5 1/2 months

5 1/2 months

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Apr 11

Jeez, Trev! 😲

Don't put up titles like this. I thought you were pregnant for a moment! 😀

-m.

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by mikelom
Jeez, Trev! 😲

Don't put up titles like this. I thought you were pregnant for a moment! 😀

-m.
😲😲😲😲😲😲 i hope not 😳

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
4 edits

Originally posted by trev33
😲😲😲😲😲😲 i hope not 😳
i think you are, only someone with irregular hormones would utter anything crazy like
that against Christians, whose feet are shod with the good news of something
beautiful. Do we complain when Hari Krishna stop us in the street soliciting for
donations? nope, i buy them vegetables, milk and butter and occasionally a book.
People should be kind to Christians, all you need to say is, sorry im not interested and
that should be it.

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i think you are, only someone with irregular hormones would utter anything crazy like
that against Christians, whose feet are shod with the good news of something
beautiful. Do we complain when Hari Krishna stop us in the street soliciting for
donations? nope, i buy them vegetables, milk and butter and occasionally a book.
People should be kind to Christians, all you need to say is, sorry im not interested and
that should be it.
i do/did. my point was that this was the first time that i'd spent an extended period of time in a country where christains were the minoriy but yet still top of the list of people trying to convert you to their religion... it was a genuine question. and yes the hawkers and everyhing else that goes with the sub-continent were more annoying but only becuse there was more of them. in a country with 1.2 billion people most of whom being hinhu it was a surprise to only be given christain propaganda and not from any of the other more relgions in inda.

why do other religions leave me alone to figure out my own beliefs while christains feel the need to thurst their religion upon me?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

in a country with a small percentage of christians and they still manage to be the most annoying trying to convert people.

why can't they just leave people alone, not once has a hindu, muslim or any other person from a religion other than christianity confronted me with their beliefs in an attempt to change mine. why christians? why do you do it?
The answer is quite simple.

Because Christ is the only way to eternal life.

That's why they do it.

Why do you think the Muslims, Hindus, and others don't bother you? They don't care. They have nothing to offer.

Do you want to live forever? Then Christ is the way.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
2 edits

i do/did. my point was that this was the first time that i'd spent an extended period of time in a country where christains were the minoriy but yet still top of the list of people trying to convert you to their religion... it was a genuine question. and yes the hawkers and everyhing else that goes with the sub-continent were more annoying but only becuse the ...[text shortened]... e to figure out my own beliefs while christains feel the need to thurst their religion upon me?
there are one or two points worth mentioning,

It seems unlikely that you could be mistaken for anything other than a Christian,
being European, by default its assumed you are already a Christian, but to answer
your question, you must understand that Christians are motivated to reach out to
others, for to them, its an act of love. For example , in India consider the countless
persons that have been freed from the casts system as a consequence of becoming
Christians, so much so, that the Indian government has taken steps to ban
proselyting as they see it as an erosion of Indian culture, but to those who
embraced it, its freedom, freedom from a system which has prejudiced them from
birth. Now if you have been freed , and the agency which is responsible for freeing
you is readily available to others, you are almost under a moral obligation and
duress to share it with others, that they may also experience the same freedom, in
your case, not from the caste system, but perhaps some other unperceived
influence.

As far as Islam is concerned, Muslims are supposed to speak to you about it, for
whatever reason, they do not As for Hinduism, I cannot say why it is not more
openly professed and recommended to others by its adherents, perhaps there
being so many different levels of understanding, this makes it somewhat difficult to
recommend, i dont know.

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by josephw

That's why they do it.

Why do you think the Muslims, Hindus, and others don't bother you? They don't care. They have nothing to offer.

I didn't realize how simple it is. So if a Christian wants to convert me, and I say I don't want to live forever, the Christian will accept that and not try to convert me, right?

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
I didn't realize how simple it is. So if a Christian wants to convert me, and I say I don't want to live forever, the Christian will accept that and not try to convert me, right?
I find it highly amusing the idea that you meet a Christian, they speak to you and you
are immediately somehow converted. People are not converted, they change because
they recognise something of value in what is being propounded.

