop feature still needs to be 'made' by hitting a move button? On www.uchess.com the ...[text shortened]... ng mistakes and blunder your pieces away when your mouse slips away on exactly the wrong moment.
    Yes, it makes sense to have a 'submit move' button on a correspondence site.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 01:43
    YES genius,fork is really a verb,at least you could have checked the dictionary before being so Bowmannesque.
    Is Bowmannesque really a word?....and no it's not in the dictionary [not mine anyway]

It's bloody awkward dragging and dropping on a laptop touchpad.....mind you I am cack-handed.😕
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 03:25
    Please keep the board as is, otherwise I may have to upgrade my Commodore 64.
  10. Johannesburg
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 06:561 edit
    Drag-and-drop is the fastest and best movement method.
    What's more efficient about:
    Click on source square, move to target square (while holding mouse button down), release mouse button.
    as compared to:
    Click on source square, move to target square, click mouse button.
    or even (when there is only one legal move from or to a particular square):
    Click source OR target square - and the other is automatically derived.

Personally, I find it easier to 'move' the mouse rather than 'drag' it - so much so, that one of the first things I do with chess programs that use drag-and-drop is figure out how to turn it off.

As the good doctor pointed out 'drag-and-drop' is horrible with a touchpad (a little less so with a mouse/trackball).

Drag-and-drop is a useful UI technique to distinguish arbitrary selection from 'source goes to target'. It works wonders in a file system when you want to differentiate between:
    - Select folder1, select folder2
    and
    - Move/Copy folder1 TO folder2.

In chess, there is no need to click (select) anything while deciding your move. Then your 1 or 2 clicks are an instruction to move; there is no ambiguity as with the file system example.

Therefore drag-and-drop is neither necessary nor more efficient.
    The slow down factor on this site is the [Move] button. It has the same impact for both the click and drag-and-drop interfaces, but is well suited to the nature of this site.
  11. Johannesburg
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 06:58
    Extra note: A number of people have harshly criticised the idea proposed in this thread (although perhaps more the way it was pitched than the idea itself). If people want better looking (whatever that means) board and set styles, they're welcome to ask for it.
    I for one am quite happy with what's available, because to me the most important questions are:
    - Does the board load quickly
    - Does the board fit on my screen
    - Can I easily identify/distinguish the pieces
  12. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 07:56
    Originally posted by rhb
    I shifted Cutlery for years using this as my marketing strap.
    On a side note, I just like to say that occasionally in heated debates like this a funny joke gets completely ignored.

rhb - I can't rec you, but I salute you.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 09:041 edit
    I was going to avoid mentioning other correspondence sites (to avoid promoting the competition), but if you insist: SchemingMind is an online correspondence site with a much nicer playing interface, including drag and drop.
    I just visited schemingmind and the board is crappy looking compared to here. Its much too small. Also, to move you click on the piece you want to move, then click again on the destination square.

[EDIT] I should add that I only looked at the Games Explorer.

D
  14. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 09:231 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You weren't thrown off the forum for having an idea.

You may have been banned for being instantly aggressive and abusive when somebody posted, who didn't like your idea.

D
    I was never aggressive or abusive. Point out one of my postings as tell me where there are aggressive and/or abusive.
  15. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 09:272 edits
    Originally posted by rhb
    I was thrown off too if that's any consolation.

That's 'cos I called you some names too in response to your post (I'm guessing you didn't see them). I think someone else was responsible for pulling apart two fighting dogs, I certainly didn't alert your post or request you be thrown off. I accept that the discussion has gone too far beyond the original ...[text shortened]... u.

If you post an apology, or edit your original post I'll not alert it. You have until 6pm.
    I see. You post something abusive/aggressive and I get thrown off. I'm beginning to see how this works now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, Master he says I must apologise or he will report me.

Just grow UP. What is WRONG with you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree