A Covenant That Can't Be Broken.

A Covenant That Can't Be Broken.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Atheists love to point out His justice as cruelty. He is infinite love, yes. He is infinite wisdom, yes. BUT HE IS ALSO INFINITE JUSTICE.

I guarantee you, any people that God took judgement on, they deserved it and probably more. Keep in mind, they were almost always trying to kill the Jews.
How many of those Midianite babies were trying to kill the Jews and deserved to be slaughtered in your monster God's infinite justice? Would you kill an infant if your God commanded you to, Darfius?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
How many of those Midianite babies were trying to kill the Jews and deserved to be slaughtered in your monster God's infinite justice? Would you kill an infant if your God commanded you to, Darfius?
Those Midianite toddlers were dangerous! A feller could trip over one and break his neck!
Not much different in that story though, where are the Carthaginians these days?
Ancient peoples were big on slaughterin', thank Plato we know better than to base our lives on whatever all those barbarians thought.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
28 Feb 05

Atheists love to point out His justice as cruelty. He is infinite love, yes. He is infinite wisdom, yes. BUT HE IS ALSO INFINITE JUSTICE.

I guarantee you, any people that God took judgement on, they deserved it and probably more. Keep in mind, they were almost always trying to kill the Jews.
I think you have a very poor understanding of infinite.

Phrases like "infinite love" and "infinite wisdom" are mawkish gibberish.

"Infinite justice"? Either an action is just or unjust. It cannot be "infinitely just."

The Apologist

Moves
28 Feb 05

Originally posted by telerion
I think you have a very poor understanding of infinite.

Phrases like "infinite love" and "infinite wisdom" are mawkish gibberish.

"Infinite justice"? Either an action is just or unjust. It cannot be "infinitely just."
If Hitler had been slapped on the wrist, that would have been justice, right tel? Especially if they used a ruler like my old teacher used to. That stuff stings.

So should we have slapped Hitler on the wrist with a ruler and called it a day? I mean, that pain would have been justice of a sort.

How about we think our answer through a bit more?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
01 Mar 05
1 edit

If Hitler had been slapped on the wrist, that would have been justice, right tel? Especially if they used a ruler like my old teacher used to. That stuff stings.

So should we have slapped Hitler on the wrist with a ruler and called it ...[text shortened]... ce of a sort.

How about we think our answer through a bit more?
Maybe you should get yourself right and walk in the Spirit. You are clearly walking in the flesh here. It reeks. This sort of behavior will never lead anyone on to Jesus.

Your pride is in the way of your ministry.

Darfius. Read the post and then state your point clearly. Your sound like SVW on a binge.

I mean, that pain would have been justice of a sort.
No it would not have been justice at all. That is why your argument breaks down. If I may wrestle some intelligence from your post, I would say that you are attempting, poorly, to describe gradation in justice. However, a slap on the wrist for Hitler is not justice at all.

BTW even if you could show some gradation. You would still not be close to justifying the use of "infinite" as a modifier for justice.

One final admonishment, spend more energy coming up with well constructed posts and less with juvenile banter that only makes you look hypocritical. Is this why you no longer post at the Sec Web? Did they ban you?

The Apologist

Moves
01 Mar 05

Maybe you should get yourself right and walk in the Spirit. You are clearly walking in the flesh here. It reeks. This sort of behavior will never lead anyone on to Jesus.

Your pride is in the way of your ministry.

Darfius. Read the post and then state your point clearly. Your sound like SVW on a binge.

[b]I mean, that pain would have been ...[text shortened]... makes you look hypocritical. Is this why you no longer post at the Sec Web? Did they ban you?
Juvenile banter? And the only pride I have is for the glory of my God.

Check out this definition of infinite I got from dictionary.com:

Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance

Check out this definition of justice I got from dictionary.com:

Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.

Now tell me again why God doesn't have boundless righteousness?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
01 Mar 05
1 edit

Juvenile banter? And the only pride I have is for the glory of my God.

Your posts do not display the humility you profess.