Moves
08 Apr 11

that should be it.
Exactly. I always invite the local JW's in for a homebrew off my kegerator when they stop by. It's the hospitable thing to do. None have yet taken me up on it which is probably a good thing since I'd never get rid of them once they've tried it.

Moves
08 Apr 11

there are one or two points worth mentioning,

It seems unlikely that you could be mistaken for anything other than a Christian,
being European, by default its assumed you are already a Christian, but to answer
your question, you must understand that Christians are motivated to reach out to
others, for to them, its an act of love. For examp ...[text shortened]... different levels of understanding, this makes it somewhat difficult to
recommend, i dont know.
don't get me started on the caste system.

being European, by default its assumed you are already a Christian

you do have a point here, not on that i had considered tbh. seeing it from thir point of view does change my perception towards this. why couldn't you say that in yor first post?

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

don't get me started on the caste system.

[b]It seems unlikely that you could be mistaken for anything other than a Christian,
being European, by default its assumed you are already a Christian

you do have a point here, not on that i had considered tbh. seeing it from thir point of view does change my perception towards this. why couldn't you say that in yor first post?[/b]
i thought it, but i cannot think why i did not say it, anyhow, i noticed this thing when teaching the asylum seekers who came to the Uk, they actually thought that in their own words, the UK was a 'Christian country', what a shock it was for them when they arrived to find it so deviod.

what experience did you have of caste system, please tell!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

in a country with a small percentage of christians and they still manage to be the most annoying trying to convert people.

why can't they just leave people alone, not once has a hindu, muslim or any other person from a religion other than christianity confronted me with their beliefs in an attempt to change mine. why christians? why do you do it?
So Jesus can get the reward for His suffering, and you avoid a devil's hell.
Kelly

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by Ullr
Exactly. I always invite the local JW's in for a homebrew off my kegerator when they stop by. It's the hospitable thing to do. None have yet taken me up on it which is probably a good thing since I'd never get rid of them once they've tried it.
Lol, kindness like that is true hospitality, that is showing kindness to strangers. Its a pity we cannot drink while on the house to house work, except beverages like tea, juice and coffee 🙁

DTG

Moves
09 Apr 11

That's why they do it.

I'm a Christian. I'm glad that I am. I have to think, though, that 99.999% of the reason I'm a Christian is because I was born in a Christian family in the Western World. Were I born to Muslims in the Middle East or Buddhists in Asia, there are pretty strong odds that I would not be a Christian. Should I be so easily 'saved' by birthright?

God loves us all. He chose where we were born. Perhaps He provides many roads to salvation. For Christians, Christ is our way. And praise Him! But if God has a better way for someone else, someone showing the love of God for some other reason, I put it in the hands of God to guide them. We should help our fellow men no matter what their faith. Christ himself healed first and preached second.

We spend so much time fretting over petty differences. We're like kids on the school yard screaming 'my prophet is better than your prophet', while God watches over us. I'm sure at times it's cute, but when words are honed to wound or when we turn to violence in their names, I expect God is not pleased. How is it that we cannot understand the simplest of things. That all men are children of God; He doesn't want us to fight for his favor.

Perhaps it is for power or glory that our leaders see fit to use God as an excuse for conquest. Perhaps it is our own human weakness that prevents us from truly putting our collective faith in God, and drop our defenses against each other. Instead we continue, eye for an eye.

Let us have peace. Let us show God that we finally understand that we are not the judges. Perhaps this will be when God decrees the Earth to no longer be necessary, and brings us all into the Kingdom.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Apr 11

That's why they do it.

No , they wait until someone comes upto their monastary and asks earnestly for spiritual instruction.
Dont you think in this way only the people that really want to be ther will be ther, and hence you will get a more unified, focussed group.
Potential spiritual adherents onlt goto a bhuddist Zen monastary if they really want to be there. The Zen monks wont go soliciting for members.