Now let's go to your argument.

infinite:
Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance

justice:
Conformity to moral rightness in action or attitude; righteousness.
The adjectives "great" and "large" in the definition of "infinite" are in reference to size. For example, in the case of "infinite patience," the measure on patience is time. To be infinitely patient means that you can endure something for an unlimited or indefinite amount of time. How does size describe justice?

You might naturally ask what about "infinitely important." In this case, I would say that the dictionary is presenting an example of hyperbole. By describing somethings importance as infinite simply means that it is important. If you insist on saying that this importance has some measure, then at the very least I can show that it is bounded from above and thus not truely infinite.

As far as "boundless" goes, I claim that "boundless" has no meaning when it describes justice unless you can even speak of some justice as being bounded in the first place. Otherwise it is a superfluous adjective like "odorless" justice or "sugarless" justice.

How do you describe justice so that we can distinguish bounded or finite justice from boundless or infinite justice? Going back to the definition of justice you found, it says "conformity to moral rightness or action." How do you "infinitely" conform? Until you can explain this, I don't think you have offered anything but a meaningless phrase.

Now tell me again why God doesn't have boundless righteousness?
I never made any statements about your god's righteousness being bounded. Although the same critiques I made about "infinite justice" apply to "boundless righteousness."

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 Dec 05

I never made any statements about your god's righteousness being bounded. Although the same critiques I made about "infinite justice" apply to "boundless righteousness."
And to think: this was the last of the first. Doesn't seem all that long ago, now does it?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
The existence of the Jewish people is a reference to, or almost a proof for, the fact that God exists. That's why so many anti-religious lunatics, many times disguised as devout believers, tried to destroy the Jewish people in the past . These dangerous fanatics have always failed in the past, are failing now and they will always fail in the future.

God ...[text shortened]... not by trying to kill and destroy one party or trying to deny, kill or crucify the other Party.
Why can't those of African descent make this claim, that their survival under
constant persecution doesn't make them a chosen people? Why can't Moslem
claim it, as they have suffered and do suffer great persecution?

What is it that makes the Jews special in your eyes, Ivanhoe? Is that they
claimed that God loved them and will preserve them, and, because they have
been preserved, this serves as some sort of proof? If a African religion could
show the same, would you believe that God had a covenant with them?

Nemesio

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
And to think: this was the last of the first. Doesn't seem all that long ago, now does it?
An oldie, but a goodie. Nice to see the evolution of a shrieking hysteric apologetic into a somber heckler.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
If a African religion could
http://www.africawithin.com/jochannan/african_origins.htm

l

London

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by KneverKnight
Times change, we don't have stocks and pillories anymore and we don't crucify thieves.
We just "render" them to countries that do, right?

Oh yes, modern man is sooo "civilised".

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
Why can't those of African descent make this claim, that their survival under
constant persecution doesn't make them a chosen people? Why can't Moslem
claim it, as they have suffered and do suffer great persecution?

What is it that makes the Jews special in your eyes, Ivanhoe? Is that they
claimed that God loved them and will preserve them, and ...[text shortened]... n religion could

Nemesio
There are actual, specified contracts related to land, progeny and etc., made prior to the granting of any of the same.
While a few of the existing races may be able to do some impressive tracing of their roots, none can lay claim to having prior contracts purposing what they are in retrospect able to trace.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
There are actual, specified contracts related to land, progeny and etc., made prior to the granting of any of the same.
While a few of the existing races may be able to do some impressive tracing of their roots, none can lay claim to having prior contracts purposing what they are in retrospect able to trace.
First, what unique claims did Jews make which were fulfilled?
Second, can you cite any other religion's claims that either not
fulfilled or not specific enough to merit consideration?

Personally, I don't believe that you've studied the prior contracts
such that you can make a positive statement about their claims' not
being valid.

Nemesio

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
We just "render" them to countries that do, right?

Oh yes, modern man is sooo "civilised".
You make my point; it's the exception that proves the rule. When governments try that and get caught, people complain and if they complain loudly enough, it will be stopped. As has happened.